Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
People don't realize how much work goes into this stuff. I have no problem whatsoever with this, especially the ad revenue. I run a photography website that gets a good amount of traffic, and I don't really do it for profit, though I do make a couple hundred bucks a month on it. That said, I also spend money to obtain review samples for my reviews (I have a sponsorship, so it's just shipping, but still...that can add up), and I pay to host myself. All told, I probably end up with about $2,500 a year extra from the site's ad revenue. As it's not my primary income by any stretch, that's nice, and I get a little extra money I can put back into photography.

The thing is...I've written over 120 articles in the past year. Some are short and only take 10-15 minutes to write. Many, especially the reviews, take 4-8 hours to write, take the product photos, etc. Plus, for reviews, I have to make sure to go out and use the equipment extensively in order to write proper reviews, which can be many, many hours of shooting...all while putting in 45-50 hours a week at my normal job. All told, I've probably put about 400 hours of work into the website this past year...which means I earn around $6.25 an hour for that work...less than minimum wage. I'm certainly not doing it for the money.

These guys have spent WELL beyond that I'm sure in jailbreak development for the benefit of hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people. If they pull in a few extra bucks for their efforts, good for them.

King Bowser

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
People don't realize how much work goes into this stuff. I have no problem whatsoever with this, especially the ad revenue. I run a photography website that gets a good amount of traffic, and I don't really do it for profit, though I do make a couple hundred bucks a month on it. That said, I also spend money to obtain review samples for my reviews (I have a sponsorship, so it's just shipping, but still...that can add up), and I pay to host myself. All told, I probably end up with about $2,500 a year extra from the site's ad revenue. As it's not my primary income by any stretch, that's nice, and I get a little extra money I can put back into photography.

The thing is...I've written over 120 articles in the past year. Some are short and only take 10-15 minutes to write. Many, especially the reviews, take 4-8 hours to write, take the product photos, etc. Plus, for reviews, I have to make sure to go out and use the equipment extensively in order to write proper reviews, which can be many, many hours of shooting...all while putting in 45-50 hours a week at my normal job. All told, I've probably put about 400 hours of work into the website this past year...which means I earn around $6.25 an hour for that work...less than minimum wage. I'm certainly not doing it for the money.

These guys have spent WELL beyond that I'm sure in jailbreak development for the benefit of hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people. If they pull in a few extra bucks for their efforts, good for them.

agreed. Very well said man.

Imagine if a jailbreak was 50 bucks.. I bet everyone and their mama would give up 50 bucks if not more for a jailbreak. They aren't charging anything. Go click the website a couple times for them , donate some cash, they more than deserve it.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Yeah, I have a feeling he's butthurt that he's not apart of the group and won't be receiving any part of the donations. There was no drama until he started whining about every little bit, starting with the website coming up before the jailbreak and claiming they are making ad revenue as well as the donation button.

Its childish.
Why not make ad revenue? They put in all this work and dedication to release a free JB and they're not suppose to make anything?
There's going to be millions of users using that website and downloading the JB, let the bros make a few bucks.
They deserve every penny they get.
Im gonna kick in a few bucks their way so they can have a beer on me after I JB my iphone.

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
How lucky we all are to be living during the most negative period of human history.

A group of people spend countless hours working on something that millions of people want, offer it up for free, and STILL people bitch about something.

It is astonishing.

I would love for people who have a problem with the donation button to make a list of all the things they have done in their lives for absolutely no benefit to themselves. It should make for very fast reading.

When historians document our generation, they can do it with just one line: haters gonna hate.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
I donated a billion dollars and it's still not released.... What the heck?

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
Why? People still have to develop those apps/tweaks like normal iOS developers do. What makes those developers exempt from making money on their work?

If I absolutely HAD to pay, I'd rather do a down payment for access to the free apps. Not a dollar here, 2.99 there, oh noes

See? Because then you have people jailbreaking the jailbreakers

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
If I absolutely HAD to pay, I'd rather do a down payment for access to the free apps. Not a dollar here, 2.99 there, oh noes

Jailbreaking is not the same as app developing.
A lot of apps you get free, some you pay for, not every thing in life is a freebie...

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
What is that supposed to mean? Jailbreaking is the act of unlocking an iOS device. How do you unlock an unlocked device...?

Wait - Do you mean "You'd have people pirating the jailbreak apps?"

Exactly. Pirates pirating pirated

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
What is that supposed to mean? Jailbreaking is the act of unlocking an iOS device. How do you unlock an unlocked device...?

Wait - Do you mean "You'd have people pirating the jailbreak apps?"

Jailbreaking is NOT unlocking :rolleyes:

Jailbreaking means gaining root access to the file system, and in many cases installing Cydia.

Unlocking is opening up a device to be allowed on a carrier other than the one it's locked to by the contract.

Exactly. Pirates pirating pirated

Bonskovsky, you make no sense.

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
Well said.
I wouldn't advise anyone to bother responding to bonskovsky.
I put him on my ignore list a while ago.

What he means is that if they charged for the programs to facilitate the jailbreak like redsn0w people would just pirate them.Hes also on my ignore list but I see what he means juiced

stlblufan

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
New York City
It's frankly embarrassing that this thread even exists. Who cares if they have a donate button? Don't ever go to the site, wait for the jailbreak. On the other hand, what does it cost you to go to the site? Nothing! If the ads bother you, don't click on them. Nothing lost, right, and you are gaining an asset that you much desire. Where else in the world is this possible? I really do not understand this whole @ionic line of thinking / this thread.

Last edited:

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-01 at 10.54.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-01 at 10.54.44 PM.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 317

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
How am I on everyone's ignore list, yet you can still be involved in conversations involving me? Doesn't that just make the ignore list moot?

Anyway, what's the point of having to buy pirated apps when you could just get the legit apps? If a jailbreaker makes a person pay for their apps, it goes against the philosophy of jailbreaking. You're no better than the corporations behind it all. If you're going to have a fee you need to know where to place the fee. It's like putting a bootleg DVD and a BLU Ray of the same movie on the same shelf at the same price.

I swear, these jailbreaker and their supporters are getting a little too ahead of themselves.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
How am I on everyone's ignore list, yet you can still be involved in conversations involving me? Doesn't that just make the ignore list moot?

Anyway, what's the point of having to buy pirated apps when you could just get the legit apps? If a jailbreaker makes a person pay for their apps, it goes against the philosophy of jailbreaking. You're no better than the corporations behind it all. If you're going to have a fee you need to know where to place the fee. It's like putting a bootleg DVD and a BLU Ray of the same movie on the same shelf at the same price.

I swear, these jailbreaker and their supporters are getting a little too ahead of themselves.

No. Those jailbreak tweaks and apps either effect the OS in some way or they are avoiding the 30-70 split.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
Doesn't make much sender to me, you might as well be an App Store developer if you're going to be doing it for profit. You'd make more money that way.

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
Doesn't make much sender to me, you might as well be an App Store developer if you're going to be doing it for profit. You'd make more money that way.

You cant release tweaks on Apples App Store. Maybe your tweak required much more work than a regular App Store app or game. Maybe you deserve the money, anyway the Tweak would be your intelectual property and you could take money for it if thats what you wanted.

Did you even try to jailbreak to see what is available?

here is an example of something that could never be on the app store

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.