Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

southfrisco

macrumors member
May 24, 2009
Many have already stated the icons are designed based on the original (and public) keynotes for the iPhone generation one.

Clock - Time of day iPhone was announced
Weather - The temperature outside when the iPhone was announced
Original Calendar - The day the iPhone one was announced

Maps - Location of Apple headquarters

--Everything has meaning with :apple:

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Am really surprised at Apple. The King of Easy and they don't make dynamically updated icons? So I need to actually open the clock to see what time it is? Waaaaaa?

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Right, I was just wondering why they didn't change the icons to be active. Seems like a simple, no-brainer thing to do.

The cal icon updates once a day. Time and weather would have to update continuously with the weather app having to do continually icons switches as well.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Am really surprised at Apple. The King of Easy and they don't make dynamically updated icons? So I need to actually open the clock to see what time it is? Waaaaaa?

Huh.
I guess you missed the BIG ASS clock at the top of the screen and on the lock screen.

Anyways. Cal updates once per day. Time/weather continuously update.
Try installing the jailbreak that puts location based weather on your home screen and watch your battery vanish.

Variable7

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2013
I don't know about the weather icon. My theory about the clock time is that it's because the hour and minute hands form the golden angle. (Reference: http://goo.gl/Zm0fF
You will notice that Apple uses the golden ratio in many of the other standard app icons and of course their logo. (just google "apple golden ratio")

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Oh goodness people, don't you all have something better to do than rehash a stupid theory thread on numbers on an icon ? :confused: Go outside and breath some fresh air

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.