Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelltd

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2005
That's pretty awesome. Let's see some third parties playing around with something like this. Come on third parties, think outside the box with your Wii game ideas!

twistedlegato

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
That guy is amazing. BUt i still dont understand how this actually works. This dude needs to work for Nintendo.

michaelltd

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2005
The only thing that is happening is that the virtual camera's position is changing based on the IR data from the Wii Remote. The camera's view vector is always pointing at some distant point in space. Placing and keeping the Wii Sensor Bar near your eyes and moving around the room will then give the illusion that you see in this video. Can be very effective.

Implementation should be pretty simple if you know how to read and interpret that IR data from the Wii Remote.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
This is really cool. Thanks for posting. :)

I'd imagine if Nintendo were to use this, they would give you an IR hat/goggles and a simple bluetooth IR camera (as it's a waste of a wiimote just for the IR camera). Even better if the bluetooth IR camera tapped its power from the sensor bar port (power only connection - no data).

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I don't see why this wouldn't work in reverse; you could strap a Wiimote to your head and it would track your position relative to the TV! :D

michaelltd

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2005
I'd like for Namco (I think it's Namco) to make a special Time Crisis game for the Wii. Perhaps make the GunCon sport a set of IR emitters and a Wii Remote holder for the shooting. Then you'd have free control of moving in and out of cover physically as well as the extra play mechanic of adjusting your line of sight to take out enemies that may otherwise be too obscure to shoot at.

vanakaru

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2006
weird, two years later are we got ANY further. when I search google I get the same videos and topics.
I think the key is that in reality it is too unreliable. Or I miss something

mchaconcr2

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2017
weirder, 10 years later, and still the same videos! I really thought back then that this was going somewhere. I think head tracking on a regular monitor is better at so many levels than 2017's VR for certain things.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
weirder, 10 years later, and still the same videos! I really thought back then that this was going somewhere. I think head tracking on a regular monitor is better at so many levels than 2017's VR for certain things.

I don't know if you are aware but after seeing this, this Researcher had an iOS app that did the same thing on your iPhone or iPad (used the front camera to track your head), I had downloaded it for my iPhone and iPad and it was pretty amazing...

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
I don't know if you are aware but after seeing this, this Researcher had an iOS app that did the same thing on your iPhone or iPad (used the front camera to track your head), I had downloaded it for my iPhone and iPad and it was pretty amazing...

Whats the name of the app? I remember seeing the demo a decade ago and thought it was pretty cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.