Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Some democrats around here probably would say it sure beats naming a kid George Bush

apsterling

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
I think it's perfectly fine. Honestly, it's just a name. It's a statement, and I'm sure the kid doesn't mind.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
The parents look like trailer trash (more like psychos), so I wouldn't expect any lawsuits from the kids parents as Jewish private schools kick his ass out -- or that just might be the plan.

Must be great introducing all the kids to people ... JoyceLynn Aryan Nation, Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie, and little Adolph Hitler.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
When I eventually have kids and I am choosing a name, criterion number 1 is
"Will this name get my kid beaten up at school?", if so then it's off the list.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
There is a generation of people from central europe that would have happily named their children that at one time.

The parents are short-sighted and mean but ultimately I suppose its their decision. Indeed the whole first name of Adolf has been tainted for some time and probably will be for a long time to come.

You don't find many men named Herod even in this day and age, but there are a few out there.

apsterling

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
Why can't people be tolerant. Obviously it's not the most tasteful name, but it could be far worse.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
They're either racists, stupid or being deliberately inflammatory to garner media attention and worldwide internet infamy....

I favour the latter with a big helping of the other two options.

They're not after tolerance, they're after attention. If we all shut up about it it will go away.

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
The parents look like trailer trash (more like psychos), so I wouldn't expect any lawsuits from the kids parents as Jewish private schools kick his ass out -- or that just might be the plan.

Must be great introducing all the kids to people ... JoyceLynn Aryan Nation, Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie, and little Adolph Hitler.

If only we could see more of the neck tattoo the guy in the photo has. Real winners, those folks.

swiftaw said:
When I eventually have kids and I am choosing a name, criterion number 1 is
"Will this name get my kid beaten up at school?", if so then it's off the list.
Speaking as someone who went through childhood so traumatized, I can only say I wish more parents thought as such. Instead we have unthinking parents deciding that it'll be all cute and interesting to give their kids a weird name without giving a second thought to what that kid will have to go through.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Off-topic, but a friend of mine had a child in her kindergarten class that had the name "********" (pronounced "SHEH—THEED"). She said something to the parents about the name being unusual, and the father said they did that on purpose because they thought it was funny.

Poor child.

Take a trip to Europe. Visit Germany and Poland. Learn what they meant by "arbeit macht frei". Some of those places, the camps, are still there. Old, and cold, and quiet. Stand next to the thick concrete walls, on the lush green grass.

Then come back and tell me giving a child that name is a great idea.

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
I knew a chinese kid in high school named Lucifer. I thought it was funny at the time. I think Adolf Hitler is just about the worst name you could have, aside from obvious swear words.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
I have no problem naming the kid "Adolph" but to deliberately give him the name "Adolph Hitler" goes beyond "making a statement" and just sets yourself and your kid up for harassment.

Stupid, stupid, stupid...

MrM

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
California
Ha. That kid is going to be changing their name once "Adolf" turns 18.

Random story time. My sixth grade teachers last name was Adolf. I called him both Gay and Hitler and got suspended for a week. True Story.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
You don't find many men named Herod even in this day and age, but there are a few out there.
I think that's more to do with it just being old.
Why can't people be tolerant. Obviously it's not the most tasteful name, but it could be far worse.
Yeah, it could be like his sister's: "JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell".
She said something to the parents about the name being unusual, and the father said they did that on purpose because they thought it was funny.
If I ever become a father (we're all screwed if I do, I think I'll stick with being an uncle for a while ;)), I could potentially give my kid the initials AFK (well, so could my brother). I thought that was bad...
I knew a chinese kid in high school named Lucifer. I thought it was funny at the time. I think Adolf Hitler is just about the worst name you could have, aside from obvious swear words.

I'd rather be named F*** Face than Adolf Hitler.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.