Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
Lots of threads about upcoming models and a common theme: waterproofness. I'm curious why this has become such a 'thing'? Is water damage that prevalent of an issue? Do people need their iphones in the shower or pool? I'm not against this, I'm just surprised at how much momentum it has gotten, relative to other features we want to see.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Lots of threads about upcoming models and a common theme: waterproofness. I'm curious why this has become such a 'thing'? Is water damage that prevalent of an issue? Do people need their iphones in the shower or pool? I'm not against this, I'm just surprised at how much momentum it has gotten, relative to other features we want to see.

I think the phone makers are running out of new wiz-bang features and for the careless, waterproofing might be good. I am not bothered about loosing the headphone jack as I have been on wireless for a long time now.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
This is all they can come up with now. The phone died a while ago and our "phones" are actually multimedia playback devices that can also make phone calls. Waterproofing is the next cool thing they can come up with. Doesn't do a thing for me though.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
This is all they can come up with now. The phone died a while ago and our "phones" are actually multimedia playback devices that can also make phone calls. Waterproofing is the next cool thing they can come up with. Doesn't do a thing for me though.

For me it is simple, waterproofing makes your phone more reliable. While I don't plan on taking my phone in the pool, it would be nice to have it out by the pool and not have to worry about it getting wet from splashing, dogs shaking off, accidents etc.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I think it's more "liquid" proofing.

Lots of people use their phones around food and drink. Same people tend to spill those drinks on or around their phones.

Waterproofing would imply to those people that they don't have to worry that they spilled their latte on their phone at Starbucks, their soda on it at McDonalds, or anything like that. And yes, around the pool as some find themselves accidentally tossed in by 'friends' from time to time.

They can be careless and not suffer the consequences (or so they might think).

But labeling it "liquidproof" thereby implying that that same segement of the customer base is careless and accident prone (they are) would alienate those customers. So, the manufacturers simply call it waterproofing.

My take on it at least.

Reactions: jerwin and JamesMB

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
For me it is simple, waterproofing makes your phone more reliable. While I don't plan on taking my phone in the pool, it would be nice to have it out by the pool and not have to worry about it getting wet from splashing, dogs shaking off, accidents etc.

I agree with that, but it's 2016. Waterproofing technology has existed for a long time, it shouldn't be touted as some ground-breaking feature. Include it in the next version, give it 5 minutes on stage, and move on is all I'm saying.

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Underwater photo during scuba diving, in swimming pool, at the beach, or simply wash off that grease under sink from your greasing finger when eating juicy dripping burger.
Remember, iPhone is the most popular single brand camera in Flickr.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
unless you drop your phone in the toilet.

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
Yeah. We can take pictures underwater. And at beaches, we will be able to go swimming with our phones instead of leaving the phones at hotel rooms.

And most importantly, for OCD people like me, I would be able to wash the phone with soapy water everyday instead of using disinfectant wipes (70-towel lasts me only a couple of days, and if I'm able to clean the phone with water I'll be able to save considerable amount of $$$)

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
Not sure there is any phone so waterproof you don't have to worry about it:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/best-waterproof-phones/2/

However a little water resistance would be nice.
Yup, I doubt that they would ever advertise it as "waterproof" (would leave themselves open to to many lawsuits, and just think about the endless list of waterproofgate threads on this forum) More likely, if it gets introduced at all, they will say water resistance to a certain depth/pressure, or resistance to splash damage.

freeskier93

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008

The newest iPhones are already pretty water resistant, I wouldn't think twice about those kinds of things short of the phone falling in the pool.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
If the next iPhone were waterproof or water resistant that would be a big selling point for me. I saw on ifixit that the iPhone 6s Plus has seals around some of the components which already provides a degree of protection.

Skorpio

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
SC USA
The newest iPhones are already pretty water resistant, I wouldn't think twice about those kinds of things short of the phone falling in the pool.
Not that Apple approves this, or should anyone try it, but some internet tests show how water resistant today's phones are-

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
It should be noted that iPhones are far more water/spill resistant than I think some in this thread think they are.

In terms of scuba diving or snorkeling with an iPhone, is this now expected?

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
Yes it's fully expected to go snorkeling while taking selfies, use your phone in the hut tub or during a shower.
Go for it:D
You left out dishwasher and washing machine....Just think how handy that would be, you would get the phone and case cleaned at the same time.;)

Reactions: Applejuiced

TheBoxer

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
The real issue to focus on is on creating a screen that doesn't shatter easily. That's what people care about. That, and the camera. Everyone uses it to take pics and everyone cares about dropping their phone. Those are their #1's. The rest of the stats most of the general public doesn't even look at or understand.

I've met tons of people with shattered screens, but very few that dropped their phone in water.

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
It should be noted that iPhones are far more water/spill resistant than I think some in this thread think they are.

In terms of scuba diving or snorkeling with an iPhone, is this now expected?

It is expected for people for do it all the time, and if you live next to ocean, or on island, it is part of life, and underwater photo is also part of life.

Reactions: Applejuiced
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.