Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Logan to launch free, upgraded paid services for wireless Net access

By Peter J. Howe, Globe Staff *|* June 23, 2004

Logan International Airport will be hot today -- not just with temperatures forecast to be above 80, but with a new web of wireless Internet access hot spots blanketing all four terminals.

After more than a month of testing, Logan officials are launching a new two-tier WiFi service that will give travelers free access to flight schedules, airport information, and news headlines at LoganWiFi.com.

Unlimited access to the Internet will cost $7.95 a day; no hourly rate is offered.

The $2 million-plus telecommunications network that's powering the new WiFi access in terminals B, C, and D -- the international terminal, E, began offering WiFi in February -- will also support secure private wireless access for airlines, officials at the Boston airport, and State Police. They can use the network for everything from gaining access to law-enforcement databases to processing baggage.

As WiFi becomes an increasingly common -- but still pricey -- amenity for business travelers in places like airports, hotels, and convention centers, some industry analysts say Logan's mix of free and paid services may prove to be a popular new approach. The Manchester, N.H., airport, which began offering WiFi this month, offers a similar package of free airport and flight-delay information, with full Net access for $7 daily.http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2004/06/23/wifi_set_for_landing/

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
WiFi at an airport?!!!

Only thing I wouldl use WiFi on the airport for is a webcam that is attached to the baggage screening x-ray machine. :eek:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Considering how secure that airport has been, imagine how secure their network will be. :rolleyes: It's likely that any 5 year old would be able to break into confidential information.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
In the actual article in the Business section of the Globe is a picture of Tom Niblock checking the net. Also a cute little girl to his left. Tom is waiting on a flight to Ireland. The best part is that he has a 15" PowerBook on his lap.

It would seem that the $6.95 would only be worth the cost if you were spending a long wait.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Given that we are asked to get to the airports 1 to 2 hours before a flight, wi-fi is a great idea. Though I find daily fees of $8 to be too high. $8 a day for a hotel that I am staying might be worth it. $4 for airport access would be more like it.

I guess I'll be keeping my LG5350 and Sprint Vision access for my PB.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
virividox said:
hmmmm im never really in transit long enough to use wifi, but i guess maybe i would use it if i had more than a 2 hour lay over

Even with my limited travel I generally find myself with an hour or two of "dead" time at the airports now. Cheap and fast internet would be nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.