Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacCraig Pro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Manchester, UK
Hi All,

Just wondering why a 6th Gen AEBS would be so slow?

Currently got 500Mbps Fibre Broadband and using the ISP supplied router, the speeds hit around 400-480Mbps when in the same room.

However, when using the AEBS the maximum speed is around 180-200Mbps when in the same room. Even on Ethernet it's around the same speeds.

I've reset the AEBS and re-set it up but still doesn't make any difference.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Many thanks,

Craig

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Are you connecting both the ISP supplied router and the AEBS to the broadband modem using the same ethernet cable?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I am indeed. No difference apart from the router.
Wi-Fi interference is known to slow down AEBS speeds.. even the wired connection.. which is really weird, I know. I suggest you use Airport Utility to manually change the broadcast channels of the 2.4 and 5 GHz radios. If you are in a really dense area (e.g an apartment building), you may need to use wi-fi signal scanning software to see which channels are free or lightly used by others. A good software tool I've used is WiFi Explorer.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Even on Ethernet it's around the same speeds.
I think that maybe your APE6 is having HW issues.

If it was just wireless, I would say maybe interference and splitting the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands, and moving everything you can to 5Ghz.

Four years ago, I started having issues with my single 6th gen AirPort Extreme, slow downs, sometimes to a crawl.

Normally, I would troubleshoot myself, but in this case, I figured that my AirPort Extreme was outdated, and it was time to move on to something new. Right before all the lock downs in the US in 2020, I bought a very expensive and highly rated Linksys Tri-band Mesh System.

I thought that with the Mesh system, I could expand my network range, and have internet in my parking space in my old home. They advertised that it would be seamless transition between nodes, but it ended up not working at all. Worst part, I still had similar slowdowns that I had on my old AirPort Extreme.

I spent several hours troubleshooting with Linksys tech support, which was helpful, but didn't provide any good solutions. This is what I learned about Linksys' mesh systems, as well as my own old AirPort system.

The slowdowns had to do with the amount of devices I had connected to the 2.4Ghz band, as well as congestion with my neighbors. I split the two bands on the AirPort Extreme, the performance on the 5Ghz band was actually better than the brand new mesh system's 5Ghz band.

Linksys hides their advanced settings. They have a lot more customization on the settings, but you have to basically do a factory reset, and set it up to take advanced settings from the start rather than setting it up like normal and then try to change the advanced settings. One of these advanced settings was splitting the two bands, which was Linksys tech support's advice to me to get the Linksys mesh system to perform better.

Seamless node switching doesn't work well at all. When I was sitting in my car in the parking lot, I was connected to the Linksys mesh system, but it stayed connected to the node that was the furthest to me. Linksys tech support's advice was to turn of my wifi on my iPhone and turn it back on to reconnect to a closer node. This was not what I was expecting.

I ended up returning the expensive mesh system. If I didn't have true seamless node switching, and I had to split my 2.4 and 5Ghz band anyways, I figured that I just would stay with the AirPort Extreme.

Here is the thing, after going back to the AirPort Extreme and splitting the two bands, the performance was amazing. So much so that I purchased another 6th gen AirPort Extreme on eBay and moved it closer to the side of my house that I parked my car, and I had great internet from my car.

I bought a single family house in 2021, and now have five different 6th gen AirPort Extremes all over my house and garage. I have excellent coverage through out my entire house, 3 floors, and outside my house as well.

I said all that for this reason, the AirPort Extreme 6th gen, while old, is still a great device that can hold up to even new technology.

maximum speed is around 180-200Mbps when in the same room. Even on Ethernet it's around the same speeds.
If you are getting that slow speeds on ethernet, then there is most likely a HW problem. I would swap your Ethernet cables to rule that out, but there shouldn't be any reason you are getting such a different from the ISP router over ethernet.

I have Gigabit service (not that I need anything that fast, but with cable it is my only choice if I want a decent upload speed), and get almost 1000Mbps on devices I test connected with Ethernet.

Are you using the same port on the ISP Modem for each router?
Have you tried a different ethernet cable?
Also, what device are you using to test the speed when doing a wired connection? Would this happen to be a Mac with a 10Gbps ethernet port?

MacCraig Pro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Manchester, UK
Thanks both.

Are you using the same port on the ISP Modem for each router?
Have you tried a different ethernet cable?
Also, what device are you using to test the speed when doing a wired connection? Would this happen to be a Mac with a 10Gbps ethernet port?
No modem here. We use an ONT that brings the fibre optic cable to the property and the WAN cable connects to that.

Using both iPhones, an M1 Mac with a dongle and a 2012 MBP, the latter 2 wired and wireless.

If you are in a really dense area (e.g an apartment building), you may need to use wi-fi signal scanning software to see which channels are free or lightly used by others. A good software tool I've used is WiFi Explorer.

Will have a look at this. Not in a massively dense area though. I live in a semi detached house in a suburban area. We pick up the neighbours Wi-Fi signals but not many others.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"Currently got 500Mbps Fibre Broadband and using the ISP supplied router, the speeds hit around 400-480Mbps when in the same room."

Hmmmmm... you're getting speeds that are "as close to the maximum as you can get" from the ISP's router?

If so, why do you feel the need to replace it with the Airport?
(I've got nothing against Airports, used one here for years)

Why not just use the router that gives you "480 out of 500"?

Fishrrman's "Mac Rule Number 2":
Use what works for you. Don't waste your time trying to use what doesn't.

MacCraig Pro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Manchester, UK
OP wrote:
"Currently got 500Mbps Fibre Broadband and using the ISP supplied router, the speeds hit around 400-480Mbps when in the same room."

Hmmmmm... you're getting speeds that are "as close to the maximum as you can get" from the ISP's router?

If so, why do you feel the need to replace it with the Airport?
(I've got nothing against Airports, used one here for years)

Why not just use the router that gives you "480 out of 500"?

Fishrrman's "Mac Rule Number 2":
Use what works for you. Don't waste your time trying to use what doesn't.
The ISP's router is only in one room and the further I get away from it the lower the speeds I get.

The reason for the question is I formally had 100Mbps Fibre with another provider and had an AirPort Extreme network (3 routers one doing the NAT and the other's extending) doing all of the work. I had hoped to use the same system with my new provider, but with speeds being less than half I've not be able to use the AirPort Extreme network.

I'd like to go back to using it and figure out why the slow speeds rather than forking out more money on a mesh network.

MacCraig Pro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Manchester, UK
Also, I want to get consistent speeds around my house like I used to.

If I can get 200-300Mbps in my kitchen and the same in my study, I'd be happy. Currently the ISP's router is giving 100-160Mbps in the kitchen and the 80-100Mbps in my study.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Is ethernet available elsewhere in the house?
Could the old Airport be connected to become a simple "access point"?

If not, have you thought of "mesh"?

MacCraig Pro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Manchester, UK
Is ethernet available elsewhere in the house?
Could the old Airport be connected to become a simple "access point"?

If not, have you thought of "mesh"?
No ethernet unfortunately.

Also, I don't have the funds to be able to invest in a decent mesh set up. I looked at Mercusys (TP-Links sister brand) and Tenda stuff but it's cheap and nasty stuff. I actually got a Mercusys AC1900 Mesh system and it was sent back as it had really really short power leads that made it unusable.

Teletypewriter

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2021
I have had my Airport Extreme for 5+ years. I configured it with two wireless networks. The first one was using the default 2.4 GHz spectrum [Spooky], the the second network used the 5 GHz network[Spooky 5Ghz]. Both networks had the same password. I use the slower Spooky network for my legacy equipment, and the 5Ghz network for everything else.

When my laptop was running slow, I would check to ensure I was connected to the right wireless network. I could even set a preferred wireless connection that worked 98% of the time.

New routers today want you to create a single network and the router will handle things automagically, but makes troubleshooting difficult.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.