Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
MBP 2015 model here, on latest OS X El Capitan. We have two other Mid 2012 MBAs. When my MBP comes out of sleep, it is very slow to reconnect to the internet. The WiFi indicator shows that it is connected, but when I open the cover of the computer, it just sits for over a minute before the internet becomes available. To eliminate the router as the issue, I just purchased a new Airport Extreme. Prior to this, I was using a Netgear Nighthawk.

Both of the MBAs are also on OS X El Capitan, and neither of them has any problems connecting.

I have tried everything that I can find on the internet to fix this, short of a clean install of the OS. I've spent many hours on the forums, but nothing's worked. Has anyone had this problem and managed to fix it? I'm getting ready to just take it in to the Apple store.

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2012
How long has it been doing this ? I see similar behavior, though not as long as yours (1+ minutes) and it appears to have started after the most recent OS update. I've tried multiple fixes and none have worked.

Depending on where you ask, everything except for the Apple device and/or software will be blamed. The router is the favorite to blame but that won't happen in your case since it's from Apple....

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
How long has it been doing this ? I see similar behavior, though not as long as yours (1+ minutes) and it appears to have started after the most recent OS update. I've tried multiple fixes and none have worked.

Depending on where you ask, everything except for the Apple device and/or software will be blamed. The router is the favorite to blame but that won't happen in your case since it's from Apple....
I've only had the computer since the end of December, and because of some issues in January, I didn't use it much. So I've pretty much noticed it the whole time that I've been using it. It has definitely persisted through at least one update to the OS.

One thing that I'm trying now is adjusting the MTU. By default, it appears to be set to 1500. I've seen suggestions for setting it to 1450, but seeing as my DSL uses an MTU of 1492, I am using that. There have been times where I've opened the computer and it's connected right away, and there are times where it is still taking a long time.

I bought the Airport Extreme because I read so many posts blaming other routers for the issue. I'm actually glad that it is not fixed by an Airport Extreme because what would it say about this computer if the wifi only worked well with an Apple branded router. I'm not even sure that I'm going to keep the router, though I am getting much better wifi speeds with it, than I was with the Netgear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.