Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ricky1989

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
Not sure if some of us only upgrade to the newer mac solely because to the touchbar. This might not be the brightest idea, given that Apple might very much release a magic keyboard with touchbar as they update the iMac in the coming WWDC or sooner. By then touchbar would if more mature (hypothetically) and more approachable for most of us.

I urge those who are tempted to try out the touchbar just hold it off for couple of months and grab a TB magic keyboard.

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
You're really asking this to this forum? There are people who are willing to throw down $200-300 for a book about Apple products, and are willing to accept all the faults of the new MacBook Pro's (I can list them all if you'd like) because MUH SOFTWARE.

ricky1989

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
You're really asking this to this forum? There are people who are willing to throw down $200-300 for a book about Apple products, and are willing to accept all the faults of the new MacBook Pro's (I can list them all if you'd like) because MUH SOFTWARE.

Just curious where does sanity goes when it comes to new Apple product. Each day passes Steve Jobs's magic wears away like morphine, people will wake up eventually and Apple will simply becomes another HP.

Reactions: SteveJobzniak

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Just curious where does sanity goes when it comes to new Apple product. Each day passes Steve Jobs's magic wears away like morphine, people will wake up eventually and Apple will simply becomes another HP.

I don't know if people are rushing out to get it just because of the touchbar? There are a number of upgrades, and if you need an upgraded computer, then yeah?

ricky1989

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
I think the hate towards the Touch Bar is silly and based on unfounded fears. Without a doubt, it is better than what we had before. Why sit here and complain about something you've never used and know nothing about?

Customizability is going to be the key, whether it would be locked down for standard key or not is going to affect users who are master of shortcut keys.

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016

More and more people are realizing that Apple is not the company that it used to be.

1) MacBooks with one port and a horrible keyboard
2) One of the ugliest battery cases
3) Charging an Apple pencil like that? Really?
4) Charging an Apple Mouse like that? Really?
5) A $200 book of just photos? No memorable texts? Oh, and making it BIGGER is an extra $100? LOL.
6) (Insert all the faults of the MacBook Pro's)
7) Failures of all their products (Touch disease, dGPU problems with MBP's and Mac Pro's, etc.)
8) Lack of updates for the Mac Pro's

And then you have Microsoft, which is really trying to improve its company.

I miss the Apple that brought innovation and excitement into things like the MacBook Air and the iPod Touch. But with how it is now? Forget it. I really hope it just dies out soon.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I went with the base model 256 13." If Apple offered a model with just the Touch ID, I would have probably purchased it. While the touchbar may prove useful to several here, I don't think it would have been in my case, given the lack of development right now. That might change as it matures.

I think a lot of people are holding off on the touchbar for that reason, not to mention the lingering questions about battery life.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
I think the hate towards the Touch Bar is silly and based on unfounded fears. Without a doubt, it is better than what we had before. Why sit here and complain about something you've never used and know nothing about?

I don't think "without a doubt" is defensible here; clearly, a lot of people preferred the function keys. If I absolutely had to choose one or the other, I'd take function keys. I wouldn't mind having both, but the touch bar is not as useful to me in my actual daily life as the keys it's replacing were.

ricky1989

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
More and more people are realizing that Apple is not the company that it used to be.

5) A $200 book of just photos? No memorable texts? Oh, and making it BIGGER is an extra $100? LOL.
7) Failures of all their products (Touch disease, dGPU problems with MBP's and Mac Pro's, etc.)

I miss the Apple that brought innovation and excitement into things like the MacBook Air and the iPod Touch. But with how it is now? Forget it. I really hope it just dies out soon.

In a parallel universe where Steve Jobs is still alive, humans are readying to settle on Mars because of advancement SJ drives.

The lack of key travel is definitely going to take a long time to get use to.

Reactions: jerryk

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008

Thanks for your productive contribution. It's folks like you that make this place great. o_O

Reactions: Swisspo and aevan

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
Thanks for your productive contribution. It's folks like you that make this place great. o_O

Apple has already cut off its attempts to make itself great again, so as a customer, I look elsewhere in places where I think other companies do great. I have a MacBook Air, an Apple Watch, and an iPhone 7+ because I think this company still excels in the areas of: 1) ultra portable computers with amazing battery lives, 2) an actually decent smart watch, and 3) a good phone.

But a power-user laptop or desktop? Forget it.

Reactions: ricky1989

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Customizability is going to be the key, whether it would be locked down for standard key or not is going to affect users who are master of shortcut keys.

I'm pretty sure most people will adapt and people will look back on these fears and chuckle.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
I don't think "without a doubt" is defensible here; clearly, a lot of people preferred the function keys. If I absolutely had to choose one or the other, I'd take function keys. I wouldn't mind having both, but the touch bar is not as useful to me in my actual daily life as the keys it's replacing were.

Your same Fn keys are still there. And so is an exact replica of the existing keys that were there too. But now it's customizable by developers to fit a very wide array of uses.

I know you disagree with me, but I assure you that a year from now, everyone is going to love this thing.

Reactions: chiamac and chabig

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
I'm pretty sure most people will adapt and people will look back on these fears and chuckle.

Ahh, yes, the way we're all laughing about the loss of the anti-glare displays, or the loss of Ethernet, and we don't have people who are still bothered by those?

Yeah, "most" people will probably be fine. I suspect "most" people would also be fine if Apple had just capped processor speed at 2.2GHz to extend battery life, and "most" people would be fine with half the battery life, and "most" people would, in fact, be happy with Windows, too.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
i think apple is feeling the pressure from competition in an environment where their growth is slowing. They don't have time to perfect products anymore. They're balancing between "WHY HASN'T APPLE UPDATED THEIR STUFF" to "innovation is dead at apple" to "man this new product sucks, why didn't they do this instead"

you tell me can they please everybody?

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
@kevinkyoo Totally on your side. Just be objective and real about the new products are what makes a sane customer.

I think the worst part of all of this is that the solutions are so simple.

Give me the same priced $1000 base MacBook Air 13" with an upgraded processor, a better or same battery life of 13 hours, and an upgraded 1080p screen. Also replace the TB2 port with a TB3 one. Boom! Would've sold like hot cakes.

Reactions: manupopoti

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Your same Fn keys are still there. And so is an exact replica of the existing keys that were there too. But now it's customizable by developers to fit a very wide array of uses.

I know you disagree with me, but I assure you that a year from now, everyone is going to love this thing.

That is the problem... it's only customizable by developers. Why? Why can't users customize it like F keys? Apple keeps playing this dangerous game unleshing new features like 3D touch and TB that are developer dependent and go nowhere because most developers have no incentive to take the time and incorporate into their products. Then there are the cloud-based devs like MS and Adobe. Do you think they will update the stand-alone versions? Doubt it. Again, user screwed.

PaulWog

Suspended
Jun 28, 2011
I'm not rushing for one. If they offered the same specc'd Macbook as the base touchbar, but without the touchbar, for $200 (Canadian) less, I would go for the non-touchbar.

I value the touchbar at $100-$150 (Canadian), and Apple is valuing it at $200-$250 (Canadian).

The problem with being an "innovator" and bringing in USB-C and touchbar, is that you can't make the consumer pay EXTRA for those features. You can charge the customer the increased cost of having those features, but Apple is charging as if everyone was begging for these changes.

Apple is too big to fail. They have a very inelastic demand base. That's what they're catering to... but I can't see them expanding their profit margins much by enticing new customers anytime soon.

ricky1989

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009

TB is a good feature but switching everything to touch-screen has its pitfalls. Imagine one day Apple decided to take away the keyboard and give you two slab of screen with on-screen keyboard only, by then without a doubt I will jump ship immediately. As Steve Jobs once said "Touch is one of our most intuitive nature and the tools we rely on the most.". Unlike physical keys, touch screens actually require the addition of visual input as we will need to see if before we could strike the correct key. Wouldn't it be counter-intuitive if we blindly following the trend in making everything touch-based?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.