Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
AndyR said:
I always prided myself on my stability of my PC as well thinking it run like a dream. Its only now after 8 months with my Mac that I realise how much time I sucked up keeping my PC running that smoothly and that I don't have to do any of that on my Mac, just leave it on overnight every so often.

I've never used a mac (besides a few minutes on my friends) and I have decided that I, too, am going to switch. I am going to college in september and am just going to wait until the new macbook pro comes out with Merom or a 12 incher. I am curious, however, on why you would leave it on overnight? On windows, that would cause a bunch of problems making things stall and stuff, what kind of maintenance work does it do overnight? Wouldn't you hear it the whole night?

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
Badandy said:
I am curious, however, on why you would leave it on overnight? On windows, that would cause a bunch of problems making things stall and stuff, what kind of maintenance work does it do overnight? Wouldn't you hear it the whole night?

A lot of offices leave their computers on overnight for backups/archives without any problems. I leave mine on for archives or long renders. The only problem I have is sometimes my mouse will be tracking oddly the next morning. Nothing that a quick restart won't fix.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
I'm almost certain this user is a troll*. But I think this thread could still be useful for people who are actually considering a switch, so I thought I would respond to the various questions/statements made by the thread starter.

*If you haven't read the whole thread, and the other posts by this user on the forum then it may not be apparent to you, but its pretty clear he just came to this forum to antagonize people or he is just naturally astonishingly rude and clueless.

iWho? said:
sorry, i wasn't specific enough.

With the OS/security etc etc aside, only talking CPUs, because of the new switch to intel, is there any reason to switch.

but i have looked at why people use macs and mostly they say that they "like how it works and stuff" :D

but apart from those people, i have heard good things about security and the interface. However, i have never had one bit of trouble in security with windows, so that's why i was asking.

and

iWho? said:
sorry, i was mostly wondering about hardware advantages.

i guess my question has been answered.

So you bring up a few things here: hardware/cpu, security, and the interface/ease of use, but want to focus on hardware (though later we will hit the others).

Hardware
While all personal computers use essentially the same components (pop open even a PPC mac and Dell and you will find they looks essentially the same), Apple spends a great deal of time/money on the quality of their computers. What does this mean specifically? Well Apple typically choose more expensive and higher quality components when building Macs. Also Apple's very simple line-up of computers (6 right now) means they spend much more time designing each machine then a vendor who offers many dozens of different models. The operating system and various components are engineered to work together well (rather than simply plugging all the parts together the way you or I would if we were building our own machine). Some parts are custom (like the motherboard).

You mentioned that you have an iPod. Notice how all the seams are very tight? Ever pop it open and look inside? If you have you noticed the great care that has been taken in engineering it to fit in there. If you open a PowerMac (or any other mac for that matter) you will find the same great care has been taken in their engineering. User configurable parts are easy to get to, and opening the case is easy. Since the PowerMac has the most user configurable parts its the best showcase for this point. Take a trip to your local Apple store and pop one open. Its got a simple latch on the side and the guts lay out nicely so you can reach everything

The extreme quality of the engineering you see on the outside (as evidenced by the seams and such) extends to the guts of the machine, and thus the actual functioning of the hardware. This is further evidenced by customer service satisfaction surveys which consistently rate Apple above all other PC manufacturers, and failure rates which consistently show Apples having lower rates of failure/problems than other PCs.

So while the hardware of all PCs might be essentially the same (and some of us might prefer an AMD to an Intel) the quality with which Apple engineers things brings the hardware to a higher level (and I didn't even mention the industrial design).

iWho? said:
oh i've used it plenty of times.

the whole file system is a mess and the interface is a bit too "dumbed down" for me. It just seems too slow and clunky. I've found it gets in my way by thinking it knows what i want to do, when it really doesn't.

Above he is talking about MacOS (I know it sounds like he is talking about Windows, but he's not).

While I am pretty sure the user is being disingenuous with this statement I thought I would still respond to it. These are typically comments people make about MS products since they often try to guess what the user is doing and offer to help or just do things. On the Mac the system won't try to predict what you are doing or place things on your computer without your approval.

But if we assume he is sincere, here is my response.

The file system is based on Unix. Coming from Classic MacOS to MacOSX many users were rather frustrated by the multiple user accounts and home folders with documents folder etc. It felt like we were being told how we had to store our files, and therefore felt Windows-like. I think most of us came to see the advantage of the system though. Much of this has to do with security and the way a system that is designed to be secure is made. By separating user accounts you make a more secure system. And while the file system is more written in stone than it used to be, its actually completely open to you how you arrange files in your home folder. Also there is a great deal of logic in it if you choose to use it. I'll get to more of this later.

The interface is definitely not dumbed down. It is a more more flexible and complex system than any WindowsOS. The true beauty of the MacOS is the interface, and if you do not understand the philosophy behind it then it can take you a few months of use to start seeing why it is better (and even then you won't really know why - it will just work better for you). Unlike Microsoft, Apple writes and maintains extensive documentation on how Applications should look and function. (In another thread iWho commented on people were complaining about Aqua/brushedmetal/unified aqua - and this is why.) What this documentation (and Apple's free software developer tools) means is that every application (if it has been written properly) organizes things in the same way. So we always know where to go for preferences in an application, and they are always called preferences, and they are always organized the same way.

In Windows-based applications one has to learn each new program separately. Preferences are called preferences, settings, options and a dozen other things (often all in the same program) and you have to search for them in all the available menus. Windows has no guidelines for software developers to follow. Every program is organized differently. Not only does this mean you have to learn programs individually (whereas on a Mac once you know how things work you can work any application instantly), but it also means that when multitasking motor memory is not able to speed your work flow.

When Apple first created the PC GUI* when desiging LisaOS (to see a Lisa just watch an episode of Fraggle Rock) they performed extensive psychological studies to see how people interact with objects in their environment and how to increase efficiency.

So for instance Apple found that people can access items on the top of the screen faster than the bottom, and this is why Apple placed the menu bar at the top. Apple found that people access items on the right of the screen faster than the left, and this is why Apple has icons line up on the right of the desktop. Apple found people could access items in the corners of the screen faster so that is why the Apple menu was placed in the upper left, the Application switcher (of classic MacOS) the upper right, and the trash in the lower right. Further Apple found that people accessed edges faster than items not on the edge. This is why things like the Menubar are fixed to the top, rather than being part of a window like in Windows.

And they learned much much more (much of which is locked up in corporate secrets) and they continue these psychological studies in order to improve the GUI. What this translates into is an interface that is built for the way the human mind works and thus you can perform work much faster than you can on an OS like Windows in which decisions on how to organize the OS have been made arbitrarily.

*Often people critisize Apple saying that they stole the GUI concept from Xerox. This isn't true. Apple purchased the initial concept from Xerox and created most of what we know of as the modern PC GUI themselves. Only the concept was purchased.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
iWho? said:
well, The windows file system can be a huge mess by users who don't know what they're doing. I've dealt with computers that are so loaded with crap that they bearly function. However, someone who knows a bit about PCs can keep their computer running very efficiently. I do think the OS X is obscure to begin with, but there is certainly less of a variable in how messed up macs can be. What i'm saying is, it's harder for the average user to mess up a mac. I think the cause for this is that windows is used by the majority of people, not because it's a "worse" operating system.

applications and programs are basicaly the same thing, and windows has a "program files folder"

i think the reason mac os is faster on the average user's computer is that less programs are written to attack mac os, simply because it's the minority. An interesting point is brought up here The reason his machine is faster than others is because he know a fair amount about PCs, it's not that the OS itself is to blame, it's usually the user.

Ok so you bring up a few points here: 1) Windows can be secure 2) Myth about why Macs are more secure 3) Application organiztion.

Lets address each one of these in turn hall we?

Windows can be secure
This is definitely true. Windows can be made to be much more secure than it is for most people. This takes time, expertise, and often money. The reason this doesn't matter to Mac users is that out of the box, with no invested time, expertise, or money their Mac is more secure than the most secured/maintained Windows PC. So while we could all use Windows and spend time making ti secure, why bother when you can use a Mac and get security without all the effort?

Myth about why Macs are more secure
You bring up a common myth about why Macs are more secure than PCs - ie that the lower marketshare of the Mac results in security through obscurity. This is a myth that has been countered with many experiments and arguments regarding the Operating system and I don't want to spend too much time on it since few people beleive this myth anymore so I'll go over it quickly. The MacOS is based on UNIX. UNIX is designed from the ground up to be secure. The most notable aspect of this is that the system does not run in root mode, and superuser access requires authentication to perform any activity. There are many other aspects of the design that make it more secure, but we don't need to go into everything here.

Windows has not been built for security. It has been patched for security. An example of how the level of exploits is not a result of popularity is in areas where Windows isn't king. Namely in the server market. Windows is a small minority in servers, but their software is still host to the overwhelming majority of exploits. It is simply the design of Windows that makes it a security problem.

On a sidenote I find it hard to believe that someone who knows enough to run a secure Windows installation is not aware of this, and I suspect either that the thread starter knows this is a myth or that he isn't as proficient in windows as he likes to believe. Most Windows users polled believe their installation is secure but over 90% when examined had malware on them.

Application Organization
The poster compares the Application folder to the Programs folder after a previous poster points out the ease of use of Applications on the Mac and their central location. I already discussed Apple's HIG (human interface guidelines) but I didn't mention Application packages. Applications on the MacOS Are a single file (or at least they look that way). This is another reason installation/deinstallation and running Applications on the Mac is so easy. No searching around for .exe files amongs thousands of program files. The Application is a single file and you are not bothered by seeing all the subsidiary files it uses to run. Further more preference files for the Application are all stored in a central location in your preferences folder. These are just small touches but they show the commitment Apple makes to quality in respect to the GUI, and why using a Mac is easier. Its a bit like pointing out the foot rest in a luxury car's driver's seat. Its a small touch, but it just goes to show the extent which the designer's went to make a complete and friendly environment.

iWho? said:
umm. My point in starting the thread was to see if i would like Mac OS. I'm into graphics and creative type things, and i heard OS X was great for that. I thought it would be a good idea to join a Mac forum to learn a bit more about it.

i find it interesting how you say you know what i am thinking better than i know what i'm thinking :confused:

Windows works well for me. My Athlon XP 2400+ worked well for me, but i upgraded my system because it is better. I am considering OS X becuase it may be better than what i currently have.

Thanks Jovian9 for your input. Does Mac OS automaticaly find drivers when you plug something in or do you need to install them?

I'm not going to address most of the above comments since its just the poster trying to obscure that he is a troll, but in respect to the whole "Macs are good for creative stuff" thing I wanted to respond. This is something many Mac users say too, and I think it is very misleading and creates a negative image of the Mac. Is the Mac great for creative pursuits? Definitely. But saying this makes it sound like this an area where the Mac shines and it doesn't do so well in other areas, and this is not true. The Mac is good for work of any kind. It is a productivity giant. Any field that makes extensive use of computers tends to prefer Macs. It is only when people lightly use computers that they tend to use Windows, and this is primarily because they simply haven't thought about the purchase as much. People who use the PC extensively (creative or not) want that experience to be as best as it can be and therefore fields where this is the case tend to be dominated by Macs. For example, I am a biologist and Macs make up well over 90% of the computers in this field. Most software I use is only available for Mac or *nix. The same is true of most sciences. Macs are good for getting work done. Windows are not very good for anything besides light computer use and gaming. They can do other things, but just aren't the best tool for the job.

iWho? said:
sorry if i seemed like a troll, but i do question points more than most people.

most of you guys have been really helpful. Thanks.

If you are genuinely not a troll then you are simply rude, short-sighted, and clueless. Please think about what you are saying and where you are. If it was not your intent to irritate people here, then you need to learn to be more tactful. It is not appropriate to through out blanket insulting comments to a community and then expect not to be regarded as a troll. Please be mroe respectful of the community if you want to remain part of it.

barnett25

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2004
Most people are not limited by the speed of their computer's hardware (If they have a newer machine). For most it's not about how fast your computer can work, it's how fast you can work on your computer. This is where MacOS shines. It is designed to allow you to work quickly, instead of making you work around it like Windows and Linux UIs do.

The problem is that unless you are new to computers, you will never see a superior OS or what it is unless you work on it for a while (I would say a couple weeks at least). You have to remember that you are already a power user on Windows, but a n00b on MacOS. Of course you are going to think Macs suck for the first few hours of working on them.

As far as your comment about the file system, I'll just say two words... Windows Registry. The Mac filesystem is designed around the time tested *nix design.

Now all this said,a Mac may not be right for you. If you don't like learning new things, or dont have the time, then you should use what you are used to. But don't make the mistake of thinking that just because Microsoft has made brilliant (if somewhat immoral) buisness decisions and made themselves #1 in Operating Systems, that they actually have a superior product.

That decision can only be made by people that are power-users on both OSs. And from what I've heard, the majority of hackers use Macs, whatever that means to you.

Pick the best tool for the job. It's silly to do anything else.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
jadekitty24 said:
The only one instigating right now is you. The OP nicely asked a question - give your input or go bother someone else. Jeez, why do people get their panties in a bunch every time someone innocently asks for information in the Apple computers??? It's not a personal attck, just a question. Be gone with you.

well it looked as though the OP was trolling, but maybe he was just coming across as a troll, eh? Either way, this thread is pretty unoriginal, isn't there at least another 100 threads related to why to switch to the mac? :)

QueenMadge

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2006
I have not received my iMac yet, here are my reasons

for switching.
1. I want my computer to work.
2. I don't want to have to learn how to reformat the hd and reinstall every bit of software that came with the machine. Multiple times.
3. I don't want to have to run anti-virus software (we have it installed and it updates everytime we log on) to remove a virus that got onto the computer thru net surfing or whatever.
4. Mac machines are "cute", "pretty" aesthetically pleasing, whatever, (don't knock the cuteness factor, after all its what attracted me to my hubby and he's a keeper). Seriously, I have a small space to use for computing and Macs offered something that will work for me.
5. I am looking forward to something that is simple to run. Simple to run is important, it means to me the machine is doing what it is supposed to, so I don't have to MAKE it do what its supposed to.
Margot

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.