Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frag2

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
So I used to use a Macbook circa 2008. The last update on it was Snow Leopard and I ran Caffeine on it where it would allow my screen to dim but Wifi and all other connectivity stuff would stay connected.

Now that I've jumped onto Yosemite, I've read up how to do that but it seems it isn't possible?

Caffeine app is different from last I remembered it.

Any ideas how I can set up my MBPr to put the monitor to sleep but leave wifi and BT still active and connected? It's been a while since I mucked with settings [probably 5 years?] so pardon me for my noobness.

Thanks in advance

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
Why did you need Caffeine? Those are the two settings you can change in System Preferences -> Energy Saver.

frag2

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
I think because its been years since I tinkered with the settings menu, I have no idea what each thing does...maybe I'm getting old.

The only thing I want the computer to do is dim the screen when in "standby" without killing wifi

I'll try out your guys' suggestions. Thx

Naio

Cancelled
Apr 2, 2015
I think because its been years since I tinkered with the settings menu, I have no idea what each thing does...maybe I'm getting old.

The only thing I want the computer to do is dim the screen when in "standby" without killing wifi

I'll try out your guys' suggestions. Thx

If you want your display to turn off, but not put the computer to sleep, what I wrote above should do that for you.

In other words, writing "caffeinate" (without quotes) in the Terminal will do what you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.