Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunkre

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2004
Does anyone make a wide format 17" LCD display? I LOVE the extra room for pallets on the 20", but I don't have a child to sell to cover the cost.

Thanks.

Luckster

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2001
Texas
I have certainly seen wide format 17" displays on the market, but most are designed to support signals from the computer as well as from TV. As a result, they tend to be a bit more expensive and have lower resolution than their 4:3 counterparts. If you are still interested, I have seen widescreen versions from Sharp, Viewsonic, Phillips and even (gasp!) Dell. When dealing with LCD displays, though, remember that quality does vary between the manufacturers. Also, be sure to consider how you are going to connect this new display to your computer. The picture will be much sharper If you have a digital connection than if you use the analog VGA port. If you have a newer mac (within say the last 3 years), then you probably have ADC (a proprietary digital connection) and VGA ports. You can easily convert from ADC to DVI with an attachment, but it's an added expense (not major though).

I would try CNET for buying advice and to screen products. With a display, though, it is probably useful to go to a store (if they have the screen you are interested in) and look at the picture first.

Andrew

bunkre

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2004
thanks

yeah, i would hopefully be using it with the DVI on a new PB, if i can help it. but until that comes true, i'll be using it with the DVI on my G4.

thanks for the input!

oh, that reminds me... i have a barely used 17" Apple Studio Display, the later clear bubble CRT one, that I cannot use. anyone want to buy it on the cheap? I'd hate to put it on eBay if a fellow mac-head here could use one. e-mail me if interested: scott@bunkre.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.