Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
alright something kinda wierd/spooky happened to me today. i had sent my snowboard in to a shop to get waxed and tuned (for 5 bucks heck yea) and as i was walking out of the store, these two guys in a large van kinda yelled at me as they were driving. they then stopped where i was trying to get in my car and they were like you want a home theater? i was like no i dont need one

they responded with well no one needs one but you want one right? the dude runs out of his van and shakes my hand wanting me to go look at this "theater"

i was like no im not interested and get in my car and drive away.

i got to thinking these dudes may have tried to rob me or something as they werent from any company, drove in a standard big van (like a chevy safarai or something)

this pisses me off as im not a small guy (511 165 and feel i can hold my own against pretty much anybody) but definitly spooked me since i was caught off guard.

what are your thoughts, am i just paranoid or what

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Had that happen once, but I didn't think they were trying to rob me. I did, however, think that they had just robbed someone's house and were trying to sell the goods.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Maybe they had a stolen home theater setup in the van, and they were trying to get rid of it quickly?

edit: ooh beat me.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Don't be worried, this has happened to tons of people I know. Other family members have been asked to buy home theaters out of vans and so on, too. Most likely the thing was stolen anyway.

Kevin

Edit: Beat TWICE. I take too long to type

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Happened to me before.

I'm pretty tough (or so I like to think so), so I took a look.

A bunch of off-brand stereo equipment. Cheap.

I said, yeah, no thanks. A friend of mine... spent $200. :rolleyes:

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
winner: Aperture.
second: OutThere
third:The Answer
Show:dukebound85

what'd they win Bob?

Why, a slightly used Home Theater with just a few hastilly sliced wires here and there Jim!

Maybe I should check Fark.com and see how long it's been since this' happened to an off-duty cop?;)

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
Happened last week to me. An American guy in a van stopped and said "Dude, you want two 1000W speakers for free?", I didn't want to risk receiving stolen goods, so I said no and he got all pissy and drove off.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Guys like these are all over Chicago - one of three options.

1. Usually it's off-brand stuff at inflated prices
2. They show you a box filled with name brand top-notch stuff and then sell you a box with bricks in it
3. They are fencing stolen goods.

Usually it's #1 or 2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.