Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Why haven't your purchased a 2012 iMac?

• Did not care for the new design

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • Loss of DVD Drive

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • No Blu-Ray support

Votes: 10 5.7%
  • Insufficient user upgrade options

Votes: 31 17.7%
  • No 3TB Bootcamp

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • Lack of SSD options, no 256/512 etc.

Votes: 28 16.0%
  • No firewire

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Bought a Mini instead

Votes: 15 8.6%
  • Waiting on Mac Pro

Votes: 22 12.6%
  • Other

Votes: 89 50.9%

• Total voters

28Gauge

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2011
DFW
Seeing that my 2011 27" iMac is just over a year old, I am not in the market for a new one. I am quite happy with what I have right now and have no need to upgrade until this one gets to be quite older or bites the dust.

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
I wanted one for my parents, but to make it future proof it had to have a SSD. Apple is just ridiculous for not making the fusion drive standard or giving at least the option to BTO the fusion drive in the base 21,5" iMac.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
I have a MBA and thunderbolt display setup. Also I have my custom built Windows machine. Plus I don't like the fact that functionality was cut for thinness... in a nearly immobile desktop. Oh Apple sometimes you confuse me.

Coffee Minutes

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2012
Here's my reasoning...

I plan on purchasing the late-2012 iMac but am holding off for a few months.

The machine I will most likely purchase will be a BTO:

27" 3.2GHz i5
16GB RAM
1TB FUSION
GTX 675MX 1GB

My reasoning for holding off has everything to do with this being a new generation machine. Ideally, I would prefer to be in cycle to purchase the next iteration, but am imminently in need of a new machine, so the late-2012 will be my next computer.

However, I would like to see the lengthy shipping delays disappear, for one. When there is such a strong demand for a new generation along with published issues with the manufacturing of them (screen assembly in particular and potentially other parts), it concerns me. I'd like to see the machine out in the wild a little longer to see if any serious issues arise that require Apple to make adjustments to the assembly or production line processes. I'm also worried that the workers who assemble these gems are working fast and trying to meet launch deadlines and order demands, and in the process, rush the build quality. Something we saw with the iPhone 5 quality control issues.

Until the online store catches up to a more consistent schedule of 3-4 days of delivery time, I plan to hold off. This will be balanced or concurrent with keeping my ear to the ground to see if anyone has been having serious issues. It seems there has not been much noise with the earlier-released 21.5" version, but the 27" has only just begun to arrive in owners hands. I'd like to see what the overall feedback is with the 27" machine, before investing close to $3,000 on it, inclusive of AppleCare and state tax.

Other than that, I think the machine is fine, spec-wise. No complaints there.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Why i haven't bought a 2012 Imac

1.refuse to buy a computer that you need a guitar pick to open!
2.silly pricing that apple does on purpose (on base 21.5" you want a fusion drive,then you also have to buy a better cpu...you wanna upgrade ram then either pay apple extra $200 or get out that guitar pick!)
3.uses laptop gpu's
4.only ssd full drive option is 27" $1,300 768gb
5.apples stupid take away of offering usb flash drive with osx version for your machine (we don't all have super fast internet for times when we need to reinstall osx)
6.no hdmi slot
7.silly sdxc card slot around back
8.would like a height adjustment (via imac g4)
9.quality control is somewhat suspect

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
My main reason

because I have a '11 27" that I have RAID0'd and upgraded RAM and I was seriously hoping that a company was going to let me add some USB 3 ports (at full speed) for less than $400. Even the Belkin that has been touted won't even have 5Gbps USB3 and it is just frustrating.

So that was my reason, now all I have to do is get one. It will be my first BTO iMac, I usually don't want to wait for the order/shipping times so I would go to the apple store and purchase the best one they had to offer.
I'm getting to the point where the i7 and Hyperthreading is becoming more worth it in what I do, my wife's rMBP beats the bricks off of my i5 in photo and video crunching power.
Time is becoming an issue and 5-10 mins faster per video and 1-2mins faster per photo adds up to lots and lots of time when you are working with multiple GB's of data.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Why i haven't bought a 2012 Imac

1.refuse to buy a computer that you need a guitar pick to open!
2.silly pricing that apple does on purpose (on base 21.5" you want a fusion drive,then you also have to buy a better cpu...you wanna upgrade ram then either pay apple extra $200 or get out that guitar pick!)
3.uses laptop gpu's
4.only ssd full drive option is 27" $1,300 768gb
5.apples stupid take away of offering usb flash drive with osx version for your machine (we don't all have super fast internet for times when we need to reinstall osx)
6.no hdmi slot
7.silly sdxc card slot around back
8.would like a height adjustment (via imac g4)
9.quality control is somewhat suspect

Its funny i kind of agree with all your points yet i got one anyway, i fear that in a few years time Apple will shot themselves in the foot and start losing the hardcore customers like me.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
I know you were hoping for ac wifi in this year's iMac (as was I), so given today's news (thread below) are you tempted to wait it out? To me, wifi is one of the significant bottlenecks on performance so sorely tempted but don't want to wait to September. Arghhhh

https://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/0...m-to-add-802-11ac-gigabit-wi-fi-to-2013-macs/

If I were coming off a late 2009 model with my usual 3 year replacement cycle coming up, then I might have considered holding off for AC, knowing that I'll get some incremental bumps in CPU and GPU along the way and have the advantage of sitting out the first model-year jitters of the new design. But as it is, my 3 year cycle was up in March 2011. I've waited long enough. My iMac sits close enough to the router that I can hardwire it anyway, and it will take some time to get the whole house moved over to AC. Perhaps, by the time I'm ready for the 2015 or 2016 iMac...

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
for a few reasons

I finally saw these in person on Friday and was very unimpressed/underwhelmed.

Granted, I think the 14th Street NYC apple store only has the base 21.5 and 27" on display (I tried to pull up system preferences to see what hard drives were installed, but couldn't, strangely enough.), but they were extremely slow to launch apps on the Dock, the sound wasn't too great and overall, I think the few moments of "Oooh! That's nice..." have passed.

To make matters even nuttier, the Mac Mini on display booted applications 2-3x as fast as both iMacs, had better sound in the thunderbolt display etc. RAM-wise the iMacs had 2x that of the Mini so I was really surprised at how slowly the iMacs responded.

I'm also one of those people that can't use the MTP without flaring up arthritis in my wrists so not to have any Magic Mice around was another factor.

Whenever I upgrade my 2010 iMac (hopefully not this year), I'm leaning toward the fully loaded SSD Mini or a 15" rMBP (I can use that trackpad without pain.)

My needs/wants have moved beyond this particular type of Mac and if the fabled xMac happens this year (along side the Mac Pro ;)), I know which way I will go.

I understand I looked at the lowest common denomanitor as far as these new models, but even so I wasn't wowed by the looks or the sound.

I'm glad people are enjoying these. I think I've moved on.

seigaroo

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
Jumped on a mid-2011 27" refurb last month because the new one wasn't what I was waiting on!! Ended up getting more than what I ordered and also cheaper than buying new:)

bbapps

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Texas
Really like the Mini platform, but don't like how Apple cripples the platform (e.g. 5400 rpm drives, laptop CPUs, no GPU, possible heat issues during heavy CPU usage).

Planning on waiting to see the Mac Pro options (e.g. hopefully a suped-up Mini at the lower end of Mac Pro line), and/or 2013 laptop options; then I'll make my decision, may still opt for the 2012 iMac.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Really like the Mini platform, but don't like how Apple cripples the platform (e.g. 5400 rpm drives, laptop CPUs, no GPU, possible heat issues during heavy CPU usage).

Just on 5400 rpm drives.... depending on what you get, a 5400 rpm drive of larger capacity can be faster than a 7200rpm drive of smaller capacity, storing the same amount of data due to short-stroking.

I have no plans to buy an iMac personally because desktops are dead for me.

Give me a portable + thunderbolt display any day please :)

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Money. Got enough coming in, but it keeps pouring into that gaping hole called a credit card. Once that pit fills (soon!) I'll order my 27".

----------

desktops are dead for me.

I was of the same mindset - until iPad.
Now I can carry anywhere that which I need everywhere (email, web, mapping, remote desktop), and can leave behind that which I need but need not move (big screen, vast storage, blazing speed, fast human interfaces).

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
Getting one for Bday this next week. Dunno which since it's a present I'm not supposed to know about ;) But even the lowest 21" is better than my 2007 Intel Core2Duo with an uber ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB and 3GB of RAM. ;) I will, however be exchanging said gift for something better btw!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.