Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CLOD-HOPPER

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015
great that you figured that out! it's often that one little thing that throws a wrench into everything else...

Just for the record (and, perhaps, to help others, who may have trashed Deskovery), I found out, later, that there was an update to Deskovery (which is Deskovery 3), that does not cause Photoshop to crash.
Cl. Hop.

Botu

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2017
Anywhere I Roam
Just for the record (and, perhaps, to help others, who may have trashed Deskovery), I found out, later, that there was an update to Deskovery (which is Deskovery 3), that does not cause Photoshop to crash.
Cl. Hop.

I have your exact same problem, and I don't have Deskovery installed. What do I do now? :(

CLOD-HOPPER

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015
I have your exact same problem, and I don't have Deskovery installed. What do I do now? :(

Botu, the problem is not there for me, now (as I believe was made clear, above). If you do have the problem, I would not blame Sierra for it, or even Photoshop. It may be something else on your computer that's doing it. Why not try creating a new user account (call it App Tester, or something), and run Photoshop in that? If it works, even for a while, I would bet that something on your computer is causing the trouble. To find out what that may be, open your apps in this user account, one at a time, with Photoshop running, and wait until the trouble shows up. The odds are that you will have found the culprit.
I'm no expert, but I do know that this is the time-honoured method for finding what causes apps to malfunction or crash, and it worked for me. Good luck!
C.H.

Last edited:

Botu

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2017
Anywhere I Roam
Botu, the problem is not there for me, now (as I believe was made clear, above). If you do have the problem, I would not blame Sierra for it, or even Photoshop. It may be something else on your computer that's doing it. Why not try creating a new user account (call it App Tester, or something), and run Photoshop in that? It it works, even for a while, I would bet that something on your computer is causing the trouble. To find out what that may be, open your apps in this user account, one at a time, with Photoshop running, and wait until the trouble shows up. The odds are that you will have found the culprit.
I'm no expert, but I do know that this is the time-honoured method for finding what causes apps to malfunction or crash, and it worked for me. Good luck!
C.H.
Thanks Clod_Hopper! Will give that a try right away. Keeping my fingers crossed. Otherwise this whole thing is driving me insane. Such expensive hardware and software are not supposed to malfunction this way.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2211774

I find the first response to be particularly relevant

And I quote-

There is an immediate workaround that should get the installer going:

1. Right-click (or Control-click) the installer and choose Show Package Contents.
  2. In the Install window that opens in the Finder, go to the Contents/MacOS folder, and in there, double-click Install. That will open the Terminal application, some lines of code will automatically run, and the actual Installer should successfully launch.

Did this help anyone? posted a while ago,

CLOD-HOPPER

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015
Thanks Clod_Hopper! Will give that a try right away. Keeping my fingers crossed. Otherwise this whole thing is driving me insane. Such expensive hardware and software are not supposed to malfunction this way.

It seemed that my problem would never be solved. However, there is a cause for every problem, so don't give up. If you cure the problem, do let us know.
C.H.

Botu

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2017
Anywhere I Roam
A big thanks to you C.H. Your approach is correct. In my case it was the (believe it or not) native Notes app. Simultaneously opening both would hang PS immediately. I have switched to Evernote. And PS has not crashed since. However gathering from various forums, upgrading to CC seems to have taken care of all such issues. Adobe apparently have stopped updating CS6 and hence with each OS version upgrade there could be new issues which might force PS6 or older Adobe apps to crash or hang. Since then I have downloaded and started using a trial version of PS CC and everything seems to be buttery smooth. I do have a good mind to switch to CC. Huge problem is they only let you use it on one machine. My new small office will need three and means I will need to buy 3 different subscriptions. Why do they have to make all this so complicated? Anyways, for CS6 issues CLOD-HOPPER's is the only real, working solution out there.

CLOD-HOPPER

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015
A big thanks to you C.H. Your approach is correct. In my case it was the (believe it or not) native Notes app. Simultaneously opening both would hang PS immediately. I have switched to Evernote. And PS has not crashed since. However gathering from various forums, upgrading to CC seems to have taken care of all such issues. Adobe apparently have stopped updating CS6 and hence with each OS version upgrade there could be new issues which might force PS6 or older Adobe apps to crash or hang. Since then I have downloaded and started using a trial version of PS CC and everything seems to be buttery smooth. I do have a good mind to switch to CC. Huge problem is they only let you use it on one machine. My new small office will need three and means I will need to buy 3 different subscriptions. Why do they have to make all this so complicated? Anyways, for CS6 issues CLOD-HOPPER's is the only real, working solution out there.

I'm very glad to read your report, Botu, and thanks for telling us what happened. With regard to Photoshop CS6 and further upgrades to Mac OSX, I suppose we will have to keep fingers crossed. I certainly could not afford even one subscription for CC — let alone three! So, I shall be stuck with CS6. If that ever fails, I should need to learn how to use Gimp (free).
C.H.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I'm very glad to read your report, Botu, and thanks for telling us what happened. With regard to Photoshop CS6 and further upgrades to Mac OSX, I suppose we will have to keep fingers crossed. I certainly could not afford even one subscription for CC — let alone three! So, I shall be stuck with CS6. If that ever fails, I should need to learn how to use Gimp (free).
C.H.

altho most of my collabs use photoshop, i switched to affinity photo almost 2 years ago, and love it. easy to adapt to, can open psd files... worth at least checking out. https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/

CLOD-HOPPER

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015
altho most of my collabs use photoshop, i switched to affinity photo almost 2 years ago, and love it. easy to adapt to, can open psd files... worth at least checking out. https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/

That's a very useful tip, fisherking. However, unfortunately for me, Affinityserif does not do 3D (I don't think it does, anyway). Come to think of it, I don't know whether Gimp does 3D, either. Thanks for the tip, though. I had not heard of it.
C.H.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.