Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Lol @ fooling people.

No, they just made a better phone

Agreed, while I didn't bother reading the initial post. It is fair to say that the Galaxy S3, and Note2 were simply better than every Android smartphone out there. The OneX in second place didn't even hold a candle to Samsungs offerings. People aren't dumb, if there were a better Android phone out there people would be buying it.

As for Apple, and the iPhone are concerned they've gotten lazy. The iPhone 5 was evolutionary rather than revolutionary. Sure smartphones in general may be tapped out in terms of new features that can actually be added. But larger screens believe it or not, actually add useful functionality to the phone. Apple is really losing out, by keeping the iPhone conservative at only 4". If you can't find what you want with an Apple product, go to where you can find it. :cool:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
The most popular smartphone by what measure? Android phones outsell iPhones and Samsung is leading them. In the UK last month the top three best selling smartphones were all Samsungs while the iPhone 5 was way down in seventh place.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...are-worlds-two-most-popular-smartphone-models

Galaxy S3 outsold by both the 5 and the 4S in Q4 2012.

You can't compare Android (an OS) to an iPhone (a phone) because Android is on hundreds of phones.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...are-worlds-two-most-popular-smartphone-models

Galaxy S3 outsold by both the 5 and the 4S in Q4 2012.

You can't compare Android (an OS) to an iPhone (a phone) because Android is on hundreds of phones.

That just depends on which analytics company you listen to, but it's two against one here. The majority agree Samsung had the best selling smartphone in Q4 2012:

Gartner clamed that in the fourth quarter of 2012, Samsung’s overall smartphone sales continued to accelerate totaling 64.5 million units, up 85.3 percent from the fourth quarter of 2011.

In contrast, Apple’s sales reached 43.5 million units in the fourth quarter of 2012, up 22.6 percent year-on-year.

In addition, last month, worldwide smartphone data from IDC indicated that Apple's worldwide market share grew to 25.1 percent in 2012 but it was in second place worldwide, behind market leader Samsung.

According to that report, Apple's total iPhone shipments increased 46.9% last year, from 93.1 million handsets in 2011 to 136.8 million in 2012.

The IDC data suggested that Samsung grew its shipments by 129.1 percent, double that of Apple's year-over-year growth, notes Apple Insider.

And like I said, last month the top three smartphones in the UK were all Samsungs.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Last edited:

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
That just depends on which analytics company you listen to, but it's two against one here. The majority agree Samsung had the best selling smartphone in Q4 2012:

And like I said, last month the top three smartphones in the UK were all Samsungs.

Maybe I'm missing it in the article but the one you linked does not dispute what matteye said and doesn't support what you said.

It still says the iPhone 5 and 4S were the best selling smartphones in Q4 2012 but Samsung sold more smartphones overall. That doesn't mean they had the top smartphone.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

Did you read your own link? It says that Samsung had the most smartphone sales in Q4 2012. It doesn't say that any single Samsung smartphone outsold the 5 or the 4S. So we have one company claiming that the 5 and the 4S were the most popular smartphones and another company that doesn't dispute that. Anything else we should take into account? It's not surprising that Samsung would have more smartphone sales, they release multiple versions of most of their smartphones (S2, S2 skyrocket, etc.) and they also release their Notes and S series phones alongside each other throughout the year. Apple only does one iPhone each year.

Yeah the iPhone hasn't been top dog in the UK for a long time. No arguments there. I'm talking about the world :)

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Wow. You REALLY are a Samsung/Android fanboy.

Apple has 6 iPhone models (3 realistically) how many I wonder how many Samsung devices are out there by comparison.

Not really, I'm just correcting incorrect information. Samsung are kicking Apple's ass in smartphone sales right now.

Besides, what are you trying to do, diss Samsung for actually catering to all parts of the market and provide actual choice for their customers? As opposed to Apple which only provides the choice of buying either the iPhone 5 or their outdated models?

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Not really, I'm just correcting incorrect information. Samsung are kicking Apple's ass in smartphone sales right now.

Besides, what are you trying to do, diss Samsung for actually catering to all parts of the market and provide actual choice for their customers? As opposed to Apple which only provides the choice of buying either the iPhone 5 or their outdated models?

You haven't corrected any incorrect information, you've just completely misinterpreted either what I said or what the article said.

I said that two iPhone models were the most popular smartphones in the world in Q4 2012. All you've done is provided an article that says Samsung sold the most smartphones in Q4 2012.

You do realise that both of those can be true? Samsung can sell more smartphones, but it doesn't mean any of those smartphones outsold the iPhone 5 or the 4S individually. They just have more smartphone variants to sell and, accumulatively, their smartphones outsell Apple smartphones.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Did you read your own link? It says that Samsung had the most smartphone sales in Q4 2012. It doesn't say that any single Samsung smartphone outsold the 5 or the 4S. So we have one company claiming that the 5 and the 4S were the most popular smartphones and another company that doesn't dispute that. Anything else we should take into account? It's not surprising that Samsung would have more smartphone sales, they release multiple versions of most of their smartphones (S2, S2 skyrocket, etc.) and they also release their Notes and S series phones alongside each other throughout the year. Apple only does one iPhone each year.

Yeah the iPhone hasn't been top dog in the UK for a long time. No arguments there. I'm talking about the world :)

What difference does it make? Nowhere did I claim that the S3 in particular is the best selling smartphone (although some sources do say just that).

If customers are choosing old Samsungs over the iPhone then if anything that's worse for Apple. Like I said to Kariya just now, Samsung release different models to provide users with choice. A lot of Apple customers want that too - just look at all the people who want a bigger screen on their iPhones - but Apple is too stubborn to provide it, so they're losing sales to Samsung with the S2, S3, S4, Note, and Note 2. Providing different products for different market segments increases sales, who'd 'a thunk it?

----------

You haven't corrected any incorrect information, you've just completely misinterpreted either what I said or what the article said.

I said that two iPhone models were the most popular smartphones in the world in Q4 2012. All you've done is provided an article that says Samsung sold the most smartphones in Q4 2012.

You do realise that both of those can be true? Samsung can sell more smartphones, but it doesn't mean any of those smartphones outsold the iPhone 5 or the 4S individually. They just have more smartphone variants to sell and, accumulatively, their smartphones outsell Apple smartphones.

Read my post above. What you're saying does not matter.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
What difference does it make? Nowhere did I claim that the S3 in particular is the best selling smartphone (although some sources do say just that).

If customers are choosing old Samsungs over the iPhone then if anything that's worse for Apple. Like I said to Kariya just now, Samsung release different models to provide users with choice. A lot of Apple customers want that too - just look at all the people who want a bigger screen on their iPhones - but Apple is too stubborn to provide it, so they're losing sales to Samsung with the S2, S3, S4, Note, and Note 2. Providing different products for different market segments increases sales, who'd 'a thunk it?

----------

Read my post above. What you're saying does not matter.

You didn't say the S3 was the best selling smartphone, but you said that Samsung had the best selling smartphone:

"That just depends on which analytics company you listen to, but it's two against one here. The majority agree Samsung had the best selling smartphone in Q4 2012:"

Which one were you saying was the most popular smartphone, if not the S3? The S2? The Note 2? Or are you just trying to backtrack? ;)

I never said anything other than that Apple creates the world's most popular smartphone; you are the one trying to make a big thing out of it, so if it doesn't matter, why did you respond?

Edit: By the way, the link you provided talks about the S3 being the most popular smartphone in Q3 2012, not Q4.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
You didn't say the S3 was the best selling smartphone, but you said that Samsung had the best selling smartphone:

"That just depends on which analytics company you listen to, but it's two against one here. The majority agree Samsung had the best selling smartphone in Q4 2012:"

Which one were you saying was the most popular smartphone, if not the S3? The S2? The Note 2? Or are you just trying to backtrack? ;)

I never said anything other than that Apple creates the world's most popular smartphone; you are the one trying to make a big thing out of it, so if it doesn't matter, why did you respond?

Edit: By the way, the link you provided talks about the S3 being the most popular smartphone in Q3 2012, not Q4.

I said that Samsung smartphones sell better than Apple's, not that any particular Samsung outsold any particular iPhone. You're arguing against a strawman, and a strawman based on a minor technicality at that. Samsung are selling more smartphones than Apple, whether or not those sales are spread over multiple models is simply irrelevant.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I said that Samsung smartphones sell better than Apple's, not that any particular Samsung outsold any particular iPhone. You're arguing against a strawman, and a strawman based on a minor technicality at that. Samsung are selling more smartphones than Apple, whether or not those sales are spread over multiple models is simply irrelevant.

In post #28 you said Samsung had the best selling smartphone (singular). It's there for everyone to see!

I'm not the one trying to turn my comments into something they're not. I responded to somebody who said they thought that Apple would find 2013 difficult, by saying that they still have the world's most popular smartphone. That's not a sign of a company on the brink of defeat. Quite the opposite, in fact. :p

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
In post #28 you said Samsung had the best selling smartphone (singular). It's there for everyone to see!

I'm not the one trying to turn my comments into something they're not. I responded to somebody who said they thought that Apple would find 2013 difficult, by saying that they still have the world's most popular smartphone. That's not a sign of a company on the brink of defeat. Quite the opposite, in fact. :p

Meh, typo. My original post on this matter simply said:

The most popular smartphone by what measure? Android phones outsell iPhones and Samsung is leading them. In the UK last month the top three best selling smartphones were all Samsungs while the iPhone 5 was way down in seventh place.

And that statement is true.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Meh, typo. My original post on this matter simply said:

And that statement is true.

Right but you asked by what measure the iPhone was the most popular; it's the most popular by SALES. You have provided nothing to refute this so far. All you've shown is that Samsung sells more smartphones in total, which is another thing entirely.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Right but you asked by what measure the iPhone was the most popular; it's the most popular by SALES. You have provided nothing to refute this so far. All you've shown is that Samsung sells more smartphones in total, which is another thing entirely.

No I'm comparing like for like. I never disputed the popularity of any particular model of iPhone, I was talking about the iPhone as a whole line of products. Apple's line of smartphones is being outsold by Samsung's line of smartphones, that's the bottom line.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
No I'm comparing like for like. I never disputed the popularity of any particular model of iPhone, I was talking about the iPhone as a whole line of products. Apple's line of smartphones is being outsold by Samsung's line of smartphones, that's the bottom line.

Right but the iPhone 5 and 4S are the most popular smartphones in the world. That's what I've said all along. So we're back to where we started.

That was a lot more difficult than it should've been. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

----------

Pretty sad when Apple's fans have to grasp to a spelling error.

How was I meant to know it was a spelling error? I'm not psychic!!

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
"Fooled almost everyone" suggests some level of market research. All I see is a rant piece regarding marketing strategies.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Right but the iPhone 5 and 4S are the most popular smartphones in the world. That's what I've said all along. So we're back to where we started.

Right, but I never even disputed that. I just said the iPhone as a line of products is not the most popular brand of smartphone. Samsung would have that top spot if they did that Apple did and only make one model, but they don't, they provide actual choice for customers which Apple is too stubborn to do.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Right, but I never even disputed that. I just said the iPhone as a line of products is not the most popular brand of smartphone. Samsung would have that top spot if they did that Apple did and only make one model, but they don't, they provide actual choice for customers which Apple is too stubborn to do.

That might be what you MEANT, but that's not how your post came across. You said "By what measure is the iPhone the most popular smartphone?"

"iPhone" is singular.

If you were more clear about what you actually mean you wouldn't be constantly pulled up about things.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
So everyone is up in arms about Samsung's terribly awkward Galaxy S4 launch event. Everyone is equally in arms about Samsung's apparent rise to the throne against Apple.

But did you really read the fine print? Do you really understand what Samsung is doing?

"The Next Big Thing is Already Here"
Do you think a line like that and a commercial mocking iPhone buyers waiting in line, REALLY makes iPhone users abandon their comfortable phone for a Galaxy S3 and at this stage a Galaxy S4?

Let me ask you something- What do a lot of Anti-Apple fanatics and Android sympathizers have in common? Their disdain for Apple's popularity despite what their device "does better". They love to point fingers at Apple's iPhone and call it a marginal upgrade over the last year despite long waiting lines and hype.

Oh please poor you all against you dozens of millions of people not buying whatever you happen to favor out of spite.

Please, do grow up most people dont care one bit about apple or samsung but just buy what they like.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

In addition to what I said above, you said:

"I'm just correcting incorrect information."

What incorrect information were you correcting if you weren't disputing that the iPhone is the most popular smartphone?

I think you made a mistake and now you won't admit it. We all make mistakes, it's no big deal, just stop digging :p

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005

I'm not sure how you jump to that conclusion. If Samsung sold one model they'd be selling substantially less phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.