Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

celo48

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
There’s a guy on Ebay with good feedback selling an iPhone 15 Pro. It is financed and tied to his Tmobile account. He says he has to make the payments, otherwise his family lines would be shut down.

He says Tmobile won’t unlock it until it is paid off. I use Tmobile btw.

Is it worth to save $250?

I understand it’s not ideal but what’s the worse it can happen? Can’t I say to Tmobile I bought it from the guy and paid for it. Don’t shut down my iPhone in case he stops making payments.

Any experience buying such a phone?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
There’s a guy on Ebay with good feedback selling an iPhone 15 Pro. It is financed and tied to his Tmobile account. He says he has to make the payments, otherwise his family lines would be shut down.

He says Tmobile won’t unlock it until it is paid off. I use Tmobile btw.

Is it worth to save $250?

I understand it’s not ideal but what’s the worse it can happen? Can’t I say to Tmobile I bought it from the guy and paid for it. Don’t shut down my iPhone in case he stops making payments.

Any experience buying such a phone?
For the record, I am a T-Mobile customer as well (since September 2015) and I visit the T-Mobile subreddit multiple times a day. You can check what I am going to say there if you like.

What is the worst that can happen?

Seller stops paying. Phone is blacklisted for non-payment. Blacklisting is not the same as unlocking. You can have an unlocked phone that is blacklisted and because of that it will not work on any US domestic carrier network.

Some points:

1. You can tell T-Mobile whatever you want to tell them. They will ignore you. The transaction of a device/phone on EIP (payments) is a contract between them and the original seller. You're a third party. They don't give a **** about what you think, say, believe or want. They want their money - from the original buyer.

2. You trust the seller? Based on what? Words that they said to you? Those are just words. Stuff happens, people lie, whatever. The seller has no loyalty to you.

3. In the past, locked T-Mobile phones that were paid off have been sold and T-Mobile customers have been able to put those devices on their account for 40 days of service and then ask for an unlock. It would seem however, that T-Mobile is NOT doing that anymore. They want the original buyer to make the unlock request. Once you leave T-Mobile, they delete your account immediately. So, if the original buyer leaves T-Mobile then there is no account for T-Mob to look up so they can unlock the device. T-Mob is enforcing this now.

4. Based on 3, this is going to mean that YOU ARE DEPENDENT ON THE PERSON YOU ARE BUYING THE PHONE FROM TO UNLOCK YOUR PHONE WHEN IT'S PAID OFF. You can ask, but they won't unlock it for you because you AREN'T the original buyer. Now, that doesn't take into account an automatic unlock after payoff, but you're trusting it will all go smooth.

You're asking. My opinion - VERY BAD IDEA!

Last edited by a moderator:

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Take what @eyoungren said to heart, do not do it. If you buy the device and the seller stops making payments, you’re going to have an expensive paperweight on your hands. It’s not worth saving money when the seller is holding all the cards.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Can’t I say to Tmobile I bought it from the guy and paid for it. Don’t shut down my iPhone in case he stops making payments.
T-Mobile has a contract with the original buyer and that doesn't end because the buyer sold the phone to someone else. This is a guaranteed route for you to end up without your money and without a working phone. If they stop paying at any point in the future– like just outside any sort of time period where you might be able to resolve purchase issues with eBay– the phone will stop working altogether.

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
Walk away, WALK AWAY.

This is almost as bad as buying a used car from someone who still owes money on the car. They stop paying as they no longer have the car. The car gets repossessed and you are stuck with nothing and money gone out of your pocket.

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
WORST THING:

-Seller stops paying; company blacklist it/you complain and say you have it to the company and then get formally charged for having stolen property worth 1K; Grand theft.

Best thing:

Just don't buy it.

Last edited:
Reactions: celo48

Clamjuice65

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2023
Ughh folks gotta stop locking themselves into these carriers finance phones smh lol

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
I locked in to a two year Xfinity contract for my iPhone 15. I do not envision myself leaving Xfinity or getting a new phone for three years. Getting $830.00 for my old phone versus Apple offering me $500 in trade, seemed like a good deal based on what I know now. Xfinity service is costing me $30.00 a month (+tax) for two phones with unlimited talk, text, and data. I don’t think I will change for awhile.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I locked in to a two year Xfinity contract for my iPhone 15. I do not envision myself leaving Xfinity or getting a new phone for three years. Getting $830.00 for my old phone versus Apple offering me $500 in trade, seemed like a good deal based on what I know now. Xfinity service is costing me $30.00 a month (+tax) for two phones with unlimited talk, text, and data. I don’t think I will change for awhile.
My wife and I have had cellphones since 1999. T-Mobile, which we joined in 2015, is the second carrier we've been on. So, now it's 8.5 years I think with T-Mob. In that time we've had (for ourselves) three financed phones, the last of which was paid off in March 2023.

So, I don't see us going anywhere else either. That said, with the Sprint merger T-Mobile started taking on some of the traits I didn't care for with Sprint and with the last phone we had insurance crammed on us. I intend to be buying direct from Apple the next time we upgrade (someone said we could do T-Mobile financing through Apple, but no idea if that's true). which would give me unlocked phones from the beginning.

Still no intent to leave.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Ughh folks gotta stop locking themselves into these carriers finance phones smh lol

There is nothing wrong with financed phones. When you have a family of 4 or more, you easily can end up financially ahead with post paid carrier and financed devices then dealing with de-prioritized pre-paid service and paying full price for each phone. Also, please keep in mind that not every carrier locks their phones, for instance, Verizon phones are only locked for 60 days and then they are fully unlocked.

Reactions: Splitrail

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Also, please keep in mind that not every carrier locks their phones, for instance, Verizon phones are only locked for 60 days and then they are fully unlocked.
I wonder how slippery that slope is going to get over time…

Way back when, in order to use a spectrum license, Verizon had to agree to the FCC's terms of unlocking every LTE capable device out of the box. You bought an LTE phone from Verizon, it came unlocked.

In 2017, I was able to get my old Sprint iPhone 5 unlocked this way when I had the phone replaced (swelling battery). The Apple genius allowed me to choose my carrier and choosing Verizon forced the phone to unlock.

Some time later, Verizon petitioned the FCC to allow them to lock phones for 30 days – to combat third parties from buying phones in bulk and selling them unlocked. The FCC allowed it.

Now, it's 60 days. Where do we go from here?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.