Why if I vote positive or negative on news, the status does not change?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by isgoed, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's updated asynchronously, which means that it happens in the background, whenever the server gets around to it. So it does count your vote, it just takes a little while before you see it.

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

The front page is cached. Refreshed every 15 minutes or so... so when you vote, it will not be reflected in real time, but is recorded.

(and multiple votes are discarded)

arn

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Perhaps a more pertinent question is, does anybody actually pay any attention to the vote count?!...

4. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I usually check how many positive/negative votes a topic gets, but thats just me.

5. isgoed thread starter macrumors 6502

I think if you vote yourself, you also pay attention. So at least a couple of hundred people watch it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

This was actually an educated guess, and judging by arn's reply it wasn't entirely accurate :( (but close enough)

7. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

Everyones reply on this board is wrong.

The real reason is that your views are not respected here, and so are dismissed.

8. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

I've always sorta wondered what purpose it's supposed to serve. Does anyone look at the ratings and say, "Wow, this topic has more negative ratings than positive, so I'm not going to read it"? Or what? Plus there's the known fact that a topic could announce that it has been scientifically confirmed that Apple products cure cancer and baldness, guarantee the owners a lifetime of wealth and bliss, and make chicks/dudes (depending on preference) dig you like totally...and some jokers would rate it negative. Why, I ask? Why why why?

--Eric

9. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Actually, yes. But not until after I vote.

10. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

The consistent answer I've heard over the years is that nobody is really sure...

11. RJP31484 macrumors regular

I always check out the ratio of votes to see how Macrumors readers generally feel about a topic. For instance, the acquiring of macromedia... If you look at the votes, it can be inferred that the general populus thinks this is a bad thing. Then I can go into the thread and read about why they think this, and then form my own that-much-more-educated opinion. ;)

12. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Hmmm.. and with this new found knowledge I have earned my avatar. :)