Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I recently imported my music collection from my iPod to my new iMac. It´s around 16GB worth of music. (iTunes says so)

But when I click get info on my music folder it says it´s size is 50GB!!
Where did all this music come from?
More importantly, how do I get rid of it?

I checked for duplicates and only had 20 or so.
(But when I look into sub foldrs in my music folder, I see 2 of a lot of songs

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Just because a song is in your Music folder does not mean it is in your iTunes library. That is where you're problem exists. You have somehow doubled your music by over importing your music.

There is a utility that can help you sift through all the duplicates but I really can't remember the name. I'll let you know if I remember it, or if someone else can suggest it.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Thanks guys.
I did consolidate my library, but it seems as I have double or tripple imported my library.
Maybe just erase and do it again?

yoak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
You could try to consolidate your Music Library to a new location...

...or use the Consolidate script on Doug's scripts... Edit: Hmmm... didn't find the script, but there is a script out there that goes through your Library and Music folder and cleans up... I just cannot find it at the moment... :eek:

I found the script, it´s called Corral All Dupes. Here´s the link for others with the same problem:
http://www.dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/scripts01.php?page=2

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
No, I think that's a script that does the same as the View -> Show Duplicates does, maybe with a few more options. The script I was looking for actually compares the iTunes Library file and folder gets rid of all those files that aren't in your library...

yoak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Svarte.
Well, the script is working now, almost finished. Let you know what happens

yoak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
You were right. After 2 hours of scanning, it only did what show duplicates do in a few minutes. Dissapointing

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Kjedelig...

But I think that if you follow all the steps in the support article I linked to above, that it should fix your problem. Because once you've picked another location and perform the consolidation, only the files in your library should be copied to the new location, and you can delete your old iTunes Music folder (be sure to just delete the iTunes Music folder and not the iTunes folder in your Music folder... ;)).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.