Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lifeguard

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
well is there tech behind? I can do it on my network.

Its not that the Tech is behind. Verizon uses a CDMA network. CDMA does not allow voice and data at the same time. If the next iPhone goes 4g (true 4g not that at&t version) then it will not be an issue

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I turn iMessage off when I switch my sim into my Lumia 710 else I'd receive iMessages to a phone I don't have on me!

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
It's not that Verizon doesn't let you it is a limitation of the Technology

It's a phone limitation. The iPhone doesn't have a separate LTE radio or SVDO on the CDMA side.

Its not that the Tech is behind. Verizon uses a CDMA network. CDMA does not allow voice and data at the same time. If the next iPhone goes 4g (true 4g not that at&t version) then it will not be an issue

Bull$4*t. The Thunderbolt and Rezound do simultaneous on 3G using SVDO. The iPhone doesn't support SVDO.

In practice, iMessage is much better in low signal areas, because those are usually low down in buildings, where you're bathed in glorious, super-fast wifi, which iMessage runs on. However, if you don't have wifi access, then yes, that's true.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
My family plan with 4 phones has unlimited texts. My mom is the only one with an iPhone 200meg data plan. We send a lot of pictures back and fourth so we are testing to see how much data it uses. However AT&T has no other messaging plans so really it doesn't matter. I'm not gonna give up unlimited even though the two of us an use iMessage. Not everyone has an iPhone. Most people I know don't.

really? most people i know do.

how old are you? i've noticed a lot of older guys still use old phones, and when I'm talking older I'm talking early 40s-50,

kind of funny cuz my dad uses smart phones, iPads, and he's 50, but then again he's a programmer.

lifeguard

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
Bull$4*t. The Thunderbolt and Rezound do simultaneous on 3G using SVDO. The iPhone doesn't support SVDO.

Well Smart Guy that network is called the CDMA/1X Network. HOWEVER the CDMA Network and any phone that runs on a CDMA Network is limited to Voice OR Data not both at the same time. Yes the Verizon iPhone 4/4s doesn't support SVDO but was not what we were talking about. If your gonna be a smart ass at least get your facts right.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
bc everyone i know has unlimited texting. when everyone still pays for texting, imessage serves no point. plus when my sister moved overseas we tried imessage and it would get confused and send as a text sometimes resulting in big phone bill. it's not consistent.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Well Smart Guy that network is called the CDMA/1X Network. HOWEVER the CDMA Network and any phone that runs on a CDMA Network is limited to Voice OR Data not both at the same time. Yes the Verizon iPhone 4/4s doesn't support SVDO but was not what we were talking about. If your gonna be a smart ass at least get your facts right.

Let's get real here. Verizon doesn't have two CDMA networks. It's technically called CDMA 2000 1xRTT, but it's often referred to as CDMA or CDMA 1x. SVDO is very relevant, since that's what the iPhone is missing. SVDO basically sets up two separate radios that work at the same time. It looks like sort of a kludgy hack, as opposed to HSPA+, which was built for both at the same time, or LTE, which is data-only, but can handle IP voice or text traffic.

bc everyone i know has unlimited texting. when everyone still pays for texting, imessage serves no point. plus when my sister moved overseas we tried imessage and it would get confused and send as a text sometimes resulting in big phone bill. it's not consistent.

You'd have to turn text off in that case.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008

Of course it serves a point.. actually quite a few. It works better than regular texting (at least on AT&T), works internationally at no charge (just turn off the option to Send as Text Message if iMessage fails) and it gives you Delivery status AND Read Receipts.
It stays ON for me even though I have unlimited messaging because it's fantastic for quick overseas communication.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
For now I find it to be unreliable. I'll send an iMessage and then hear my phone make the "swoosh" sound 5 minutes later. If it's a quick conversation it gets very confusing after a few minutes because messages are sending and receiving out of order because of lag on some of them. If everyone I know had an iPhone and I could theoretically get rid of my texting plan then it would be worth it to deal with the lack or reliability. But for now since I am sending texts to non-iPhones it isn't worth it to have on. Maybe some day.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I think the issues are few and far between. I use it, and I know a few people who are, and I've never heard about any issues with it.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Of course it serves a point.. actually quite a few. It works better than regular texting (at least on AT&T), works internationally at no charge (just turn off the option to Send as Text Message if iMessage fails) and it gives you Delivery status AND Read Receipts.
It stays ON for me even though I have unlimited messaging because it's fantastic for quick overseas communication.

I use viber for that. mms, text, and free voip calls as well. I don't want to be messing with settings constantly...that's why iMessage was supposedly made so it's integrated within the texting...but it doesn't really work 100% of the time. I'd rather have texting separate and viber messages separate.

http://viber.com/

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I use viber for that. mms, text, and free voip calls as well. I don't want to be messing with settings constantly...that's why iMessage was supposedly made so it's integrated within the texting...but it doesn't really work 100% of the time. I'd rather have texting separate and viber messages separate.

http://viber.com/

That looks like a cool app, but personally I don't want to have to go thru any extra steps. I just want quick and easy messaging, and iMessage does it for me perfectly. I never have to mess with settings - I have the "SMS on iMessage fail" turned off and it works great. People with non-iPhones get regular sms without me having to do any messing around with Settings.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Advantage: AT&T.

You receive iMessages while on a phone call.

This is a huge advantage that I enjoy daily. It makes communications so much faster & efficient. For business & personal this alone is a big reason to have an AT&T iPhone.

BBM was such a great feature that only RIM had till Apple finally copied it. Here's an excellent example of why copying is not a bad idea.

It seemed to take Apple forever, but finally it's here.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
This is a huge advantage that I enjoy daily. It makes communications so much faster & efficient. For business & personal this alone is a big reason to have an AT&T iPhone.

BBM was such a great feature that only RIM had till Apple finally copied it. Here's an excellent example of why copying is not a bad idea.

It seemed to take Apple forever, but finally it's here.

What would really have been disruptive though is if they released iMessage clients for Android and BB.

Stunnaman518

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
I use both. It's. Nice when I am somewhere where text wont work like a cave, outerspace, or (EDIT) from a plane. We have no cell coverage, but have data (wifi). I can text the wife (or other iMessengers) from 45,000. It's not just for sh:ts and giggles. I use it to tell the family if I am delayed, early etc. I would never turn it off. It's a huge plus for me.

iPhone 4s AT&T.

I have the IPhone 5 for AT&T living in upstate New York running on 4G and I don't have a single problem with it at all. I absolutely love it !!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.