Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I don't have a good answer to your question but IMHO unless you are going to use the entire ecosystem there is no compelling case to use just Macs or just iStuff. If you are all in Apple it's great if not then not so much.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
But that's Apple's web site, not Yosemite. It would look the same under Mavericks, no? :confused:

Yup. I checked the Apple web site, accessories section on my iPad and a Dell laptop. The accessories were white ion white and impossible to see detail on anything.

----------

LOL - Sounds more like your monitor needs adjusting...

No, I checked the Apple web site again, using my iPad, a dell Laptop and my Dell desktop at work too. The small accessories are white on white and hard to see detail no mater whit I was using.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
There is no way anyone could ever get me to dump Apple. I have an iPhone 6, iPad mini, iPod Nano, Apple TV and a Mac.. no other company makes this variety of products that work together so seamlessly (iCloud, Continuity, Handoff, AirDrop, AirPlay, etc.).

I have been using DOS/Windows and Apple PCs going all the way back but basically switched to Apple for my laptop full time a few years back because I realized that there was a divide between my desktop use, which I was comfortable keeping on Windows, and my laptop use, which was mobile and would work much better if all my mobile and media were Apple.

Parenthetically, I think the claim that Apple is too expensive compared to Windows machines reflects a failure to actually compare Apples to apples. Sure, you can get a nicely-spec'd $500 Windows laptop. But if you actually buy equivalent hardware and buy equivalent build quality, you're going to be near (sometimes above) Apple prices in almost every case.

MaskedCarrot

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Northern VA
I've been using PCs since the early MS-DOS days in the 80's. Used windows all the way up to windows 7. I got an iMac in early '09 and since then been using boot camp to have both OSs on there, figuring that OS X would just be something to play with and still use windows for regular stuff.

A year or so back i started using OS X more, and hardly use windows these days.

Recently I bought a new rMBP and decided to skip boot camp on it and just go OS X. I'm studying computer security now and will probably have to set up some VMs for other OSs just to have in case I need then, but the thought of putting windows on my new rMBP makes me want to vomit. I wouldn't want to insult it that way.

I always joke with people that once you go Mac, you become a computer snob and look down on windows machines, and after all that joking around I found that I was right. I've turned into a computer snob. Hehe

One thing I have to say though. I really wish Apple would stop coming out with a new OS every year. They just need to stick with one for a few years and spend that time really optimizing it and getting rid of bugs. The same with iOS.

Paulk

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
Sweden
This seems like good advice. have you told Apple about this? It would be good if everyone who has problems do just that.

By the way, in the Yosemite looks terrible thread it was called a form of font rasterisation

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Unless things have changed recently, Windows scatters portions of files all over the disk, so plan on defragging it about once a month.

Macs boot in seconds, Window machines take minutes — sometimes a lot of them.

Defragmentation is a non-issue with SSDs and booting certainly does not take minutes on reasonable hardware. The latter used to be true with XP and Vista, but not anymore.

OSX makes logical sense to me. The organization and unification and Apple ecosystem makes logical sense to me. The finger gestures make sense to me. The layout of the icons and those options make sense to me. The design makes sense to me.

I really agree with that. When you look at the earliest releases of Mac OS X, you realise how much of the thinking at the time is still prevalent now and continues to make OS X both enjoyable and productive. Even in 2015, Windows suffers from the same problems that where there even before XP. To my mind, Windows 10 doesn’t differ enough from Windows XP, it still follows the same tiring paradigms, even though the underlying technologies and the designs have evolved over time.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
That's not always true; there's discussion elsewhere in the forum.

It rarely is, at least it’s not a point to be held against Windows specifically. Defragmentation used to be a chore up to Windows XP, but after that Microsoft included maintenance schedules that dealt with it and it ceased to be a problem for other reasons anyway (bigger and faster drives, SSDs, etc). The user typically does not have to worry about fragmentation anymore and in the rare case in which this is required, it would likewise apply to OS X.

mkeeley

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
Question:
[[ Why should we stick with Mac Os/Macs? ]]

Answer:
Because -- to an old guy like me, at least -- the Windows OS is as incomprehensible as Chinese.

If the Mac OS suddenly disappeared, I'd consider something like Linux, MacUbuntu (?), etc. -- and make do with that.

Yeah because Linux is so much easier than Windows....

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
It can be; the truth is, it depends on the distribution. Take something like ElementaryOS Freya; there you're looking at something which would be very familiar to a Mac OS user.

The problem with copying a paradigm is people expect it to work the way it looks and Linux works like Linux not like OSX.

tpluth

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
Carmichael, CA
The fact that MS takes it upon itself to completely change the user interface to long available, heavily used program (Windows 8, Office 2007 and the 'ribbon'), without providing a backwards compatibility option caused me to switch to Mac and OS X a few years ago.

I'll never go back, because I don't miss the Blue Screen Of Death or the 'Windows Explorer has stopped working. Checking for solution' type of experience that I became used to. It's also nice being able to update apps without having to reboot.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… change the user interface to long available, heavily used program … without providing a backwards compatibility option caused me to switch to Mac and OS X a few years ago. …

Comparable changes by Apple are amongst my reasons for rejecting Yosemite and shifting away from OS X.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Dead simple: I don't think Windows is pretty. There's a noticeable lack of unification compared to OS X. OS X developers pride themselves on making things look "Mac". Windows developers just spit out programs. Often in a code language that causes the GUI to heavily visually deviate from everything else.

OS X is playful and a joy to use, like sitting in a newly furnished corner office. Windows is like sitting in the dorm's common room, where there's every kind of odd decoration from 50 years ago.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Unification and decoration, becoming reasons to prefer alternatives to OS X

… Windows … lack of unification compared to OS X. … odd decoration …

Yosemite promotes weird, sometimes needless or counterproductive, animations and decorations. In some cases by default, optional; in others there's simply no choice.

Within Yosemite I see less unification than within any past Apple operating system for Mac hardware.

"… inconsistency rankles. …

It makes me wonder if Apple was initially enthusiastic about this approach, then realized it wasn’t applicable to many situations, and rather than abandoning it just decided to live with the inconsistency. There’s certainly no clear, this-is-the-future signal. …"​

"… The standards for what constitutes "good-looking" have plummeted dramatically. …"​

tpluth

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
Carmichael, CA
Comparable changes by Apple are amongst my reasons for rejecting Yosemite and shifting away from OS X.

I've only been using OS X since Mountain Lion, but I've noticed no similar sweeping changes to what MS did between Windows 7 and Windows 8.

I'm talking about changes that force the user to learn whole new ways of navigating the system or application, ie. "The Ribbon" that MS introduced in MS Office 2007 that removed the menus and toolbars in favor of the ribbon. As someone who has used Word and Excel since the 90's, having to relearn how to operate these programs was an affront to me. There should have been the option to use the old interface.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
Unless you need to use software that is only available on one OS, there's no reason to stick with an operating system you don't like. Even then, you might be able to use a virtual machine to run that software if you needed to. Personally, I'd never go back to Windows, Linux, or OS X.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
And from what I understand Windows 10 is still using the Windows Registry to store settings and startup items.

And you still have to understand RegEdit to fix some things. For example, there was a bug in Build 9926 that prevented people from updating the OS. there were reports of a registry fix that worked for some people, but most people (myself included) had to actually redownload an updated version of Build 9926 to fix the update issue.

My biggest issues with Windows 10 are the refusal to have all system options accessible from one location (some can only be accessed through the new Settings panel, others through the traditional control panel section), continuing to try to get people to use Metro (although the old UI is essentially back to a large extent), and Microsoft's stupid default programs for photos, music, etc. None of them are worth a dime, although the new IE replacement is actually usable for once.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Yosemite promotes weird, sometimes needless or counterproductive, animations and decorations. In some cases by default, optional; in others there's simply no choice.

Within Yosemite I see less unification than within any past Apple operating system for Mac hardware.

"… inconsistency rankles. …

It makes me wonder if Apple was initially enthusiastic about this approach, then realized it wasn’t applicable to many situations, and rather than abandoning it just decided to live with the inconsistency. There’s certainly no clear, this-is-the-future signal. …"​

"… The standards for what constitutes "good-looking" have plummeted dramatically. …"​

Sure, it may not be the best, but in my book it's still better than the competition.

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
I've been using Macs and Mac OS for almost 20 years now - there's no reason for me to leave the platform. I firmly believe that a (somewhat) radical change in the UI doesn't change the "Mac OS" (yes I didn't say OS X ;)) experience. Even if there are things that I'm not fond of in Yosemite, well that's not enough. All the applications I need work way better on Macs than their Windows counterparts (mostly audio, such as Pro Tools and Digital Performer), and I just feel at home on a Mac. Back when SGI was a big name in the computer world, I learned Unix, when Apple announced OS X I thought it was maybe the greatest and best change that could happen to Apple and its desktop OS.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I'm not trying to start a war here, I'd only like to have a pretty open conversation about the benefits of using mac os instead of windows and yes I don't count Linux because in my opinion sometimes you really really need paid apps and the free alternatives are not up to the task.

I've been trying windows 10 for the last few days and I have to say that I'm pretty impressed, it looks good and microsoft keeps improving it by the day (they need to desperately update the icons ) , the final product may end up being really nice, and I think to my self , what does Apple / Mac Os have over windows? Better security? I love not having to use an antivirus on mac, but is it really that easy to get a virus on windows?

The hardware side has really caught up on windows, the new dell xps 13 looks amazing, that screen easily rivals apple's (LG's) displays, the samsung ultrabooks look quite nice too.

Trackpad and keyboards, yes I think apple is still the king, but again the new windows keyboards and trackpad have really improved.

You can pretty much get every major program on windows, I'm studying to become a designer and I see some of my classmates using the same programs I do without issues.

And don't forget the price, apple products are considerably more expensive.

What about optimization, I think it was a bigger deal before, but if I get a laptop from a big manufacturer the drivers function properly.

Again, I'm not trying to say hey let's all dump apple, I just wanna why do you stick with apple? What makes you say Mac Os is so superior?

This is all personal preference.

You can rather easily buy a brand new Mac, have a Windows USB Install disk, power on the Mac for the first time and wipe the HDD/SDD and install Windows right away without ever seeing OS X.
I have about a dozen Mac Mini's at work that are Windows only machines.
Took them out of the box and installed Win7 on 1st bootup.

It is rather difficult to find a workstation in such a small package. I can mount these directly under a desk and most of my employees don't even know where the computer is.
I've tried the Intel NUC machines and various other small sized computers and they did not last. Most are bad designs and a part overheats and I don't like external power adapters.... I know I'm getting on my own soapbox now but back to it.
Our Medical software is Windows only at the moment and I have some 2007 model Macs, 09,10,11, 12's and a 2014 Mac Mini all on Windows that got put in place and are used 4 days/week 13+hrs/day with zero issues. This alone makes the price of the Mac Mini hardware worth it to me. Low downtime.

I run 95% Windows 7 Professional, 4% Windows 8 Professional and some Windows 10 units in testing which are fairing better than the Win8 machines.

If I ever plan to upgrade, I can easily re-boot and install OS X from the internet and sell the Mini's to fund a newer workstation and at a higher premium than I could with a similar model PC.

At home I'm strictly OS X because that's just me.

Decimotox

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
I'm relatively new to what I'd call "strict" Mac OS use.

Back in mid-2000's, I picked up a used blue iMac on eBay just to play around on. Didn't get too much use out of it, mostly because my Windows laptop was a bit better at the time (not hard to believe on a 4-5 year iMac). I stayed with Windows through college, mostly due to lack of finances to buy a Macbook.

After college, I bought an Intel Core2Duo iMac and that became my main desktop. It was about 5 years old, but it got lots of use for basic tasks and music composition software. It was about this time I also bought an Apple TV, which was seriously the best purchase of my life besides my car, haha.

Back at the beginning of November last year, after using a 4 year old Windows PC that had slowed down DRAMATICALLY since I bought it in late 2011 (probs manufactured in late 2010), I bought a new-in-box late 2012 Mac Mini (6,1) from Best Buy shortly after the newest Mini was introduced. I decided this one was better than the 2014 refresh due to the lack of upgrade-ability. I instantly upgraded to Yosemite upon first boot.

To the point of the thread: each OS has its pros and cons, obviously. I love the simplicity and useability of the Mac OS, specifically OS X. Windows has a bit more expandability and utility, I think, as far as programs go. Mac OS has definitely bridged the gap to the point where there almost isn't one. However, Mac OS works MUCH better on older hardware than Windows does on older hardware. It truly all comes down to what types of features, programs, etc. a person wants and needs. I'd have to say that Mac OS is better overall, due mostly to security and the ecosystem being so well-developed for all of Apple's products. I now currently only use the Mini for my computer. I have an iPhone and, of course, the Apple TV. Still getting use out of my first gen iPad as well. I've basically cut out Windows from my life, even though I still have that laptop from college and it runs (not well, though). Waiting for the day I can afford a rMBP.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I'm not trying to start a war here, I'd only like to have a pretty open conversation about the benefits of using mac os instead of windows and yes I don't count Linux because in my opinion sometimes you really really need paid apps and the free alternatives are not up to the task.

I've been trying windows 10 for the last few days and I have to say that I'm pretty impressed, it looks good and microsoft keeps improving it by the day (they need to desperately update the icons ) , the final product may end up being really nice, and I think to my self , what does Apple / Mac Os have over windows? Better security? I love not having to use an antivirus on mac, but is it really that easy to get a virus on windows?

The hardware side has really caught up on windows, the new dell xps 13 looks amazing, that screen easily rivals apple's (LG's) displays, the samsung ultrabooks look quite nice too.

Trackpad and keyboards, yes I think apple is still the king, but again the new windows keyboards and trackpad have really improved.

You can pretty much get every major program on windows, I'm studying to become a designer and I see some of my classmates using the same programs I do without issues.

And don't forget the price, apple products are considerably more expensive.

What about optimization, I think it was a bigger deal before, but if I get a laptop from a big manufacturer the drivers function properly.

Again, I'm not trying to say hey let's all dump apple, I just wanna why do you stick with apple? What makes you say Mac Os is so superior?

My wife uses a computer out of necessity. She does not think about anything other than her objective which is finding and purchasing clothing for her and the babies in our family. I have spent my life cleaning viruses off of her Windows computer. Replacing hard drives in her Windows computer - countless sleepless nights have I invested in her ability to continue to browse the web.
I finally got tired of it and purchased a Mac put it on her computer table and said you'll start using this and I showed her the basics. It did not take much because she only needs a web browser to do what she wants to do and an email program and they work so similar to windows that there was not much of a learning curve
She has been using her Mac for six months I have not had to do one thing to save her. She has not changed the way she browses the Internet, no she just changed the tool that she used. Mac equals no viruses!
Just this reason alone is why Mac's are superior to Windows computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.