Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010
I use a windows PC, and iPad and a nexus 5

Zero issues. You just have to know what services to use.

Reactions: nordique

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I use a windows PC, and iPad and a nexus 5

Zero issues. You just have to know what services to use.

Yeah, but I think the issue for many people is that once you've gotten used to a certain workflow on one platform, it's like why even go through the effort to switch platforms? In my case, I have Apple everything. Android is intriguing, but I quite like how all the stock Apple apps sync well across all my devices, including my Mac. I've gotten used to iTunes as my media manager and I don't want to put in the time to learn a new system, frankly. Same with photos. It all just works. So unless Android offers me something extraordinarily different and better, changing platforms would just be changing for the sake of change.

gollum

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2007
NKY
Since someone brought up the Windows phone...
I needed a second phone so last week I picked up a Lumia 920 and have been quite impressed with WP 8.1 and how fast it runs on year and half old hardware and well it integrates with my Apple devices.
iCloud mail, contacts, and calendar sync is built into 8.1 and works well. Actually it works better than Apple, getting stuff to sync up on my 4S takes can take up to 20 minutes vs. a couple on the 920.
With the MS Windows Phone app on my Macbook I was able to move my selected iTunes playlists to the 920 easily.
With my free 10 gb OneDrive app installed on my Macbook Pro, iPhone, WP, iPad and Kindle Fire HDX, I can move stuff around quickly and easily.
Nokia makes a Mac OS app called Photo Transfer but I have not tried it yet.
OneNote works very well syncing between the Macbook, iPad and the 920.
It's been hard to believe Microsoft made this OS.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
So I'm assuming most people on here already have a Mac and/or an iOS device. If that's the case, why go Android for your third device, whether it be phone or tablet? It seems like it makes so much more sense to stay completely within an ecosystem. Thoughts?

I started off with the iphone 4, at that time it was in a league of its own. These days there are simply much better phones available. Android works well with all my Mac computers, in fact it works better then the iPhone did as i can copy my music ect to it directly via usb, no need for the rubbish itunes sync. I cant go back to an iPhone as long as Apple continue to lock IOS down.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
I have an iMac and iPad. Tried two different Android sets. One of the main reasons I went back to iOS was because of what this thread is about.

I liked having the pics I took on my phone already in my iPhoto. If I put some info on a notepad on my iPad, it would automatically be on all my devices. I like that I didn't have to mess with 3rd party programs to do stuff like this. Also when I would set a reminder, it would alert on all my devices, which would ensure I wouldn't miss something important like a doctors appointment.

Universal apps were a big reason too, and not having to double dip anymore. Buy it once, have it for my phone and tablet. Ends up saving a big chunk of money in the long run.

Also iCloud game saves is great, and a bigger feature now that more games are supporting it. I love completing San Andreas missions on my iPad at home, and continuing in the same spot later when i'm traveling with my iPhone.

One of the biggest annoyances when I was on Android was not being able to facetime with friends and family. I couldn't get my parents, and other relatives to make skype accounts and keep the app running.

Also iMessage is a much more cohesive experience when you're using it with other iOS users. And I like continuing on a conversation between all my devices and seeing all the previous texts.

Though for people like myself that love tech, it is nice to have both platforms, and to see what new features both OS'es are bringing to the table. And variety can be nice in some ways. But when I got a Kindle Fire HD for an awesome black friday price, the only thing it did for me was make me like my iPad more.

Last edited:

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
Also iMessage is a much more cohesive experience when you're using it with other iOS users. And I like continuing on a conversation between all my devices and seeing all the previous texts.

This is the biggest thing I miss about not having an iOS device. We have a Macbook Pro and iMac and most of our family and friends have iPhones. iMessage doesn't play well with SMS programs for Android we've found, I wish Apple would released it as a stand alone app.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
I think it depends on how you use the device.

For me. The iPhone is perfect. It does everything I want and need a phone to do. I had an android phone for three days before I sold it and went back to an iPhone. It felt clunky and unintuitive to use as a phone. Everything needed two or three extra steps.

I have had an iPad for 4 years. I have loved having an iPad. But my iPad thee has just bit the dust. I will be replacing it with an android tab. Why? Because it's main function is media. I watch films etc on it. For that I use XBMC. Something I can't get on an iPad unless it's jailbroken. So if I buy an iPad now. There's no jailbreak available. Which means the tablet can't be used in the way I want to use it.

I buy an android tab and don't have to worry about waiting for jailbreaks or restoring to a none jailbreakable firmware if it needs restoring etc.

So it doesn't make sense to replace my iPad with another iPad.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
The only thing I miss from iTunes on my Android phone is managing and listening my podcasts on the road. I would rather not sync them over Google Music.

Pocket Casts is a great podcast app on Android. I highly recommend it.

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
Everyone always brings up iMessage as a reason for liking iPhones. I've had android and iPhone, currently a 5s but just had a Note 3 and I don't understand this point. What is so great about iMessage?

Can only offer why I prefer it. Let me first preface that the vast majority of my regular contacts have iPhones so much of these benefits are contingent upon this environment. Using Messages (actually hasn't been called iMessage for a while now ;)) offers me the following benefits;

1) No MMS size limitations as imposed by my carrier. I moved from Android just before Hangouts was revised to integrate SMS/MMS so my experience predates this. I found the stock messaging app in both stock Android (Nexus devices) and on the HTC One to be very limiting (sending MMS photos was limited to 300K :eek:). I did switch to Textra and liked it well enough, but still would have problems sending any photos greater than 1 MB. Sending video was simply not a viable option. Using Messages I don't have to worry about this.

2) Delivery confirmation and Read Receipts--love to know my message went through and was actually seen.

3) No message size limitations. Sending messages to other iOS devices aren't cut up into 160 character chunks.

4) Being able to message my kids on their iPad/iPods. This is a biggie for me.

5) Seamless integration with standard SMS/MMS. I don't need to specify how the message is sent--just pick a contact and if they aren't using an iPhone, it will automatically revert to standard SMS/MMS.

6) Messages are synced across all of my devices (iPads, iPhone, Mac). I'm aware this can also be achieved with other applications (i.e. Hangouts) but again, as so many of my contacts are using iOS, it's already seamless.

I won't preach Messages as the the best solution available, just that it's the best solution for me and my particular situation. I can certainly see how many of these benefits would be diminished (or non-existent) for someone else not so heavily immersed in the Apple ecosystem.

More or less all of this. Apple has more or less been my main source of income for 7-8 years now. Worked for an AASP, worked for Apple, worked for another AASP and now work as a Mac admin for a large organization. As such, the majority of people I associate with tend to be Mac users and even more so are iPhone users.

I frequently carry on with conversations across my iPhones, my iPad and my Macs. My personal iPhone, the 5, is the phone that I would replace if I made the switch. That's also the device that is always with me, it's by far the most heavily used of all my tech. The thought of changing up the messaging, which admittedly is one of the main things I use it for, on my main device is intimidating to say the least.

Maybe it would just force me to keep my work iPhone 5S on me as well at all times.

For me. The iPhone is perfect. It does everything I want and need a phone to do. I had an android phone for three days before I sold it and went back to an iPhone. It felt clunky and unintuitive to use as a phone. Everything needed two or three extra steps.

See, that's what I'm afraid of. The clunky and unintuitive feeling is exactly what I've left with each time I've played with one. It seems cool enough that I'm obviously considering a change, but I can't help feeling like it would be two steps back.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Pocket Casts is a great podcast app on Android. I highly recommend it.
I will take a look when I have a chance but what I would really like to avoid is duplicating effort and trying to manage two different sets of the same podcasts.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I will take a look when I have a chance but what I would really like to avoid is duplicating effort and trying to manage two different sets of the same podcasts.

Pocket Casts syncs across iOS and Android.
No desktop client though, which is a shame.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
So I'm assuming most people on here already have a Mac and/or an iOS device. If that's the case, why go Android for your third device, whether it be phone or tablet? It seems like it makes so much more sense to stay completely within an ecosystem. Thoughts?

I use a Windows PC, iPad and an Android Phone (Note 3).

Haven't used a Mac PC since the mid 90's. Love them, perhaps they do offer more but the costs are crazy high and with a Windows machine, I build my own to my specs and needs.

Tablet wise, the iPad is from my work. Offers a nice interface, simple, satisfies the kids and wife, etc. I could easily adopt an android tablet myself but for now the iPad is our tablet.

Phone wise, no contest for me. I'm a power user of a smart phone and the Note 3 is light years above the iPhone in so many ways. For my wife and youngest son, iPhones are easier.

I pick the device best suited to the tasks it's used for and person/people using it. I'm sorry but in many ways Apple did a great thing in targeting the masses with simple. People everywhere in many aspects of their lives will compromise their needs for simple. Android is for those that outgrow simple and are less willing to compromise.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008

Have the following:

- MacBook Pro
- iPad
- had an iPhone 5
- sold it & got Galaxy S4

The iPad sits there gathering dust and only proves useful on holiday. The MacBook is essential for me.

The iPhone? If it had a bigger screen and allowed a bit of customisation, I may have kept it. But that, combined with increasing prices, being locked into iTunes where I can't even lend my own wife an audiobook and general inertia of Apple made me want to try out Android.

I really like Android but it comes down to whoever is hottest - if Apple delivers the goods with the larger iPhone 6 and create some amazing iWatch, then I'll go back to Apple.

These companies with their gigantic piles of cash and planned obsolescence could not give ONE DAMN about loyalty, so why should we? Use what works best for you.

----------

More or less all of this. Apple has more or less been my main source of income for 7-8 years now. Worked for an AASP, worked for Apple, worked for another AASP and now work as a Mac admin for a large organization. As such, the majority of people I associate with tend to be Mac users and even more so are iPhone users.

I frequently carry on with conversations across my iPhones, my iPad and my Macs. My personal iPhone, the 5, is the phone that I would replace if I made the switch. That's also the device that is always with me, it's by far the most heavily used of all my tech. The thought of changing up the messaging, which admittedly is one of the main things I use it for, on my main device is intimidating to say the least.

Maybe it would just force me to keep my work iPhone 5S on me as well at all times.

See, that's what I'm afraid of. The clunky and unintuitive feeling is exactly what I've left with each time I've played with one. It seems cool enough that I'm obviously considering a change, but I can't help feeling like it would be two steps back.

I agree that certain things in Android are clunky, but there is a learning curve attached to everything.

It's funny, since I switched to Android 6 months ago, when I have to use someone's iPhone, it's actually become a lot less easy to use than it used to be.

I had iPhones for 5 years, and can definitely see that newcomers to it require a lot more hand-holding than they used to do. Or maybe smartphones in general have just become more complex.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
It's funny, since I switched to Android 6 months ago, when I have to use someone's iPhone, it's actually become a lot less easy to use than it used to be.

I know the feeling. I try finding settings for particular things on my wife's iPhone and it's often more difficult to find or layers deep. Granted, it's a 4s that I had one of too but now it feels as slow as molasses.

Twixt

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012

I already own Mac computer, iphone and tablet

Phone is typical mobility use where my imac obviouly stays at home, tablet goes along for travels but stays at home rest of the time.

It would make sense to keep seemsless ecosystem only when this ecosystem does not bring any limitation. Let's be honest, iOS is very limited with poor files management, zero custom (I do not care as a pro user but I can understand some people mind), rather expensive apps. On the hardware side, display screen tiny size is most obvious cons but no SD card slot, no removable battery etc make it just non competitive.

It terms of usage, only tablet is fine with iOS as my use is non refined. Basic internet browsing or some gaming, reading, music listenning etc
But for both computer and phone I need much more than basic set. Apple is perfect for streamlined limited usage. For pro/demanding/hardcore usage these products are just not fitting well, ecosystem or not ecosystem...

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Pocket Casts syncs across iOS and Android.
No desktop client though, which is a shame.
I believe what I would like is to import my podcasts from iTunes to an Android device. Now I could just add all the feeds to Pocket Casts. It looks like a good application but I am a little uneasy without a trial.

I need to pick up a new phone just to run it. My Nexus 7 had its headphone port zapped a few too many times and is limited to outputting one channel only.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Simple... After 3 years of non-stop issues, I no longer play nice with Apple and instead of working with me, they officially showed me the door in December.

Once my iMac dies, I am gone. I think it is great that folks can juggle a variety of platforms and OS. There are products for everyone.

I am actually looking forward to learning new systems.

And resurrecting ancient threads. My bad.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Simple... After 3 years of non-stop issues, I no longer play nice with Apple and instead of working with me, they officially showed me the door in December.

Once my iMac dies, I am gone. I think it is great that folks can juggle a variety of platforms and OS. There are products for everyone.

I feel the same way. I've got a Note 3, iPhone 7+, Windows laptop used primarily and a wide variety of other platforms as standby devices or just things to tinker with. I think just tying yourself to one manufacturer takes the fun out of technology.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland

I'm slowly moving away from Apple myself. I think it's great to learn more platforms/OS's. That's why I am huge on cross-platform apps and I prefer to support developers/companies who make their apps available on as many OS's as possible. In my opinion, it's better for the consumer.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Short version: for me, Android just does more for my work flow than iPhones - and actually implements surprisingly well with Macs, plus it complements iPads very well....same thing that got me hooked on OS X, got me hooked on Android...work flow.

You still get your iOS "fix" from iPads, your FaceTime, iMessages etc... I find having an iPhone and an iPad to be a wee bit redundant, its literally the same thing just on a bigger or smaller screen; with either multitasking or phone functions (which can also be a huge plus depending who you ask)

(very) Long version if you're interested in reading it:
I still have windows on my macbook, (windows 10 actually runs slightly faster on the macbook than macOS but both run fine), still have an iPhone as a secondary device, and tried out many other tablets/combos from Nexus 9 to Surface Pro 3

For me, as far as tablets go, the iPad is the best tablet experience. You get a fully fleshed out iOS experience (multitasking et al) and an excellent pencil (I have a mini 4 right now but will move on to the new iPad this year so I can jump on board....it is very awesome for learning what many of my classes require) which completes a lot of what I need in a thin portable form factor like a tablet. Plus, what purpose does it serve having iOS on two devices, one being bigger than the other? These aren't the days of 3.5" displays anymore, the larger screens on modern iPhones negate a lot of that glistering attraction.

As far as computers go, I was a windows guy since Windows 98...Windows Vista is what turned me off Windows. I thought it was terrible, buggy, laggy...you name it. Debated jumping to Mac at that time as I had used macs in grade school and had no ill feelings towards them, but the prices I couldn't justify at the time. Just too much money. I was only in high school at the time and had to be careful with my budget.

Plus, Windows 7 won me back - I loved windows 7 and all was well until Windows 8 came out and I just couldn't "like" it. For me the main reason was it disrupted all my work flow significantly. I had just started university so I needed something with proper work flow. I tried my best to like it, I really did - I gave it several chances including when 8.1 came out, but it just didn't work. It just didn't "click" with me.

This was when I gave OS X a go, in 2011 with Lion. At this point I had already had my first iPhone (and iPhone 4) so I was quite positive about giving Apple a go, I had money saved up and I could afford a Mac computer. I was also looking for my first laptop instead of a desktop, so the Macbook was high on my list.

...and wow did OS X blow me away...I know Lion isn't held in the greatest regard but the work flow was unlike anything I had experienced.

Multiple desktops and gestures was beautiful to me and it helped so much with everything. I was gliding through research papers, easily connecting my iPhone to the computer, I had tons of ports and space on the Macbook Pro that I ended up purchasing, I could upgrade it....it was the gift that kept on giving.

I was not, and am not a gamer on computers so that advantage of Windows PC's never attracted me. I was just "used" to Windows and knew the ins and outs so thats why I loved it.

However, using multiple desktops and gestures blew my mind and that was what convinced me OS X was for me: the user experience. It was a learning curve for me, but a small one, and I fell in love.

Plus, you could bootcamp which was awesome. I am currently not a fan of where Apple is going with their current MacBooks with the inflated prices, especially in Canada, so I am a bit turned off...(though I watched this happen as a non-OS X user at the time of the Macbook Air's release when it first came out so I am looking forward to future iterations)...

...and my current MacBooks work fine so its not a big deal. I use my old MBP as my main "desktop" (w external monitor and large 4TB external drive) and my retina Macbook as my portable unit, something I got a fantastic deal on because my cousin works at the Apple store, that I lug around to and from school.

It suffices, I require a computer for school anyways so it works out. I have Windows 10 on it as well - for me again this was a big selling point, that we can use 2 operating systems on one computer and seamlessly too. Windows 10 is my favourite version of Windows since 7, I love the dark theme it has and it runs beautifully on the retina Macbook. Seriously sometimes I wonder if the macbook was designed for Windows 10 or OS X!

So although I'm a fan of Windows, I'm an even bigger fan of MacOS

Now....as far as phones go...I was a staunch iPhone user since the iPhone 4 won me over. I loved transferring my data from the old phone to the new phone, seamlessly. At the time I became a dedicated iPhone user, Apple had - easily - the best camera in a phone, by FAR the best build quality, and the fastest operating system with enough features to satisfy my needs.

But 2017 is not 2011. Today, modern high end Android phones offer beautiful hardware often times with more features than their iPhone counterparts. It is subjective, but for example the Galaxy S7 offered just enough to win me over the iPhone 6s, and then when I purchased an iPhone 7 it actually felt like "downgrading" despite being half a year newer.

That moment, that "this feels like a downgrade" was when I realized Android had become more useful to me. I had tried many times to go android just to test it out. I went with low quality options vs the iPhone (Moto G), higher quality (One Plus) and Top of the Line (Nexus 6P, Galaxy S6) but none were quite enough to win me over. Though the S6 came close.

But when the Galaxy S7 came out, I had a chance to get one for free on contract at launch from my carrier so I decided to do it. The iPhone 6s prior to this was my favourite phone ever. But i gave it to my mother who needed a new phone. I decided to take on the S7 full on and give it at least a month before I decided to switch back to iOS.

But that switch never came. Little things about it kept impressing me. I know it didn't run stock Android but it didn't matter. I was very impressed with the OLED display and the resolution was immediately noticeable. I appreciated the water resistance which came in handy during trips to the mountains or lake. I loved the battery life, which after some customization blew away anything I had experienced with my iPhone (which required daily charging)...heck I loved fast changing too...and apparently the S7 didn't even have top of the line fast charging compared to other phones.

Always on Display turned out to be a trojan horse, but it was really the whole package....it did so much, it had an exceptional camera (with very fast focusing), I could upgrade the storage when I needed, I could customize it significantly more than the iPhone....it basically had so many features that I didn't know I wanted. Even that little LED light that I always thought was annoying turned out to be excellent.

And oh, the back button. Sure you can swipe back on iOS (which I also like a lot) but the back button works wonderfully when you get used to it...I still reach for it on my iPhone.

Then the 7 came out, and I couldn't come back the same way I couldn't go back to Windows. Yes it was fast, yes it was a welcomed return to an operating system I enjoyed, and iOS 10 was the best iOS experience yet....but it just didn't compare to what I could with Android.

Android runs smooth and fast enough, it has terrific build quality (the S7 reminds me of the iPhone 4 with its glass on glass with an Aluminum 7000 series metal band around it), it has a fantastic camera that loads faster, focuses faster, and is identical to my iPhone 7 in terms of overall picture quality, no problems with the finger print reader (though its not quite as perfect as the iPhones...but it works)...and the screen....iPhone 7 might have the best display yet in an iPhone, with a rich colour scale and fantastic warm colours but it *does not* compare to the S7's screen. It is night and day. OLED offers true blacks and the resolution is so crisp. You can notice the most it when watching videos, which I do one the plane often (my iPad is a 16GB machine unfortunately and is already packed with my school focused apps)

The one knock against the Galaxy (and this is a big one) is the speakers are crap compared to the iPhone 7...iPhone 7 speakers might be some of the best I've heard in a smartphone to date. The S7's are even worse than the S6's, which I used to have so I could compare them well. That said, it does have a headphone jack which I can use some very expensive headphones I invested in without issue and it sounds very nice (while charging it if I need! without getting a dongle or using an adapter...sorry iPhone 7, function over design here). Wired > Bluetooth, even though I got a nice pair of high-end wireless beats headphones that sound great...but bluetooth has a ways to go still.

It was the exact same feeling I had when I went from Windows to Mac OS, that i got from iOS to Android....it simply enhanced my work flow. The widgets was by far the biggest one for me, specifically Google Calendar which syncs my busy schedule with ease....and there are a few medical apps that while great on iOS, I can instantly access them from the widgets which I need for school.

The dark theme I use plus a black background gives me twice the battery life I get from my iPhone 7. And there is a super handy Ultra Power save mode that extends my Galaxy's life if I need.

So now its all about work flow...and I find that my workflow is most enhanced with an Android Phone, an Apple Computer, and an iPad.

Phew - Congratualtions to anyone who read that gigantic essay!! (why tho?) Hope it was entertaining to someone out there lol

MindsEye

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
I buy what fits my needs. i prefer mac on the desktop/laptop side of things but there is absolutely nothing there that ties me to iOS. The only times they're used together is with iTunes to back up, restore and transfer (which can obviously be done on Windows).

i personally like to keep my devices as independent of each other as possible in terms of what they have and what i use them for. Notes is typically the only thing i sync across devices.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
For me it's because I like having the latest mobile tech advancements that's available to the public. Add the fact that I'm not locked to one app store, complete use of BT, file manager, external storage, OTG, WPS Wifi access, and a whole lot more.

But I always still had an iPhone, that I rotate with whatever Android phone I'm using. At the moment I'm using the LG V20 and iPhone 7 plus. I can't wait for the Note 8 and iPhone 8 later this year. Can't wait to compare them too.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
For me it's because I like having the latest mobile tech advancements that's available to the public. Add the fact that I'm not locked to one app store, complete use of BT, file manager, external storage, OTG, WPS Wifi access, and a whole lot more.

But I always still had an iPhone, that I rotate with whatever Android phone I'm using. At the moment I'm using the LG V20 and iPhone 7 plus. I can't wait for the Note 8 and iPhone 8 later this year. Can't wait to compare them too.
Sounds like you have the best of both worlds! :)

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
I did. I have an iMac, an iPhone 7 Plus, and my Samsung Tab A should be here on Monday or Tuesday. I love both operating systems but for the phone I prefer the iPhone. I already have an Apple Watch and NOTHING Google has beats iMessage. NOTHING.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I keep all my old phones and I have five lines on T-Mobile (it's very affordable). I have a 6S and a 6S+ using two of the lines, a Note 5 and two S7 Edge phones using the other three. Clearly I don't need 5 lines, and I only use one as an actual phone to get texts and calls on, the other lines I use just for data for apps.

I also have a S7 Edge with a display that's shattered at the bottom, still usable. I have a Note 5, Note 4 and a Note Edge.

I keep all these phones charged and for me, using Android and iOS is the most natural thing in the world.

As for tablets, I have a iPad Mini 2, 9.7 iPad pro and a Nexus 7. I tried using the Nexus 7 last week after not using it for a year. The Nexus 7 was annoying because it's so slow now even though I kept it on KitKat because 5.01 made it crawl. Also, the Nexus 7 took over 12 hrs to charge.

I like how I can backup the iPhones to my MBP and I can also backup my S7 edge phone and Note 5 to my MBP using Smart Switch. It's all pretty seamless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.