Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should there be just one tone to indicate MagSafe mounting

• Total voters

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
iPhone 15 Pro and iOS 17.x

Why does the phone make two distinct tones when mounting to a MagSafe charger? One tone (thud) to indicate "MagSafe charging" followed immediately by the original tone (thwang) to indicate "charging".

This seems very redundant since there's never an instance of MagSafe mounting without charging. MagSafe itself is a kind of charging, so shouldn't there just be one tone to indicate charging whether it's MagSafe or not?

I don't even care which tone, but it sounds really weird to get two completely different kinds of tones following each other.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
Maybe to differentiate from a regular Qi charger. I think it makes that initial tone with any official Apple MagSafe thing, like the wallet or a case.

I agree though, it’s not needed. Especially as you mentioned - they don’t even flow nicely together.

Reactions: sparky672

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
I think it makes that initial tone with any official Apple MagSafe thing, like the wallet or a case.

I’m not sure about the wallet or case. But I tried mounting with the MagSafe charging puck unplugged and there were no tones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.