Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
How much did you get it for it?

I'm considering selling my Air if the Air2 is worthy enough of an upgrade. Just painful because it seems as if the IPads have less residual value, more depreciation than iphones in general.

If the Air2 has thinner bezels (sides as well as top and bottom making them lighter), with 2GB of RAM (I'd love to be able to multitask) with more standard storage, then I'm in.

Im a bad gauge for cost because I really practically gave it away to a GF ($275), because I want her to have one and she needed it. Otherwise, I would have kept it.

Still looking forward to a new updated toy with 32 or 64g (in stead of 16g), so I still kinda' win - at a slight cost though. Nothing like getting new electronics!

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Why is there a lack of enthusiasm? IPad Air 2 could be a major upgrade if there's an 8mp camera, Touch ID, Apple pay, slimmer design, retina hd, 2gb ram, split screen multi tasking, gold colour, 32gb base line model. I skipped ipad 4 when I had ipad 3 but this time is different.

Ipad air was mostly all about the new design but inside this will be one of the best.

I have a retina mini, but it's pretty much the same situation...

At this point it seems like the upgrades will be incremental. Meanwhile, it's not like the current iPads fall down in any particular area in a big way. If you don't really need Touch ID (and if you do, why'd you buy an iPad without it?) everything you listed is incremental, in a pretty small way. Well, there's Apple Pay, though most would be much better off with the more portable iPhone 6 for that.

Anyway, if you want to upgrade and have the cash, you don't need to convince us.

----------

Of those things only the 2gb of ram interests me. On the other hand I will feel stupid buying an air 2 when the only reason I am upgrading is to get rid of the safari bug.

Safari tab reloading is a software problem. 2GB might help a little. Or it might not help at all. Generally, changing hardware is a really inefficient and ineffective way to solve software problems.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Why is there a lack of enthusiasm? IPad Air 2 could be a major upgrade if there's an 8mp camera, Touch ID, Apple pay, slimmer design, retina hd, 2gb ram, split screen multi tasking, gold colour, 32gb base line model. I skipped ipad 4 when I had ipad 3 but this time is different.

Ipad air was mostly all about the new design but inside this will be one of the best.

I just bought my Air in the spring. It's fine, no need to replace it. No interest in any incremental updates or design tweaks.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008

No. I'm thinking the iPad Air 3 will be better.

I think for most Apple users then they've settled into an upgrade cycle that looks like this:

Phone - Every 2 years
iPad - Every 3 years
Laptop - Every 4 years
Desktop - Let it die

Upgrading is overrated because annual upgraders (me) aren't any more efficient than people with patience. We upgrade mostly out of luxury (and geekery) because in the end then most users are running the same OS and doing the same things on their devices so there really is no rush.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013

- 8mp Camera: who on earth uses the iPad camera other than than for FaceTime and Skipe?
- Touch ID: who cares.
- Apple pay: Please… the first time I see someone pay for their coffee with an iPad Air I laugh in their face until they leave the store.
- Slimmer design: the Air is as thin as i can handle (unless the new one can be folded as well…)
- Retina HD: I am really not sure that without a larger screen this would add any benefit whatsoever. But I will wait passing judgement until I see one, if it is ever made.
- 2gb RAM: I'd rather prefer Apple to fix IOS. 1gb has never been a problem for me. All of the issue I had initially have been resolved with IOS 7.1 and there is no way I m going to upgrade to IOS 8 until it has been fixed.
- Split screen multitasking: This would be an IOS upgrade which would presumably run on the existing Air too.
- Gold colour: What?
- 32gb base model: I already have 32gb.

So, will I upgrade?
No if this is all there is to it.

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
- 8mp Camera: who on earth uses the iPad camera other than than for FaceTime and Skipe?
- Touch ID: who cares.
- Apple pay: Please… the first time I see someone pay for their coffee with an iPad Air I laugh in their face until they leave the store.
- Slimmer design: the Air is as thin as i can handle (unless the new one can be folded as well…)
- Retina HD: I am really not sure that without a larger screen this would add any benefit whatsoever. But I will wait passing judgement until I see one, if it is ever made.
- 2gb RAM: I'd rather prefer Apple to fix IOS. 1gb has never been a problem for me. All of the issue I had initially have been resolved with IOS 7.1 and there is no way I m going to upgrade to IOS 8 until it has been fixed.
- Split screen multitasking: This would be an IOS upgrade which would presumably run on the existing Air too.
- Gold colour: What?
- 32gb base model: I already have 32gb.

So, will I upgrade?
No if this is all there is to it.

Absolutely agree with every point.
Problem is, I didn't need or want a new phone so where is the next new exciting toy coming from? Bit sad really but I need a reason to buy something new every few months. A slightly lighter, thinner more powerful iPad Air looks good. Nothing wrong with my current Air on 7.1.1 but eBay calls!

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
because the iphone is better than the ipad as a product line.
and given the lack of iphone stock, people are still hysterical about iphones.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
The iPad Air 2 is what the iPad Air should have been. It has touchID slimmer etc. its like when the 5 moved to 5s with the touchID addition.

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
The iPad Air 2 is what the iPad Air should have been. It has touchID slimmer etc. its like when the 5 moved to 5s with the touchID addition.

I wonder what percentage of people that would buy an iPad 2 would ever use touchID. I cannot imagine what use I would have for it. Why would a huge proportion of general non business iPad users have any need for this?

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Safari tab reloading is a software problem. 2GB might help a little. Or it might not help at all. Generally, changing hardware is a really inefficient and ineffective way to solve software problems.

Link?

Sorry. But even if it were ONLY a software issue, more ram would mitigate the problem to a large degree.

xxstatic

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2006

Let's see, I don't use my air to take pictures so there's that, Touch ID? Don't need or want it or pay more for it, Apple pay with an iPad?? That's about as useful as using the camera on it for me...now slimmer...as long as it won't bend...retina hd...I have retina now...how much more do I need?? 2gb ram...well now we have something here...took a while...split screen...don't think this will be happening...gold colored....pass....32gb model...I have a16gb air...it's sufficient enough for me not to need larger storage...so after further review...I think i could skip a gen or two and be ok with my current setup.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
I wonder what percentage of people that would buy an iPad 2 would ever use touchID. I cannot imagine what use I would have for it. Why would a huge proportion of general non business iPad users have any need for this?

Have u ever even tried touchid? Get back to me when you do.

xxstatic

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2006

I don't need a passcode or want Touch ID, I don't have a need to lock my device where I am using it, so would that be a selling point for me....um...no.

----------

Just to add...I am enthusiastic over the release of the new iPad...it means all of us original air owners can look forward to discounted accessories...:D

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014

8 mp camera: I've never taken a photo with my iPad.

Touch ID: Would be nice, but not nice enough for me to upgrade just for it.

Apple Pay: Doubt I'd ever use this on an iPad.

Slimmer Design: The Air is already very slim and I think the iPhone 6 is too slim. If they're going to have a jutting camera on this one like on the phones, that would be a reason for me not to get it.

Retina HD: This would be nice, but also not going to upgrade just for that.

2 GB RAM: Also nice but my Air runs great on 1 GB.

Split-screen multi-tasking: Will likely also come to the Air (although here is where that extra GB of RAM would be most appreciated).

Gold: Irrelevant to my decision making process.

32 GB base line model: They may do what they did with the phone and keep 16 GB as the baseline but drop the 32 GB offering and make 64 GB the next level up. Or they might leave the pricing as is since they already offer four sizes.

I think for most Air owners, the Air is such an exceptional iPad that we're not seeing a huge motivation to upgrade.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I'm a pretty big ipad fan (we have a 4 and an Air at the moment) yet even I will most likely pass on the update. The fact is these are expensive and the updates are getting very incremental.

I expect to see
- updated processor (duh)
- incremental camera update (I'd appreciate the better low light performance for video calls which we do every day)
- touchid (great, but less necessary on a ipad until they include user accounts)
- slimmer
- laminated screen of same resolution
- 2gb ram (probably, would not be too surprised if not)
- apple pay (primarily for business use to accept payments, not to make them)
- split screen multitask (if this comes, I'd be surprised if the air did not get it too)

I'll be very surprised to see even this full list let alone anything more.

ApplePhy

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2013
Im a bad gauge for cost because I really practically gave it away to a GF ($275), because I want her to have one and she needed it. Otherwise, I would have kept it.

Still looking forward to a new updated toy with 32 or 64g (in stead of 16g), so I still kinda' win - at a slight cost though. Nothing like getting new electronics!

I think $275 is an excellent price for an Air 16GB....to a girlfriend no less.

Checked Gazelle and my Air 32GB WIFI is worth $280

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007

If all of these things you mention come to pass, it will not generate any excitement for me. The tablet market is saturated big time. Until such time as Apple engineers figure out how make iPad on par with the very latest quadcore xenon processors... I seriously don't believe that increasing ram by 1 and fitting an A8 processor will enable it to do anything more than what the current generation already can do. We use iPad in open heart surgery suites, radiology, labor and delivery, and CVL. It works wonders. But I would love to see an iPad Pro model on par with the Mac Pro. Obviously none of us even know if tablets will be the future of computing. There may be something else yet to be invented.

Last edited:

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't touch ID allow you to avoid typing in your itunes password when making purchases (or just downloading) via the app store? If that is the case I imagine usage will be pretty high...

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
No. I'm thinking the iPad Air 3 will be better.

I think for most Apple users then they've settled into an upgrade cycle that looks like this:

Phone - Every 2 years
iPad - Every 3 years
Laptop - Every 4 years
Desktop - Let it die

Upgrading is overrated because annual upgraders (me) aren't any more efficient than people with patience. We upgrade mostly out of luxury (and geekery) because in the end then most users are running the same OS and doing the same things on their devices so there really is no rush.

Funny you say that, I was just thinking the iPad Air 4 will be even better than the 3. Weird.

----------

I'm a pretty big ipad fan (we have a 4 and an Air at the moment) yet even I will most likely pass on the update. The fact is these are expensive and the updates are getting very incremental.

I expect to see
- updated processor (duh)
- incremental camera update (I'd appreciate the better low light performance for video calls which we do every day)
- touchid (great, but less necessary on a ipad until they include user accounts)
- slimmer
- laminated screen of same resolution
- 2gb ram (probably, would not be too surprised if not)
- apple pay (primarily for business use to accept payments, not to make them)
- split screen multitask (if this comes, I'd be surprised if the air did not get it too)

I'll be very surprised to see even this full list let alone anything more.

I agree with the multi tasking, if it comes out it will be for all x64 bit cpus at least.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
I do wait for iPad Air 2 - my plan is to buy it as my main/only device - selling macbook and living in post pc era:)

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK

No, I have never tried touchID. Please let me know what the benefits are for an average consumer.
It may be one of the big selling points if the new Air and I admit the benefits may not be obvious to someone like myself. I can see the point of all the other possible updates but touchID leaves me cold.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
No, I have never tried touchID. Please let me know what the benefits are for an average consumer.
It may be one of the big selling points if the new Air and I admit the benefits may not be obvious to someone like myself. I can see the point of all the other possible updates but touchID leaves me cold.

For me, the benefits are clearer with the phone, which goes everywhere with me and is important to keep locked. With TouchID you can have the device locked immediately but you avoid the slide to unlock/enter your passcode game every time you pull it out. It's infinitely more convenient as your finger tends to center on the home button as you pull it out of your pocket and the device is unlocked before you even look at it.

Basically it adds a tremendous amount of security with no additional hassle. I'll be glad to have it on the iPad as well. Also, as the list of apps that support it grows, it will bring additional security and convenience. For me I look forward to being able to log into my password manager with it as currently it relies on facial recognition which is slow and requires a minimum lighting level.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.