Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
On the Apple store, you can config your iMac to 3 Gb with 1x2 GB and 1x1 GB, why not 2x2 GB??

Is the logic board limited to 3 only...?

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Apparantly while the chipset can recognise 4Gb, some of it is reserved for VRAM, so Apple caps it off at 3Gb (doubt the absolute max would be much more anyhow)

David

MacProGuy

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2006
Jiddick ExRex said:
On the Apple store, you can config your iMac to 3 Gb with 1x2 GB and 1x1 GB, why not 2x2 GB??

Is the logic board limited to 3 only...?

This is an Intel Chipset issue... this has nothing to do with Apple whatsoever. All the PC Laptops that use the Intel Core Duo 2 CPUS also are affected with this "issue".

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
orangezorki said:
Apparantly while the chipset can recognise 4Gb, some of it is reserved for VRAM, so Apple caps it off at 3Gb (doubt the absolute max would be much more anyhow)

David

Just to clarify, this is incorrect. iMacs have dedicated VRAM on the graphics card. As the third post pointed out, it is simply an issue with the intel chipset.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
MacProGuy said:
This is an Intel Chipset issue... this has nothing to do with Apple whatsoever. All the PC Laptops that use the Intel Core Duo 2 CPUS also are affected with this "issue".

not ture at my church we have a window production box, stupid windows only software, with a core2 and 4gb of ram. and Snapshot 2006-09-30 09-29-14.jpg

MacProGuy

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2006
Rokem said:
not ture at my church we have a window production box, stupid windows only software, with a core2 and 4gb of ram. and View attachment 58774

This has to do with the CHIPSET on the core2... you can also put 4 GIGs on the iMac... Apple doesn't do it because if you order that box, and look at the available RAM, it will be just over 3GB.

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
admanimal said:
Just to clarify, this is incorrect. iMacs have dedicated VRAM on the graphics card. As the third post pointed out, it is simply an issue with the intel chipset.

Yes, I do understand that, but the chipset is of a family that includes setups with integrated graphics. I'm not sure about the details but either this is hardwired for graphics functions which aren't used, or the address that would be used for the extra GB are diverted to the VRAM - is that correct?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.