Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deluxeshredder

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
About iOS' design. I used to love the look of < iOS 7, but it just looks dated now. iOS 7 and 8 look great in my opinion, following the latest flat design trends.
If iOS 7+ design was that good and classic iOS design was that dated, everyone would be talking about how the new version works and how it is better in actual use and has actual great new features.

During the first years of Android and OS X, almost every new release had numerous design changes, sometimes very significant, yet almost no one was noticing them because they have almost all made the UI more usable or accomodated new functionality. In case of iOS 7, it was all about designery, simplicity, modernity, grids, layers, no ornamentation, no "skeuomorphic nonsense", following the trends, translucency and parallax. No substance because there is none.

And, it is design. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not a form of design.
It has design, and it actually has much more design than classic iOS, but it is much worse design, with no art, soul, attention to detail, questionable usability and almost no practical or functional advantage over the predecessor. Make no mistake, it is a boon for developers and fanboys, but I yet to hear a good word about it from users who don't care about "latest flat design trends".

Planey28

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Birmingham, UK
You remind me of those people who think a giant blue square is "art," like this crap:

OK, if you want to define "art" as anything that someone says is "art" ... then the word can mean literally anything, and therefore is a meaningless word, because it has no set definition anymore. But OK.

However don't bring that crap into iOS. Design is something with a definition. You can't just "select all" and then hit Delete, and tell me something has not been erased. If all that remains of the design is NOTHING, then the design is GONE.

Lack of design is not design, it's lack of design. To design is to take an action, otherwise designers wouldn't get paid money to do it. If all you had to do in order to design something is just to use the default font on a white background, then any schmoe off the street is a world-class designer. Give me a break.

You don't know what you're talking about, and you don't know what design is.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Oh boy i sure miss brilliant design such as this

iu

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I'm curious if Apple will put design back into iOS when 9 comes out?

I thought it was weird that they erased design from most places in the system on iOS 7 and then did not add it back in 8. All the stuff that used to have design is still just plain white with the default font in black, or sometimes in that really ugly blue color.

Do you think they'll add back nice beautiful gradients and the easy-to-look-at high-contrast gray interface with drop-shadows to help you visually distinguish things?

Or for those who hate everything being white, do you think they might let users change the default background to gray or black, at least?

I'm fine with current iOS design and colors choice.
It is much better than iOS 6 and earlier in my opinion.
Surely a further customization, like black background instead of white, would be appreciated.

----------

It's not a lack of design, it's just designed to be simple.

What makes iOS 6 a design and 7 not a design?

Good example.
I prefer the right one, by far. Is modern and polished.
IOS 6 and previous were old. IOS was good in 2007 but it needed a change in design since 2011-2012, and I'm glad about Apple's choice.
Now it's time for further development.

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
iOS needs to be changed so it has the shadows and detail of OS X Yosemite.

I can't find a decent wallpaper for the home screen on iOS 7 or 8 because there's no separation of the background and icons. Apple expects the parallax effect to do that as if in real life, things that move over something below it don't cast shadows.

The only wallpaper that looks good is the stock nebula wallpaper from iOS 7.

Parallax would be cool if I were a cyclops that didn't know that the display is flat. It doesn't fool me at all. All it really does is throw off all this "meticulous" alignment that went into its design, which is all the design that iOS 7 and 8 really has. Status bars overlap the icons because of this movement and there's no option to disable it without disabling almost every animation in the entire system.

And what's more hilarious is that there's a simple solution, which is to just leave the icons stationary and only move the wallpaper.

The whole unfinished look is what contributes to the feeling that iOS 7 and 8 are the buggiest releases of iOS ever.

It's a deliberately unfinished design that will always look unfinished. OS X doesn't have this problem since Apple actually went with gut-feeling and recognized that shadows and artificial lighting effects look better. Apple Watch doesn't have these design problems either since it has these simple icons on a black background and not a user wallpaper, giving it definition.

I remember everyone saying that we'd all get used to it, and here I am almost two years later, still not digging it.

It needs to improve. If it doesn't, they'll be doing the same thing with the old design, using it for too long and letting it stagnate.

This software design is holding the hardware back. It makes the iPhone 6 feel less amazing than it can feel, since it has such an amazing display that the software neglects. The iPhone 6 looks more "magical" with iOS 6.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 386
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 391
Last edited:
Reactions: KALLT

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I find nothing hideous about iOS 5/6. The UI design was well thought out and proper colors were used where we didn't have to request a dark keyboard so as to make out the letters on the screen. The entire design including the choice of colors had an easy flow where the choices used were logical. I do find it amusing that the bookmark icon was moved back to where Scott Forstall first put it.

As far as OS X vs OS 9. It's ironic that OS X is now starting to take on the look of OS 9 and Windows XP.

The issue I had was that the share sheet extension icons looked kinda out of place agains the old backdrop. Now, iOS 7 has a plain white background, so any app icon won't appear out of place.

It's one of those things where it didn't bother me prior to iOS 7, but now that I can seen ios7, I genuinely love the new design direction, and can't imagine myself going back.

G-Force

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2006
If iOS 7+ design was that good and classic iOS design was that dated, everyone would be talking about how the new version works and how it is better in actual use and has actual great new features.
A lot actually do. Not EVERYONE hates iOS 7/8 design, that's just nonsense. Apple can't please everybody, it's just not possible so there will always be people not liking the new design.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
it is a computer / smart phone not a work of art. Who cares about what an ICON looks like. I care what it does when I press it.

quackers82

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
I hope things design wise do get improved on iOS 9. I have iOS 8 on my iPad Air, iPad Mini and iPhone 6. My iPod touch is running iOS 6 as thats the last supported OS. I still use it every week and when i open it up i love it! It makes me smile, the animations are smoother, better, and just more inviting. I get a feeling from iOS 6 thats just not there with iOS 7 or 8. I don't hate 7 or 8 as they have features i like, and the design is ok, but something makes them feel colder to me. Even down to the Apps iOS 6 feels better to me, like the address bar in Safari fully goes blue from left to right when loading instead of a thin bar you get in iOS 7/8.

I think it comes down the visual cues, as shown in the screen shot in a previous post, in iOS 6 it clearly says 'Off' in iOS 7/8 its not as instantly clear. Its not as clear in 7/8 whats press-able, whats a button, whats just text? (and turning on the buttons makes iOS 7/8 look horrendous)I think its areas like this that the iOS 9 design needs tweaking.

Reactions: Dino F

darkgoob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Left looks busy. Right looks simple.

Actually interacting with it is more enjoyable on the right because of animations and feedback.

What does "looks busy" mean? Busy people get things done. They make money. They have a life. Business tools help them do that efficiently. I see this as a good thing.

Further how does the one on the right look "simple"? What it looks like to me is that if I want to access Privacy, Brightness, or iCloud controls, then on the iOS 7 example I need to scroll down to get there, whereas on iOS 6, the option is immediately available. To me that makes iOS 6 the simpler, more efficient design.

Also, the iOS 7 example lacks any background color or texture to separate the time and battery status bar at the top from the "Settings" heading, and only a tiny thin line to separate the title bar from the rest of the view. Combined with its abuse of whiteness, that makes it visually confusing and harsh on the eyes, with no friendly visual cues to help you quickly perceive the sections.

The pinstripe vertical lines of the background in iOS 6 are visually pleasing and subtly help you know it scrolls vertically.

What this feels like is the difference between using Photoshop and Illustrator to design something, and using Illustrator and MS Word to design something. Could you replicate the iOS7 design using MS Word and Illustrator only? Yep.

I understand that Apple wanted to make a UI that could scale across multiple screen DPIs and sizes, and have adjustable font sizes, and I can accept that they needed to remove bitmap graphics and designs from the interface to do that.

So with respect to that overriding need, the iOS 7/8 look-and-feel is justifiable as a stepping stone to a scalable UI. But now with Metal in place, they really ought to be able to re-add design back into the UI and take advantage of DPI-independent, procedurally generated textures and 3D lighting effects, etc., to once again show that Apple's products are superior in terms of design to things like Android and Windows Phone.

I would at a minimum hope they can give us a way to use a black or gray background and put some gradients behind things to make them visually stand out. I browse forums with a black background quite often, and the Copy/Paste pop-up being solid black in iOS 7/8 is really annoying because it blends right into the background.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
What does "looks busy" mean?

I'm guessing he meant "cluttered"?

... they really ought to be able to re-add design back into the UI...

I think you mean "decoration" or "ornamentation"?

Design is more of a process (like engineering) rather than some sort of fuel-additive that you just pour into your tank :)

I will agree with you that the lack of affordance (for what used to be press-able buttons) can be a bit confusing at times. That said, there's an option to turn on "button shapes" (or something like that) under Accessability settings. I tried that myself, but went back to the clean native look. I decided I don't like UI clutter.

One other thought. If this iPad pro with a huge screen really does come along, I can see icon flatness and simplicity being - somewhat paradoxically - more important to avoid cognitive overload on a bigger screen. It will force app developers to come up with simple, easily-recognizable icons and controls, rather than lazily squeezing ever-more tiny details into an icon in the faint hope that will differentiate it in a crowd.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
I loved the old iOS design (I've been a user since iOS 2.x) However I feel like it's gotten better with iOS 7/8, honestly what I want to see from iOS 9 is a dark mode (system wide) as well as maybe circular icons that aren't on a grid per se, similar to OS X Yosemite. Apple can pull off unifying both OS' in the iconography especially since Apple Watch will also have circular icons. iOS needs to eliminate the grid so that people can truly customize their devices with wallpapers etc and put their icons wherever they wish. More Dynamic wallpapers would be nice as well.

darkgoob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
I hope things design wise do get improved on iOS 9. I have iOS 8 on my iPad Air, iPad Mini and iPhone 6. My iPod touch is running iOS 6 as thats the last supported OS. I still use it every week and when i open it up i love it! It makes me smile, the animations are smoother, better, and just more inviting. I get a feeling from iOS 6 thats just not there with iOS 7 or 8. I don't hate 7 or 8 as they have features i like, and the design is ok, but something makes them feel colder to me. Even down to the Apps iOS 6 feels better to me, like the address bar in Safari fully goes blue from left to right when loading instead of a thin bar you get in iOS 7/8.

I think it comes down the visual cues, as shown in the screen shot in a previous post, in iOS 6 it clearly says 'Off' in iOS 7/8 its not as instantly clear. Its not as clear in 7/8 whats press-able, whats a button, whats just text? (and turning on the buttons makes iOS 7/8 look horrendous)I think its areas like this that the iOS 9 design needs tweaking.

Yep, this pretty much sums it up to me.

It comes down to "user friendliness" vs. "modern art." Would you rather your couch be comfortable, or would you rather it looks like this: [___] ? Would you rather the folding bed part be easy to pull out, or would you rather that half time time it gets stuck?

"But most people never use the folding bed part." "Comfort and usefulness looks bad."

What constitutes "beauty" and "art" is not measurable. However, being user friendly is measurable. Apple should think to itself, "Is this design harsh on people's eyes? Does the design go out of its way to help people see where useful information is and where different sections of the interface are? Does it provide useful metaphors to convey function?"

What is feels like now is that Apple said to its each of its teams, "find five things to remove from the design of your section. Find one more layer deep to bury controls or hide them from the user. Don't be afraid to make controls ambiguous. Find any visual metaphors and remove them. Assume people already know how to use iOS and don't need visual cues. Make as many white pixels as possible... we want to maximize stark whiteness at all costs, no matter how much design we have to remove. Do not try to make anything obvious... use low contrast."

Am I wrong?

I think Jonny Ive makes a great hardware designer because this strategy is perfect for hardware design, where every extra thing adds weight and bulk, and no matter how thin and uniformly-colored you make things, the human sense of touch can easily distinguish the edges because of how sensitive touch is.

However I do not think this strategy translates well into computer UI, because using color and shape does not *cost anything* in a UI. User interface is all about functionality and interaction. Simplicity in UI is about reducing the number of steps required to perform a task or execute a function—not about just the visual appearance.

Simplicity in UI is aided by user-friendliness, which is about going out of your way to help the user know what step to take, where to look, or what next interaction to do—and in general to make all of this a pleasant, fun, and stylish experience.

Apple has always excelled at style and user friendliness, and I certainly can't fault them for boldly *trying* a new direction in iOS 7/8. I like the use of easy-to-recognize colors in the new app icons, and the use of blur in places to highlight the active control. The new resizable system font looks wonderful. The new back gesture is great.

But bugs and glitches aside, they also took some steps backwards, and went too far in the quest for minimalism. To me, it's no longer true minimalism when you start sacrificing truly useful things, like user-friendliness, in favor of just eliminating stuff because it is there. There is no useful purpose for overly thin lines in icons or text, no reason to use low-contrast color schemes, and really no point to having stark white everywhere.

I know in iOS 7, Apple introduced CoreText and brought in some designers from the world of print. I also come from the world of print, and I can attest that in print design, especially newspaper, "whitespace" is something you talk about and design around. But this is primarily because of the technical realities of the print medium—the paper is already white; gradients can look bad because of dot screen patterns and press inconsistency; color pages cost more to print; all ink/toner costs money (relevant if you are paying for that consumable); ink rubs off on people's hands (relevant in newspaper and some magazines).

Based on these reasons, when you get educated in print design in school, you are taught that minimalism and white-space are wonderful things, and in the case of print, I completely agree with this philosophy! In print you don't care at all about user friendliness. You care about a clean design because the more colors and graphics you use, and not just for design reasons, but also because the more ink you need, the muddier the press will get, and the more quality-control problems your print runs will have (we've all seen that magazine where some pages are all screwed up).

However the result of designing a UI using concepts and principles that come from the world of hardware design and print design is, if you'll forgive me, STUPID.

Pixels never bleed, color costs nothing, and you're dealing with an illuminated screen. In print, "whitespace" is only minimalistic because the paper is already white. In reality an LCD or LED screen is actually *black* by default, so using white is not at all minimalistic. In fact white is achieved by using the maximum values for red, green, an blue in the pixels. That is maximalism, not minimalism.

Bright white light hitting the eyes is just bad, too. At night it causes melatonin release to stop in the brain and keeps you up longer. All professional Mac software I use, from MOTU DP8 to Photoshop to PHPstorm to Apple's own XCode, offers a user-customizable color palette for the UI, including a dark-background mode. Why not do this with iOS?

I just don't get it. Why force a maximalistic, over-simplified, thin-line, low-contrast interface on us, and recommend developers to make all their apps in this style?

Fortunately some have not. Including Apple. Garage Band for iOS 7/8 looks great and still uses skeuomorphism where appropriate. And hey look, it's one of Apple's highest-rated apps! Coincidence?

Or look at Daily Routine, a wonderfully colorful time management utility, with bold, high-contrast icons and great UI customizability, although it could probably be simplified.

I don't hate the lack of design in iOS 7/8, because what little design they did use is not terrible (although I find myself using "invert colors" at night or indoors so as not to blind myself and ruin my ability to internally produce melatonin on a given night).

But making "deference" a design goal in iOS 7 led to more steps for the user by having apps hide things and require you to perform some extra gesture or step to get to the controls. This is to require more interaction in order to pay for visual simplicity. It makes apps much more confusing for people like my parents and grandmother. It is rarely a trade-off worth making.

Going to thin-line, hard-to-look-at icons was also really annoying. You do this in print design because ink always bleeds into the paper and ends up looking thicker, but I mean, how does using a 1-pt stroke with no visual relief improve a UI over a 4-pt stroke with a hairline of relief to improve contrast?

Compare the icons and tabs in iOS 6 Safari to iOS 7/8, or the keyboard. How is iOS 7/8 better in any way? The iOS 6 keyboard is a nice translucent gray and the platinum color of the address bar and tabs separates it apart from the webpage itself (as it should be). The slightly curved edges of the tabs is an eye-pleasing visual touch that shows refinement and prevents tab separator lines from appearing contiguous with any lines in the webpage that might happen to line up with the separation.

I just can't understand why Apple thought it was an improvement to get rid of all that.

Last edited:
Reactions: mchart

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
Jony Ive recently talked about how 3D rendering concepts of future iPhone ideas are made to look good on video, but are designs that would not feel good in your hand or look great as a finished, physical product.

I could not agree more with him about this, and Apple's hardware design is still as amazing as it always was.

However, I think a similar criticism to what Jony said of dumb hardware concepts can actually be used against his software designs.

He applies a theory that the motion of on-screen elements will give the user the sense of depth, but in practice, the user can only get a sense of depth if they try.
The minimalism is too minimal.
Sure, the idea of a UI that's as efficient and minimal as possible is good, but in a finished product, excessive minimalism is less enjoyable.

The direction I want Apple to go in with iOS 9 is to simply give a Yosemite-style update. There is a theme called "Redwood" that does some of what I want Apple to do. The glyphs and colors that Apple uses right now are fine, it's just the detail and lighting that I want to see implemented.

hYNuL6x.png

Last edited:
Reactions: KALLT and ccard3dev

Bomb Bloke

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2015
Tasmania (AU)
Ooh, that does look pretty nice... How're the controls in menus and so on?

Assume people already know how to use iOS and don't need visual cues.

I've long had a feeling that this point, in particular, is the basis behind the entire 7+ design.

I just can't understand why Apple thought it was an improvement to get rid of all that.

Something about Jony Ive being a legend in the field of design. Apparently. Frankly I suspect that if he ever leaves the company, the look of iOS will change very shortly after.

AppleP59

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2014
You remind me of those people who think a giant blue square is "art," like this crap:

OK, if you want to define "art" as anything that someone says is "art" ... then the word can mean literally anything, and therefore is a meaningless word, because it has no set definition anymore. But OK.

However don't bring that crap into iOS. Design is something with a definition. You can't just "select all" and then hit Delete, and tell me something has not been erased. If all that remains of the design is NOTHING, then the design is GONE.

Lack of design is not design, it's lack of design. To design is to take an action, otherwise designers wouldn't get paid money to do it. If all you had to do in order to design something is just to use the default font on a white background, then any schmoe off the street is a world-class designer. Give me a break.

So this is in zero way art?
Bq1AxhDIUAAr1Z8.png

And who's the artist in Yayoi Kusama's "The Obliteration Room"?

She made this
obliteration-2-600x400.jpg

into this
obliteration-8.jpg

Or Roman Ondák’s room of heights. Where every visitor is encouraged to mark their height on the wall

roman08-500x375.jpg

And after several months a dark band encircles the gallery.
02-500x345.jpg

Is this art?
Who is the making it "art"?
Me?
You?
The people viewing?
The people participating?
Or the person who set it up?

Thinking of typefaces as fashion for letters is not a new idea.
It's been said that the work of a type designer is just like the work of a dressmaker.
Do you know anything about typography..?

Last edited:

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
Where is this?
Where can I find both these?

Ive said this in an interview when asked about how young people are being taught industrial design. Here is the article:
Design education is "tragic" says Jonathan Ive

Theres a little bit in the article:
Ive, who is Apple's senior vice president of design, said that students were being taught to use computer programs to make renderings that could "make a dreadful design look really palatable".

More about Redwood:
http://www.reddit.com/r/iOSthemes/comments/2b28md/release_redwood_stock_ios_7_icons_with_os_x/

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Jony Ive recently talked about how 3D rendering concepts of future iPhone ideas are made to look good on video, but are designs that would not feel good in your hand or look great as a finished, physical product.

I could not agree more with him about this, and Apple's hardware design is still as amazing as it always was.

However, I think a similar criticism to what Jony said of dumb hardware concepts can actually be used against his software designs.

He applies a theory that the motion of on-screen elements will give the user the sense of depth, but in practice, the user can only get a sense of depth if they try.
Sure, the idea of a UI that's as efficient and minimal is good in theory, but in the finished product, it's less enjoyable. Just like Jony said about hardware concepts.

The direction I want Apple to go in with iOS 9 is to simply give a Yosemite-style update. There is a theme called "Redwood" that does some of what I want Apple to do. The glyphs and colors that Apple uses right now are fine, it's just the detail and lighting that I want to see implemented.

I completely agree with you about iOS needing a Yosemite-style update. To me, the biggest issues with iOS 7/8 are
  • Lazy, unfinished-looking iconography
  • Undefined buttons (text hyperlinks essentially), little visual distinction between title/navigation bars and content (both are usually white with plain text), and a general abuse of white space overall.
Only Apple can fix the second problem. But, the icons can be fixed now if you are jailbroken. I have been working on a theme for the past few weeks to update the iOS 8 icons to look more like Yosemite. Both OS X and iOS use a flat look. But, Yosemite's icons still allow for a slight bevel effect and small drop shadow for icon glyphs. These, combined with the fact that Yosemite hasn't done away with skeuomorphism completely, gives the Yosemite icon set a much more finished look than the iOS 7/8 set. Look at the Safari, iBooks, and Photos icons in the screenshot below. They're essentially the same design as their iOS 8 counterparts. But, the slight bevel effect and drop shadows makes the flat design feel like so much more of a deliberate choice.

attachment.php

If Apple would move to a more Yosemite look in iOS 9 where icons were touched up, title bars were still flat but had some distinction from content, and drop shadows were allowed once again, I think I would be pretty happy. The glossy look in iOS 6 was a bit much, but Apple went WAY too far in iOS 7 to the point where the system (still) feels unfinished. I think Yosemite was much closer to the mark of what a well-designed flat OS should look like.

Attachments

• IMG_0195.PNG
    IMG_0195.PNG
    3.6 MB · Views: 3,848
Reactions: KALLT

darkgoob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Let me give examples of what I'm talking about.

I love dpreview.com, especially their great white-on-black design. This image shows how the removal of design in iOS 7/8 results in the UI control becoming invisible. Note that I reported this bug to Apple prior to the release of iOS 7 and yet they did nothing to fix it in 2.5 years.
pkdEG8H.jpg

(Note: if you could see it and it had copy and paste, the line between the two on iOS 7/8 does not come down to the middle of the point of the control's shape, but is off-center—another example of lack of quality control on the new UI.)

Next we have the terrible iOS 7/8 keyboard. Just look at the bad design of this. Why are the lower left and lower right keys gray? Can you tell if shift has been pressed or not, and if so, how? Why is there an empty white bar above the keyboard on the right side? iOS 6's keyboard does not have drawing glitches and it's obvious the shift key has been pressed because of the blue color clearly indicating that fact. Also it is much more pleasing to look at, and appears designed by professionals, as opposed to, well...
JqNI3vQ.jpg

Next up is the bookmarks view. Now this is just my opinion but I feel the iOS 6 one just looks a hell of a lot better. I think it should be obvious why; the ugly, faint icons in iOS 7/8 being the primary eyesore, and just lack of symmetry.
mgz9yu7.jpg

The next two images show the garbagely mess that replaced iOS 6's elegant favorites bar. I'm sorry but what's with all this dead space on the sides? Why does it look so different when you click through to the next layer down? Based on how much whitespace we see here, shouldn't they have made that a floating window over the previous screen?
e2o1Ikz.jpg

lMUxcpa.jpg

And these are just some of the issues with Safari in iOS 7/8... tip of the iceberg, really. I'd need videos to show a lot of the bad behaviors.

Then there is the rest of the system, and it's full of inexplicable crap like this. I would call it "lack of design," but in deference to those of you who argue this *is* design, in its own sort of way, then maybe I should just call it "lack of good design." Bah, semantics. You know what I mean.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada

Sure, the idea of a UI that's as efficient and minimal as possible is good, but in a finished product, excessive minimalism is less enjoyable.

hYNuL6x.png

I love those icons, where can I get them?

Dark Goob

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Just that flat design isn't what you think it worths the word "design". I respect your dislike of flat design, but I cannot agree with you.
<snip>
:)

Note that Apple has never called it "flat," and in fact one of the primary design princples laid out by Apple in its official guide to developers concerning the human interface of iOS 7/8, is "depth."

The parralax background being on by default is supposed to convey this sense of depth. Nevermind that they have never released additional parralax backgrounds or fixed its deadzone problem or opened up parralax background to developers so we can make ones that move properly with multiple levels of parallax and use the front camera for head tracking to really nail the effect. Nevermind that I suggested all these ideas to Apple over two years ago and they ignored it.

Because they are happy to make a half-done feature that barely does the trick and never touch it again, these days.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
What does "looks busy" mean? Busy people get things done. They make money. They have a life. Business tools help them do that efficiently. I see this as a good thing.

Further how does the one on the right look "simple"? What it looks like to me is that if I want to access Privacy, Brightness, or iCloud controls, then on the iOS 7 example I need to scroll down to get there, whereas on iOS 6, the option is immediately available. To me that makes iOS 6 the simpler, more efficient design.

Also, the iOS 7 example lacks any background color or texture to separate the time and battery status bar at the top from the "Settings" heading, and only a tiny thin line to separate the title bar from the rest of the view. Combined with its abuse of whiteness, that makes it visually confusing and harsh on the eyes, with no friendly visual cues to help you quickly perceive the sections.

The pinstripe vertical lines of the background in iOS 6 are visually pleasing and subtly help you know it scrolls vertically.

What this feels like is the difference between using Photoshop and Illustrator to design something, and using Illustrator and MS Word to design something. Could you replicate the iOS7 design using MS Word and Illustrator only? Yep.

I understand that Apple wanted to make a UI that could scale across multiple screen DPIs and sizes, and have adjustable font sizes, and I can accept that they needed to remove bitmap graphics and designs from the interface to do that.

So with respect to that overriding need, the iOS 7/8 look-and-feel is justifiable as a stepping stone to a scalable UI. But now with Metal in place, they really ought to be able to re-add design back into the UI and take advantage of DPI-independent, procedurally generated textures and 3D lighting effects, etc., to once again show that Apple's products are superior in terms of design to things like Android and Windows Phone.

I would at a minimum hope they can give us a way to use a black or gray background and put some gradients behind things to make them visually stand out. I browse forums with a black background quite often, and the Copy/Paste pop-up being solid black in iOS 7/8 is really annoying because it blends right into the background.

Some things need work to really take advantage of the new design. Things like drop-shadows and outlines needs to be improved. Improved separation between sections and less white-space and more filled in space.

They did a good job replacing the old skeuomorphism but they need to go a step further and reinforce their philosophy with a bit more border and higher contrast in some areas.

My thoughts. Design is completely subjective.

----------

Yes, that's the direction I'd like iOS 9 or 10 to move toward!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.