Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
ok, that's answers my question. However, "convenience" isn't really an issue, since a Mac book air is just as convenient...

As others have said, a Macbook is nowhere near as convenient as an iPad. I use my iPad in the morning to read the news with my coffee and juggling a laptop would be a hassle not to mention the danger of spilling my coffee on the keyboard. At night I read in bed--not much fun on a laptop. So for me, convenience is indeed a pretty big deal.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
ok, so what i'm hearing is either mostly is:

- iOS only apps.
- more convenient, more portable. (crowded train eg)
- easy to use

Thanks.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
As others have said, a Macbook is nowhere near as convenient as an iPad. I use my iPad in the morning to read the news with my coffee and juggling a laptop would be a hassle not to mention the danger of spilling my coffee on the keyboard. At night I read in bed--not much fun on a laptop. So for me, convenience is indeed a pretty big deal.

As technology advances, I could see this convenience advantage falling away. Microsoft's Surface Pro is a step in that direction. Too bulky still, but they're just working with the limitations of technology at the moment.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I own both an MBA 11 and an iPad 4. They both do things better than the other device does.

Where the MBA excels: Keyboard, touchpad, desktop OS.
Where the iPad excels: touchscreen, mobile OS.

There are applications where directly touching the screen makes more sense and feels more natural than interacting with a touchpad and watching the changes on a screen.

The Microsoft Surface comes close to meshing the two operating modes, but ideally, for me... would be a Macbook Air where the screen unclips and becomes an iPad.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Rather than contrast the 11" MBA with an iPad I went for the 15" MBP. The iPad serves most of my portability needs. I went with the MBP instead of an iMac because I need to travel a lot on business.

Compared to a laptop the iPad is much more flexible and agile. It takes seconds to pull out the iPad, open iBooks or GoodReader and show someone a document or report. On the other hand, back at the hotel or in a remote office I appreciate the power of the MBP when doing heavier work. The two complement each other very well.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Why is an iPad the better choice, if you can do exactly the same on a Macbook, and more ?

. . .

With the exception of iOS apps.

To a great degree you just answered the question. The apps. Depending on what one is trying to do there aren't easy means.

Outside of that, depending on what you are trying to do, a tablet form is easier. Example from my life, rigging lights on set. We used to use paper printouts but they get messed up, they are a pain in the ass if there is a last minute change. and so on. So we switched to laptops which are clumsy to deal with when you are trying to stand up on a ladder etc. So for fits and giggles we switched to tablets as an experiment. They were a lot easier for the crew to deal with. Once we had them we found that we were also using them taking set photos and notes for continuity, showing animations of FX and stunt shots. We can even distribute scripts, call sheets etc via email right from set.

----------

Other than reading books I find the IPad to mainly be a convenience thing over the MacBook like someone said above. I actually started reading more books since I got an iPad.

I read a lot also. And I draw, which is something I can't do on a macbook without having a pen and tablet to attach to it.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
You don't need an iPad if you have an "ultrabook". Most people who already have laptops get iPads for convenience. They have the money and choose to spend it that way.

This. Convenience is reason to have one. They are much more convenient to carry and much more convenient to use. If you have the money, to me it's no-brainer.
Having both at hand in your backpack when you reach for something are you going to reach for something that you have to unfold and turn on or just reach something that you can just hit a button and look at. Email scanning is reason enough.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
If some company made a device that truly was the best of both worlds, sure, I would buy that. But the tablet / laptop hybrids avaiable right now are more like the worst of both worlds.

I think the real issue with building a hybrid that is the best of both worlds is the screen size. The optimal screen size for tablets seem to be 10 inches and below. Bigger than that, and the screen is too big to hold comfortably in hand. The optimal size for laptops, however, is 11 inches and larger. Any smaller and the screen becomes cramped for desktop applications, but even more of a problem is that the keyboard has to be the same size as the screen. Any keyboard that fits a screen below 11 inches is too small to type comfortably on.

So while I have no problem with the concept of a hybrid device, I'm very skeptical that this concept can be executed well in real life.

Yep, that about sums it up. There are some devices that just aren't meant to be blended or meshed. Laptops and tablets are examples of those devices. They end up being MUCH better when kept separate so they can be the best at their respective tasks. The whole idea of hybrids is actually silly.

quackers82

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
I have a Macbook Air, Retina Macbook Pro, iPhone 5, iPad Air. I use them all for different things.

You might think an iPad is not needed when i have all them, but i use the Kindle App to read books, i use the BBC iPlayer and Plex App to stream TV to my Apple TV (if i use my phone it cuts off the video when it rings). Spotify via Airplay on the iPad (iPhone version is just rubbish). The iPad is also more convent to take away on holiday or when visiting people.

I use my Macbook Air for personal stuff/games when kicking back on the sofa, and my Pro for all work related stuff.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I have a Macbook Air, Retina Macbook Pro, iPhone 5, iPad Air. I use them all for different things.

You might think an iPad is not needed when i have all them, but i use the Kindle App to read books, i use the BBC iPlayer and Plex App to stream TV to my Apple TV (if i use my phone it cuts off the video when it rings). Spotify via Airplay on the iPad (iPhone version is just rubbish). The iPad is also more convent to take away on holiday or when visiting people.

I use my Macbook Air for personal stuff/games when kicking back on the sofa, and my Pro for all work related stuff.

Very well said with sound logic behind every reason.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
So, why is would you need one if you have an ultrabook which is just as easy to carry with you, and 100 times better ?

Well i think ios apps and games are a huge part of the appeal of the ipad.

This thread has recurred endlessly since 2010: why is it so hard to understand that the ergonomics of tablet can provide a better experience than a laptop pc for reading, web surfing and video watching. It just seems obviious to the point I wonder about the motivation behind some of these threads

----------

Yep, that about sums it up. There are some devices that just aren't meant to be blended or meshed. Laptops and tablets are examples of those devices. They end up being MUCH better when kept separate so they can be the best at their respective tasks. The whole idea of hybrids is actually silly.

How parachial. Go to amazon and read user comments on the sp3--but you wont because your so closed

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
It all depends on what it's going to be used for. Now that the novelty has worn off, tablet sales are declining. It will be interesting to see where they level off at. Their are quite a few people that didn't need a computer in the first place but that was the only choice prior to tablets. Once tablet sales stabilize we will know what percent of the market they occupy.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
It all depends on what it's going to be used for. Now that the novelty has worn off, tablet sales are declining. It will be interesting to see where they level off at. Their are quite a few people that didn't need a computer in the first place but that was the only choice prior to tablets. Once tablet sales stabilize we will know what percent of the market they occupy.

Also, tablets don't see the same upgrade frequency as phones. Most of the people that want/wanted the iPad have one by now and don't feel the need to upgrade as often (also due to the fact that iPads are not subsidized).

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Also, tablets don't see the same upgrade frequency as phones. Most of the people that want/wanted the iPad have one by now and don't feel the need to upgrade as often (also due to the fact that iPads are not subsidized).
Remove the subsidies/financing options for phones and it'll be interesting to see how many people upgrade every 1-2 years then. :p

cebseb

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
Why is an iPad the better choice, if you can do exactly the same on a Macbook, and more ?

Even an Ultra-book, you can carry round easily with you now-days without a power adapter, and all the reviews i've seen basically are saying all the "features" that exist on Mac already..

If they already exist on a macbook already, then an iPad is no better because it does the same thing (and in some cases similar functionality).

Is this a good argument for not buying an iPad ?

So, why is would you need one if you have an ultrabook which is just as easy to carry with you, and 100 times better ?

I'm a big eBook reader and also a huge comic book fan. The ipad is easier to hold in portrait mode than my 15" macbook pro

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.