Why not buy a Quadro 4500FX...?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by UnixMac, Aug 21, 2006.

  1. UnixMac macrumors 6502

    UnixMac

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2002
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #1
    Ok... other than the obvious.. the $1100 premium over the X1900XT..


    Is there an operational/performacne reason not to buy the MacPro with the "top end" card? I'm hating to wait the extra 4 weeks for the X1900XT, but if it's in fact the best card, I'll wait.. if OTOH I can get more frame rates, and better video out of the 4500FX.. then I'll pony up, and save a month of waiting!

    I don't use CAD or Maya.. mostly FCP HD / Aperture / iaps / 3d games / Photoshop, etc..

    thanks..
     
  2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

    MovieCutter

    Joined:
    May 3, 2005
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #2
    If you don't use Maya, you don't need this card. For Final Cut Studio, games, Adobe Apps, etc., the x1900 is going to give you the same, if not better, performance, for $1000 less. The price->performance ration makes teh x1900 a MUCH better buy even if it was 20% slower. And what I would do is order your Mac Pro with the 7300, and order the x1900 separately...that way you get your tower right away without having to wait bloody forever, it might be worth the extra $150. You can always sell the 7300 to someone who wants a seconds card or use it yourself with a DVI to Svideo adapter for external TV support or more monitors.
     
  3. UnixMac thread starter macrumors 6502

    UnixMac

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2002
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #3
    thanks.. I'm convinced.. plus, now there is rumor (in another thread here) that maybe the delay for the 1900 is due to the "fact" that Apple may be subing out the 1900 for 1950's.. they're due to launch that product on the 15th of Sept.. hmm... Wishful thinking? :D
     
  4. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

    MovieCutter

    Joined:
    May 3, 2005
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #4

    Oooh, hell yeah...that would be really awesome. BUt even more reason to buy the x1900 separately.
     
  5. UnixMac thread starter macrumors 6502

    UnixMac

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2002
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #5
    is it sold that way now? I didn't see it being sold alone.

    I wouldn't mind buying a 7300 card for now, and a 1950 later.... but then what if Apple jacks up the price to $600+ if not purchased now?
     
  6. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2006
    Location:
    Scotland
    #6
    The Apple store has the 1900 and the 7300 for sale as seperate cards - though their is a 5 week wait for the 1900 when I last looked...
     
  7. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

    BlizzardBomb

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2005
    Location:
    England
    #7
    Not a rumor, more wishful thinking. If Apple really had that attitude then they would of upgraded everyone's 7800 GT to a 7800 GTX on the PowerMac G5.
     
  8. UnixMac thread starter macrumors 6502

    UnixMac

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2002
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #8
    I called to see how much time it would shave off if I ordred the 7300 card, and back ordred the 1900, and it's not worth it... a 1 week time savings, and I pay an extra $100..

    Plus there is always that 1950 wishful thinking! :D
     
  9. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2006
    Location:
    Scotland
    #9
    I toyed with getting an FX4500 - but in the end I just went for a stock 7300 and splurged on CPU and memory. Don't play games much - but I am going to need all the omph I can get from the CPUs and memory for rendering in Lightwave when it goes UB.

    Figure I can give the thing a mid-life perk-up with an new video card about a year or so down the line.
     

Share This Page