Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silvrbullet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
I'm not eligible for an upgrade yet, but AT&T said I could pay $250+ contract price for the iPhone 4S, and sign another two year contract. AT this time my contractual obligation to the iPhone 4 will be up-- Will AT&T unlock it for me?

My girlfriend wants to use it on T-mobile.. she is currently using a 3G that's jailbroke.. it doesn't work the best.

Middiebear

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2010
AT&T does not unlock the iPhone.

There's no unlock code to give and there's no instructions on how to do it in any of the AT&T billing systems.

silvrbullet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
That's totally depressing. I figured since Apple was selling them unlocked, there might be a way..

Is a jalibreak more stable on the iPhone 4? It seems like her 3G crashes ALL the time, and isn't stable...

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
AT&T does not unlock the iPhone.

There's no unlock code to give and there's no instructions on how to do it in any of the AT&T billing systems.

funny thing is that in Germany after two years T-Mobile unlocks your phone. It's the law since you have paid in full by then. They send you an unlock code via Text I think.

It's a shame that US law allows ATT (and others) to keep your phone locked although you fullfilled your contract and paid the phone. Can some lawyer please file a lawsuit?:D

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
That's totally depressing. I figured since Apple was selling them unlocked, there might be a way..

There is a way, but it's entirely up to the carrier whether they choose to use it.

They send you an unlock code via Text I think.

No, they do not. iPhone unlocks are accomplished via communication with Apple's servers when you sync your phone in iTunes (and presumably now OTA...although I've no confirmation of that). The carrier submits the request to Apple and, if all goes right, the next time you sync you will receive a message saying that your phone has been unlocked. There is no such thing as an iPhone unlock code.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
funny thing is that in Germany after two years T-Mobile unlocks your phone. It's the law since you have paid in full by then. They send you an unlock code via Text I think.

It's a shame that US law allows ATT (and others) to keep your phone locked although you fullfilled your contract and paid the phone. Can some lawyer please file a lawsuit?:D

In the USA, T-mobile unlocks your phone as long as you have been in good standing with them for at least 90 days.

Obviously they can't unlock iPhones since they do not have an agreement with apple to sell them, but any t-mobile device you have your SIM will be unlocked if you call them up and ask them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.