Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Just bought a Brother HL-2270DW laser WiFi printer. I have a Mac Pro and an Airport Extreme. I followed the instructions but when I unplug the USB cable my Mac Pro says the printer is offline. If I plug the cable back in it works fine. I know the printer is setup and works on my WiFi because I can print from my iPad and iPhone. Even though my Mac Pro is connected to my Airport does it have to be on WiFi also?

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
It doesn't have to be on wi-fi, just the same basic network. I would totally uninstall the printer since it seems to be setup under USB and not as a network device and just re-install totally. Do not connect it via usb at all or else your Mac will assume thats how you want it. You should't need to make a physical connection at all. How you setup the printer initially matters big time.

The most you should have to do is find the IP address that is assigned to your printer (you can print out a config sheet to get that). Honestly though just use the included software though and choose the network option when you are setting it up.

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
It doesn't have to be on wi-fi, just the same basic network. I would totally uninstall the printer since it seems to be setup under USB and not as a network device and just re-install totally. Do not connect it via usb at all or else your Mac will assume thats how you want it. You should't need to make a physical connection at all. How you setup the printer initially matters big time.

The most you should have to do is find the IP address that is assigned to your printer (you can print out a config sheet to get that). Honestly though just use the included software though and choose the network option when you are setting it up.

I have tried total un-install and printer factory resets several times. Also there is no way (instructions or I see) to set the printer up on WiFi without USB connecting/running setup software. For instance how would I selet the correct WiFi (there are several around me) and then how would I input my WiFi password? The printer has no way to input this (no touch LCD screen).

Last edited:

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I don't understand. Is the printer on your network or is is not? You shouldn't need to ever plug it in your computer to do this. It should have it's own interface on the printer.

The brother software I am familiar with will allow you to set up a network printer (which is what you want to do) without connecting it physically connecting it to your computer. You should never need to directly connect it via USB unless you want to print that way.

You many need to do it manually via an IP address. You may need to print a config sheet first. But if your printer is not connected to your Wi-fi network you need to do that first and you may need to check your manual to to that.

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I don't understand. Is the printer on your network or is is not? You shouldn't need to ever plug it in your computer to do this. It should have it's own interface on the printer.

The brother software I am familiar with will allow you to set up a network printer (which is what you want to do) without connecting it physically connecting it to your computer. You should never need to directly connect it via USB unless you want to print that way.

You many need to do it manually via an IP address. You may need to print a config sheet first. But if your printer is not connected to your Wi-fi network you need to do that first and you may need to check your manual to to that.

If I factory reset the printer there is NO way to get it on WiFi without connecting it to my Mac. Here is the complete interface and control panel (one button) on the printer. How can you enter WiFi and pasword info with one button?

IMG_1067.jpg

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Just bought a Brother HL-2270DW laser WiFi printer. I have a Mac Pro and an Airport Extreme. I followed the instructions but when I unplug the USB cable my Mac Pro says the printer is offline. If I plug the cable back in it works fine. I know the printer is setup and works on my WiFi because I can print from my iPad and iPhone. Even though my Mac Pro is connected to my Airport does it have to be on WiFi also?

Look at this thread. I think you can ignore everything except for the "thing" that Brother sent the poster, and then later the post that links to the "help" that Brother tech support offered.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4225050?start=0&tstart=0

Luck

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Look at this thread. I think you can ignore everything except for the "thing" that Brother sent the poster, and then later the post that links to the "help" that Brother tech support offered.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4225050?start=0&tstart=0

Luck

Thanks, the first part 'thing" was useless to me since I was past installing but the second "help" did it. I needed to delete the driver and then reinstall as a CUPS. It is now working from my Mac Pro on WiFi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.