Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
knights said:
I misunderstood universal to mean any computer period. So does that mean that all of Mac's software will be made universally for the new Intel Macs and the PPC Macs? I was under the impression that the owners of the PPC Macs were getting screwed.

Yes, "universal" refers to running on both PPC and Intel Macs. And yes, one day, there will be "intel only" apps that just run on Macintels. However, for most major apps that will be quite a long time into the future - remember that until a couple of weeks ago, the install base was 100% PPC. And, while the maintel install base will grow, it will be a long, long time before it is the MAJORITY of the install base (which is different from new sales)... you wouldn't believe how many folks are still on pre-OS X macs! You have to think in terms of YEARS, MANY years before the *majority* of the install base will be maintels. What developer in his right mind is going to ignore such a large market (legacy PPC)in favor of the small one (maintel)? So count on the "univeral" binaries to be around for a long time. So, what if one day (distantly in the future), there will be no more software written for the PPC platform? Here's a clue: it means nothing - reason being that by the time that happens, your current PPC computer (see my sig :) ) will be more than ready for an update... and the update will be a new maintel. So definitely, there's no way that PPC owners will get screwed. Incidentally, as PPC hardware is still being sold, and will be for many months, Apple makes Apple Care available for those - that's an extra 3 years... figure, that means they HAVE to service the PPC platform until at least 2008/2009 (and by the way, they have a contract with Freescale who makes the G4 until 2008). I'd say, that means you'll be safe until at least then. And seriously, do you know how old/outdated a 4 years old computer is? I think by the time 2009 rolls around, you may want to buy a new macintel regardless!

myshoeshurt

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Victoria, B.C.
BakedBeans said:
YOUR AVERAGE PC

pc0ym.jpg

Hahahah... worst possible picture of a PC setup. His point remains though... Macs just kill clutter (if you don't make the mistake of putting it in the middle of a giant desk).

ieani

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2006
the states for now
BakedBeans said:
YOUR AVERAGE PC

pc0ym.jpg

How could anyone live like that? I absolutely hate clutter, almost compulsively. Its one of the many reasons I have gone Mac. Now what we need is Apple to start removing clutter from home theater systems with a media center/gaming system/digital reciever mac as thin as a DVD player.

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
myshoeshurt said:
Hahahah... worst possible picture of a PC setup. His point remains though... Macs just kill clutter (if you don't make the mistake of putting it in the middle of a giant desk).
WTF are you talking about, thats the best setup ive seen ever. Just look at the nice beige 800x600 HiRes CRT and that beautiful beige chassis. I hope it runs windows 98 since thats a wayy better OS than Mac X! Who needs 256 megs of ram anyway, I would take that over and Quad G5 or MacBook anyday!

Seriously Though
Once You Go Mac, You'll Never Go Back (Normally):)

Stinkythe1

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2005
ziwi said:
Dells are great forthe get on the internet, read Email and write documents crowd - so there is a need -

I disagree. Mac's are incredibly easy and for ANYONE who just does these simple things, I would recommend a mac. In fact, I would recommend a Mac to ANYONE except someone who is a heavy PC gamer or someone who uses specialized software like autocad or something like that.

Man... I have to troubleshoot trouble at some clinics every now and then, and it always seems to be spyware. I would throw out their dells and switch them out with a mac mini in a heartbeat if their medical software for records and such ran on os x.

But yeah... macs are good for pretty much anyone.

kiwi-in-uk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2004
AU
puckhead193 said:
when will a new version of final cut/ production set be available.
If you mean the Universal version of Final Cut Studio, then Apple says they are expected by 31 March. One assumes that these will include some functional updates. The individual applications will no longer be available. Apple is advertising (what I believe is a bargain ...) cross-grade/upgrade program for owners of recent versions of existing individual applications, beginning 01 Feb (Have a look in the Apple online store, under Final Cut Studio)

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Laser47 said:
Once You Go Mac, You'll Never Go Back (Normally):)
I have both, and they both have their strengths and weaknesses. Like the PC is better at gaming (which I never do anymore). And... um... sucking?

Seriously though, unless you buy a top of the line Dell, they don't seem to be very good. I couldn't tell you how many friends' systems I've worked on that sucked. All cheap. Even the midlines have problems. I used to work on them at my last job. They weren't as good as the IBMs we used at the job I had before that, and nowhere near as good as my home builts. Not that Apple's are perfect, I've seen some bad ones from them too (G3 iBook, G5 iMac, old G4 PowerMac), but overall I find they are a much better design. The support is generally better IMO too.

But again, that's just my experience.

EHUnlucky7x9@ao

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2006
New Jersey
LoL... saw the pictures... i had to comment....that top picture looked like my setup in my old computer room back in 1998 when I first bought a computer...does anyone know the brand that PC is?! LoL... I had an E-Z Machine. I'm glad I went towards the right route when I bought the swivel neck iMac G4 back in 2001.

emmawu

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
Wauwatosa, WI
I won't buy a Dell, receive a Dell for a gift or allow any Dell products to live in my house because Michael Dell said if it were up to him, he would buy Apple, shut it down and give the money back to the investors. I think Michael Dell is not a nice guy and I don't want him to have any of my money.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
knights said:
So is it only the software that makes iMac special? The hardware is pretty much the same, it's the OS and Final Cut that separates them from PC. Are you sure that the new version of FCP due out in March won't play on PCs because I thought I read otherwise?

i wouldn't be surprised if one of the phd students in the ucsc lab, or at nearby cal or stanford could make a hack that would make final cut work on a dell...heck, maybe some 12 year old kid in the burbs could make that work but who cares?

the main issue here is that on every level...durability, looks, software working seamlessly with hardware, tech support, and comaraderie are all things that make the macintosh a very special and unique computer

on the pc side, dollar for dollar, the dell is cheaper and more reliable than most of the pc makers out there and the years of reviews seem to show that but for about 20% percent more you can get a mac and like apple's ipod, a macintosh becomes like another member of the family

strange, i know, :) but you have to own your first mac to know what i am talking about...i have used many a dell in computer science classes and though they did their tasks just fine, it just felt like a tool like a #2 pencil

using a mac is an experience every time and nearly 30 years later, i am still happy with what comes out of apple inc

johnnybluejeans

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
New York, NY
This thread is hilarious. I honestly think knights is just a comedic genius messing with everyone. I mean seriously, "Intel G5." Nothing makes a PPC zealot's blood boil more than a mistake like that.

myshoeshurt

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Victoria, B.C.
Laser47 said:
WTF are you talking about, thats the best setup ive seen ever. Just look at the nice beige 800x600 HiRes CRT and that beautiful beige chassis.

And if I'm not mistaken... I see... wait... and open slot for DUAL FLOPPY DRIVE CAPABILITY!

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Because they're UGLY!!!!

While I personally think this is an important factor, there are all of the other things that people have mentioned which make Macs SO much better.

Our "family" is a Dell from about 6 years ago, and I have to admit it did the job, except for when it was plagued with spyware or viruses. The DVD drive also died about a week after the warranty ended, and Dell refused to replace it.

Now that I've been back on Mac for nearly a year now, there is NO WAY I would ever go back to using a Windows PC.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
emmawu said:
I won't buy a Dell, receive a Dell for a gift or allow any Dell products to live in my house because Michael Dell said if it were up to him, he would buy Apple, shut it down and give the money back to the investors. I think Michael Dell is not a nice guy and I don't want him to have any of my money.

him, too...yikes, that sounds like bill gates/paul allen

at least the other computer multibillionaire out there, larry ellison, is a friend of steve jobs and on the road to eventually surpassing bill gates (he already surpassed paul allen)...he he...maybe he can buy microsoft and shut them down and give the money to apple ;)

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
emmawu said:
Michael Dell said if it were up to him, he would buy Apple, shut it down and give the money back to the investors.
Wow he really said that, what and ******.

Personally I think dell is only good for their really cheap computers. But unfortunately you get what you pay for.

Iyan

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2005
CNET: Dell will always be the frumpier country cousin of Apple

Why buy Dell?
It's cheaper at the time you are buying;
But it's frumpier (based on CNET's words);
you are not premium customer;
you only cry for daddy when you have problem since you don't have a local Dell genius;
you can buy Leveno, it's cheaper even than Dell, given the time for their adaptation for US marketing;
you can live on with Walmart, but some people just buy toilet paper, detergent and so on but never buy clothing, furniture there, plain and simple: you can want cheap stuff to wipe your ass but you donot want your ass sit on cheap stuff which is rooted as human nature.

Dell's 30-inch and Apple's 30-inch:
CNET score: Dell 7.6; Apple 7.9 (CNET is a notorious Apple basher)
CNET words for Dell: Dell is well known for churning out good-quality but slightly frumpier versions of the latest technology, be it an MP3 player or a handheld. This time, it's a 30-inch LCD that could be the country cousin of Apple's Cinema Display line.
CNET words for Apple: It's so lovely that we're willing to forgive its high price, limited adjustability, and lack of video inputs. In fact, hooking it up to a comparatively hideous Intel-based PC feels like such a crime that we're beginning to suspect an ulterior motive on Apple's part.

Link: http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_Widescreen_UltraSharp_3007WFP/4505-3174_7-31645040-2.html?tag=sub

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.