Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It's updated asynchronously, which means that it happens in the background, whenever the server gets around to it. So it does count your vote, it just takes a little while before you see it.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
isgoed said:
see title

?

The front page is cached. Refreshed every 15 minutes or so... so when you vote, it will not be reflected in real time, but is recorded.

(and multiple votes are discarded)

arn

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
munkle said:
Perhaps a more pertinent question is, does anybody actually pay any attention to the vote count?!...

I usually check how many positive/negative votes a topic gets, but thats just me.

isgoed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
munkle said:
Perhaps a more pertinent question is, does anybody actually pay any attention to the vote count?!...
I think if you vote yourself, you also pay attention. So at least a couple of hundred people watch it.
adobemacromedia.jpg

attachment.php

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Nermal said:
It's updated asynchronously, which means that it happens in the background, whenever the server gets around to it. So it does count your vote, it just takes a little while before you see it.

This was actually an educated guess, and judging by arn's reply it wasn't entirely accurate :( (but close enough)

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
I've always sorta wondered what purpose it's supposed to serve. Does anyone look at the ratings and say, "Wow, this topic has more negative ratings than positive, so I'm not going to read it"? Or what? Plus there's the known fact that a topic could announce that it has been scientifically confirmed that Apple products cure cancer and baldness, guarantee the owners a lifetime of wealth and bliss, and make chicks/dudes (depending on preference) dig you like totally...and some jokers would rate it negative. Why, I ask? Why why why?

--Eric

RJP31484

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Eric5h5 said:
I've always sorta wondered what purpose it's supposed to serve. Does anyone look at the ratings and say, "Wow, this topic has more negative ratings than positive, so I'm not going to read it"? Or what? Plus there's the known fact that a topic could announce that it has been scientifically confirmed that Apple products cure cancer and baldness, guarantee the owners a lifetime of wealth and bliss, and make chicks/dudes (depending on preference) dig you like totally...and some jokers would rate it negative. Why, I ask? Why why why?

--Eric

I always check out the ratio of votes to see how Macrumors readers generally feel about a topic. For instance, the acquiring of macromedia... If you look at the votes, it can be inferred that the general populus thinks this is a bad thing. Then I can go into the thread and read about why they think this, and then form my own that-much-more-educated opinion. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.