Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
My guess is that Tapatalk is just resizing the images when you upload them. Not sure if there's a setting to change that as I don't use the app.

randy.massoglia

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
There's your problem. It seems the Tapatalk app is compressing the image. If you uploaded it from your computer (I've never tried from iOS) you wouldn't have that issue.

That is the standard size of an 8 MP photo.

How do I determine the size of a pic on my iPhone or iPad Traverse?

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I'm not sure there is an easy way to do that on the iPhone without using a third party app of some kind. But the photos on your phone should be full size if you took them on the phone.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
How do I determine the size of a pic on my iPhone or iPad Traverse?

You cannot with any stock apps. I believe there are some third party apps, but I'm not experienced with those.

I import them into iPhoto and look at the picture's information/metadata. You can do the same with Windows' image reader I believe.

Unless you're using that iCloud Library where your photos are stored in the cloud and only an "appropriate thumbnail" is left on your device than you should have the full resolution image saved in your photos app.

randy.massoglia

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
You cannot with any stock apps. I believe there are some third party apps, but I'm not experienced with those.

I import them into iPhoto and look at the picture's information/metadata. You can do the same with Windows' image reader I believe.

Unless you're using that iCloud Library where your photos are stored in the cloud and only an "appropriate thumbnail" is left on your device than you should have the full resolution image saved in your photos app.

I have the pics on my PC in my photostream...The pics are either 2048x1536 1536x2048....Is that full capacity or 8 megs?

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I have the pics on my PC in my photostream...The pics are either 2048x1536 1536x2048....Is that full capacity or 8 megs?

That is the exact resolution of a Retina iPad which is odd. No, that isn't full capacity.

Attempt to (1) download them from photo stream and (2) email them to yourself at "Actual Size" from your iPhone and check the images then.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I did email the pic from my phone.....2448x2448

Well, I sincerely apologize that I won't be of more assistance to you. When I take a picture with and without zooming and then email them to myself they are 3264 by 2448 so I don't know why yours is not.

Wait! Are you taking them in the stock app? If yes, are you taking a regular shot or a "Square"? If square than that makes sense and is the proper size.

----------

Yep. I took a square image and emailed them to myself and they are 2448 x 2448. So yours is the correct size, assuming your intentionally taking square photos.

randy.massoglia

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
Well, I sincerely apologize that I won't be of more assistance to you. When I take a picture with and without zooming and then email them to myself they are 3264 by 2448 so I don't know why yours is not.

Wait! Are you taking them in the stock app? If yes, are you taking a regular shot or a "Square"? If square than that makes sense and is the proper size.

----------

Yep. I took a square image and emailed them to myself and they are 2448 x 2448. So yours is the correct size, assuming your intentionally taking square photos.

I'm taking the pics with the stock app... I just took a pic with regular shot and it was 3264x2448? Thank you Traverse.... Besides image quality, whats the diff between square and regular.... And I think the images I'm sending via tapatalk is degrading my pics..

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I'm taking the pics with the stock app... I just took a pic with regular shot and it was 3264x2448? Thank you Traverse.... Besides image quality, whats the diff between square and regular.... And I think the images I'm sending via tapatalk is degrading my pics..

There is no difference between 3264 x 2448 (full standard 8MP) and square at 2448x2448 aside from aspect ratios. They're quality is the same just one has more content in a rectangular shape than the other.

Square photos are popular on social media sites like Instagram and Facebook so I assume Apple added the option to instantly square photos just for ease of use and popularity.

And no problem, glad to help!

randy.massoglia

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
There is no difference between 3264 x 2448 (full standard 8MP) and square at 2448x2448 aside from aspect ratios. They're quality is the same just one has more content in a rectangular shape than the other.

Square photos are popular on social media sites like Instagram and Facebook so I assume Apple added the option to instantly square photos just for ease of use and popularity.

And no problem, glad to help!

If you want me to send you some stock pics for the stock app....PM me your email addy.......If you want... And thanks again

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
If you want me to send you some stock pics for the stock app....PM me your email addy.......If you want... And thanks again

I have no issue with that (though I'm going offline for bed now), but what do you want to show me? Is your square photos coming out poorly? They should be of equal quality to standard shots.

paulking

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2010
Traverse you made a good point. Looking at those shots again, those were selfies I uploaded and the quality for a 2mp camera is what one might expect. I'll be at the store again at some point and see what other pics I can get off the display phones and show.

I did do this however (for her second time in two weeks)- took shots with the 6, 6+, and 5s of people in the Apple store. No zoom, auto focus on one person in a group of people and in the ambient light of the store which is bright. Distance from subjects @10-20 feet.

Enlarged they all showed a lot of distortion of faces all appearing with that painted look we've all been discussing. I mean if they have invented a way to make photos look like impressionist painting, they've nailed it!
It's kind of cool actually if one bends one mind to appreciate it.
But it's not like past iPhones. Not yet anyway.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
I don't have a 6+ but a 6 and posting pictures won't help with obsessed people nor with any sane person. Like you've already said so yourself: this requires a testing methodology so we can actually test it without having huge differences (which is what we have in this thread since people randomly post pictures without any protocol or information). If you really know you stuff than why haven't you started building such testing methodology? Or in other words, here's your chance to show you really understand the issue and know how to gather the information for it. For starters: include any details about environment, shoot similar pictures, use similar settings (and post them!), include EXIF info in the picture, what app are they using, have they tried a different app and so on.

I agree that more stringent testing is needed, but that doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist. There are lots of excellent comparison photos between the 6 and 5S, and we see the same differences in most of them. Something funny is up with the local contrast and NR. The fact that it's not apparent (so far) when using third party camera apps shows that it is not a hardware problem.

I'm still confused as to why you haven't weighed in on this issue other than to say we're all ignorant. Why don't you use your superior photogrphy knowledge to analyse the problem? Surely you could elucidate the source of the artifact better than any of us.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Still, I can tell you without a doubt that the vast majority of great photographers care little for the technical aspects beyond what is necessary to get their desired results. Technical jargon is the forte of camera gear-heads, not photographers.
I'm not talking about camera specs, I'm talking about terminology such as depth of field, iso, shutter speed, aperture, etc. Camera specs is the forte of camera gear-heads, the other thing is just photographers terminology. It's also what is captured in the EXIF info and what can give us some more details about the picture itself which in turn tells more if it is standard or a problem indeed. Even the iOS version can make a difference, especially with smartphones since a lot is done in software (image stabilisation on the 6 for example)

It doesn't take a gear-head to see the issue here, just someone who knows what a decent photograph is supposed to look like, and has used these phones in the past to see what has changed.
Well, it actually seems to be the gear-head/pixelpeepers that are seeing the issue. The only ones discussing the issue are in this thread, other sites and reviews don't discuss it. The people over at Tomsguide.com draw the conclusion that it isn't the camera that is the problem but iOS 8. They are not discussing the heavy smearing issue, they are discussing other issues such as the purple fringing and colour shifts. Every other review is raving the quality of the camera.

You must have cropped them because they are not 8MP size, but they still shouldn't be so pixelated. I wonder if MacRumors upload system is flawed.
And another thing to take into account since a lot of sites (Facebook but also photo upload sites) apply techniques to reduce traffic which usually means that it'll have a negative effect on picture quality. The same applies to photo apps on iOS. They all export the picture as jpg which means that things are compressed. How much may depend from app to app but it will effect the quality of the picture (in this case more or less smearing).

If I'm doing anything wrong in these pics, I'm totally clueless..... There is not much in the way of on board adjustments that can be made with this camera....I know you can long press on the screen that will activate AE/AF lock...
Only thing you may do wrong is not having the same composition. That makes comparing the two pictures different but other than that, it may very well be the upload functionality of MacRumors.

Anyway, it helps if people start giving information about the pictures and include the EXIF info. The more information there is, the easier it will be to pinpoint the problem.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
The only ones discussing the issue are in this thread, other sites and reviews don't discuss it.

No, you're intentionally ignoring all the links we've posted to other sites and reviews which discuss the issue.

No longer reading your posts - they are intentionally ignorant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.