Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
My wife has been looking at upgrading her four year old MBA. She's also looking into the new iPads as our family one is about 4-5 years old. She asked me last night why all the new MacBooks (Air, Pro, Retina) and new iPads coming out this year all have the headphone jack when it was removed from the iPhone. She still have the iPhone 6. I have the new iPhone 7 without the jack.

I thought about this. I've been using Apple devices for almost 10 years now. When the iPhone 7 was launched Apple stated the headphone jack was old technology and the lightening jack was newer and better. If that's the case why does every new iPad launching in 2017 (based on good rumors) have the headphone jack? Why does the new MacBook Pros have a headphone jack? Shouldn't they all have the lightening port?

Reactions: macfacts

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
My wife has been looking at upgrading her four year old MBA. She's also looking into the new iPads as our family one is about 4-5 years old. She asked me last night why all the new MacBooks (Air, Pro, Retina) and new iPads coming out this year all have the headphone jack when it was removed from the iPhone. She still have the iPhone 6. I have the new iPhone 7 without the jack.

I thought about this. I've been using Apple devices for almost 10 years now. When the iPhone 7 was launched Apple stated the headphone jack was old technology and the lightening jack was newer and better. If that's the case why does every new iPad launching in 2017 (based on good rumors) have the headphone jack? Why does the new MacBook Pros have a headphone jack? Shouldn't they all have the lightening port?
Well according to apple they are pushing wireless and removing the headphone jack frees up space for other stuff.
For example a bigger battery and better water resistance.

Also, all iPhones come with earbuds so most people use whats included.

Removing the headphone jack from a laptop is a different story.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Shouldn't they all have the lightening port?

Why would you put a lightning port on an MBP when the jack technology is still there? It would introduce another port people are not prepared to accept for computers and you'd have to provide the adapter or lightning port headphones with the computer.

In regards to why the iPhone 7/7+ and not any other device my only thought would be this: Presumably you aren't using an iPad or an MBP in or around water.

The iPhone 7/7+ owes much of it's water 'resistance' to the fact that Apple plugged the large hole that is the audio jack.

Reactions: 44267547

noekozz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
212/201
Because it takes "courage" to go jackless. Honestly the removal of the jack is an effort to push people to the future which is wireless. Unfortunately me and many others aren't ready to make that jump. You don't just get rid of a universal standard and expect everyone to adapt a proprietary one. I will, however, eventually have to upgrade, which is why I'm waiting to see what this year brings.

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
Because the iPhone is the newest portable/handheld device. I imagine when/if Apple releases new iPods they will drop the 3.5mm jack also. I also believe it will go away in the iPad soon too, but maybe not this year since there isn't quite as big of an issue with space on them.

It also wouldn't surprise me if they eventually get rid of the 3.5mm jack on the laptops as well, but again there isn't nearly the space issues there so it isn't as big of a deal on when they do it. I think dropping digital audio out on the new Macbook Pro is one step toward dropping the port altogether. People will get a USB-C sound card/headphones, or use audio out on their USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 monitors. Maybe they will add a lightning port to them etc.

Reactions: chabig

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Because the iPhone is the newest portable/handheld device. I imagine when/if Apple releases new iPods they will drop the 3.5mm jack also. I also believe it will go away in the iPad soon too, but maybe not this year since there isn't quite as big of an issue with space on them.

It also wouldn't surprise me if they eventually get rid of the 3.5mm jack on the laptops as well, but again there isn't nearly the space issues there so it isn't as big of a deal on when they do it. I think dropping digital audio out on the new Macbook Pro is one step toward dropping the port altogether. People will get a USB-C sound card/headphones, or use audio out on their USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 monitors. Maybe they will add a lightning port to them etc.

I think the 3.5 Jack will remain on the MacBooks with more space and less subjectivity to water, when compared to the iPhone. The iPod line in my opinion is done. The market for those has greatly dwindled with the three sizes of the iPhone that essentially is the iPod.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Please continue:D
maxresdefault.jpg

borgsauce

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2016
Apple pushing to make things wireless is a ******** reason to remove the headphone jack, by that reasoning they could've added wireless charging too but they didn't. Real answer is because it isnt patented by them like the lightning port. By removing the audio jack they can now charge royalty fee to any manufacturer that produces headphones for the iPhone 7 through the MFI program. Or encourage people to buy their over priced/hyped Airpods as an alternative.
The Samsung Galaxy S7 and Note 7 series are IP68 rated yet they have an audio port and plenty of other devices out there.

Then you may ask well why don't they remove the headphone jack from the new iPads? Well if you look at it there are far more people using iPhones than any of their other products. It would be perfect to introduce this concept to hardcore iPhone devoted fans who would agree slowly but surely with everything mentioned about how wireless is the future, how it makes the phone more water resistant or how they needed the extra space internally for a glorified vibrator. Dont get me wrong I love the iPhone but I'd rather Apple don't market nonsense to people.

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

The iPad does have a lightning port. And if you have a quality set of headphones with a lightning cable you can get a USB-C cable (some with come with one in the box) and connect it to your Mac.

Do you mean "Why haven't they removed the 3.5mm port from iPads/Macs yet?". They just haven't gotten around to it yet, space isn't much of a concern on the iPad and Mac when it comes to the 3.5mm port. I think in upcoming iPhone designs we'll see the true reason for its removal and Apple wanted to avoid the push back now rather then when they throw all their cards on the table.

Plus like mentioned royalties, its cheaper, pushing their wireless products, etc etc. Money money money.

DanielDD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2013
Portugal
The iPad line was not refreshed yet. And the MacBook Pro use the headphone jack for different connections other than headphones / ear pods

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
By removing the audio jack they can now charge royalty fee to any manufacturer that produces headphones for the iPhone 7 through the MFI program.
Except that they give a lightning to 3.5mm jack free of charge so you can use any headphones you want.

Or encourage people to buy their over priced/hyped Airpods as an alternative.
How can the cheapest totally wireless headphones, with one of the longest battery lives, be "over priced"? Especially when they're cheaper than the competition.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

Moto Z has no headphone jack either. I'm pretty sure others will follow

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/10/11900992/moto-z-specs-no-headphone-jack

borgsauce

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2016
Except that they give a lightning to 3.5mm jack free of charge so you can use any headphones you want.

How can the cheapest totally wireless headphones, with one of the longest battery lives, be "over priced"? Especially when they're cheaper than the competition.

You mean those ugly additions that people tend to lose easily and which cost about $10 each at the Apple store? Do I have to keep carrying it around with me? Nevermind the fact that alot of people are in the habit of being able to charge and use the headphones at the same time.

For its price ,how much better do the Airpods sound compared to Earpods?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
But at the same time didn't really provide much of a solution to use headphones and charge the phone at the same time.

Reactions: H818H

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
Because it takes "courage" to go jackless. Honestly the removal of the jack is an effort to push people to the future which is wireless. Unfortunately me and many others aren't ready to make that jump. You don't just get rid of a universal standard and expect everyone to adapt a proprietary one. I will, however, eventually have to upgrade, which is why I'm waiting to see what this year brings.
They are trying to get everybody to use Bluetooth doing that and getting some kind of wireless charging that doesn't require the device to sit on top of the plug will allow them to remove the lightning port completely.
[doublepost=1485392854][/doublepost]
But at the same time didn't really provide much of a solution to use headphones and charge the phone at the same time.
Wireless charging is hopefully coming this year which will allow that. It's not like they aren't the only manufacturer that did this nor were they the first.
[doublepost=1485392891][/doublepost]
Moto Z has no headphone jack either. I'm pretty sure others will follow

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/10/11900992/moto-z-specs-no-headphone-jack
The G5 didn't have one either.
[doublepost=1485393087][/doublepost]
THIS !

If I'm going to switch to a new standard, I prefer a non-proprietary solution and that seems to point in the direction of the USB-C these days.
There is no standard for type C yet. Which is why you have to be careful about where you buy those cables from. Also Apple is not going to remove a port that has the same functionality as the one that replaces it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Wireless charging is hopefully coming this year which will allow that. It's not like they aren't the only manufacturer that did this nor were they the first.
Even if it does, it won't really change anything for the iPhone 7 line of phones.

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
Why would you put a lightning port on an MBP when the jack technology is still there? It would introduce another port people are not prepared to accept for computers and you'd have to provide the adapter or lightning port headphones with the computer.

In regards to why the iPhone 7/7+ and not any other device my only thought would be this: Presumably you aren't using an iPad or an MBP in or around water.

The iPhone 7/7+ owes much of it's water 'resistance' to the fact that Apple plugged the large hole that is the audio jack.
Samsung Galaxy 7

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.