Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
WTF? And its own social photo sharing thing?? I wouldn't go near this even if Jimmy Paige or Led Zeppelin collectively "made" it, and I can be 99999X more sure that I won't buy something like this "made" by Will.i.am.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Allow me to point out the obvious:

Number 1: "Will.i'm not surprised.
Plastic and bling gold..."

So why isn't the poster surprised that it's plastic and bling gold? There's an obvious inference that all black people love "bling" and gold. But you knew that already.

So I guess you think that no black people can ever like bling? Look at Will.i.am's picture, and note what he is wearing. To call someone racist for saying that Will.i.am likes fake gold and bling is RIDICULOUS. He clearly does:

will_i_am-4.jpg

Last edited:

Gomff

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
It's called "white guilt."
You simply have no idea what racism is. Something tells me you weren't alive in the 60s. You are absolutely clueless.

My conscience is clear brother....But I'm hoping some of the people on here can tell me something about white shame or there really is no hope.

You think I'm clueless? How cute!

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Allow me to point out the obvious:

Number 1: "Will.i'm not surprised.
Plastic and bling gold..."

So why isn't the poster surprised that it's plastic and bling gold? There's an obvious inference that all black people love "bling" and gold. But you knew that already.

Number 2: Calling someone pointless, vulgar and talentless...(a) This has nothing to do with the camera and (b) It's an offensive remark aimed at someone the poster doesn't even know. Do you think it's a friendly remark? Maybe to you it's just "edgy banter" right?

I'm quite happy to say if something isn't very good. But it's the way the bigots in this thread look the other way whilst another wades in with some crass thinly veiled snarky racial stereotype and you all guffaw with each other that I find sickening. It's like the late 20th century never happened....Then again, maybe it didn't for some.

And saucy adverts? WTF are you talking about?

Uh, this sounds just a wee bit totally freaking paranoid. :D

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Why is this even Apple news? Terrible iPhone accessories come out all the time. Is this just some kind of new record?

Gomff

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
So I guess you think that no black people can ever like bling? Look at Will.i.am's picture, and note what he is wearing: Image

If anything, you're the one being racist.

Ugh, ladies....One at a time.

OK....So are you telling me that because you've found a picture of Will.i.am wearing gold, that somehow proves he and all black people like gold and wear it all the time. Furthermore that they only want products that have gold in or on them?

Please explain to me how I'm being racist because I haven't chuckled enough already.

----------

Personal attacks, as you state, are wrong, and not allowed, I could not agree more.

But, the focus of your attention I find a bit interesting.

By that I mean, people who think they are cool (meaning they are better than me) for mutating words and spellings to make strange combinations of letters, especially of names, I find offensive because mine is simple and not mutated as is the language I use. Why no outrage there?

People who think they are so cool that they can inscribe on or associate their name with a product in order to make money obviously think they are more valuable (and I'm not talking about currency) than me, that's offensive. Where's the outrage there?

People who wear certain items or live by certain rules of fashion believe themselves to be better than me simply because I would never choose that style, that's offensive.

The exclusive membership in appreciation of certain music which elevates its listeners to a superior status than me I find offensive. will.i.am is one of the artists people in such a group listen to - he says nothing about this, and the fact his fans think themselves better than me is offensive.

People who use certain language or vernacular (which is almost always a mutation of language, and certainly not translatable) believe themselves to be a member of an exclusive (and cool) group, which means I am excluded, and that is offensive. Where's the outrage there?

People who make so much more money than the common person who works every bit as hard, if not harder, than the person that earns 100x plus in wages is an outrage and general human offence. Where is your outrage?

I could go on and on and on, but what I think is that will.i.am offends me (and billions of other people on this planet, none of whom are less valued than him in every way except money) in so many ways, but we never see anyone calling him out for being offensive, we merely give him license to create in our market a stupid piece of pointless expensive gaudy crap that appeals to people who support his offensiveness, most of whom are also offensive. I find this abhorrent and outrageous.

<stepping down off soap box>

I hope you agree with me.

I was going to try and come up with an answer to your point.

But I couldn't find one.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
You simply have no idea what racism is. Something tells me you weren't alive in the 60s. You are absolutely clueless.

He knows what it is, but he's just wrong in identifying it and is clearly one of those people who make it more difficult to say anything without getting sued.
racism |ˈrāˌsizəm|
noun
the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
If someone indeed intended to say something like "Will.i.am is black, which is why it's so cheesy and bling-covered", that would be racism. None of the comments are racist.

chambord

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2012
WTF? And its own social photo sharing thing?? I wouldn't go near this even if Jimmy Paige or Led Zeppelin collectively "made" it, and I can be 99999X more sure that I won't buy something like this "made" by Will.i.am.

Yup. It's completely ridiculous. So, to take a "more megapixel" picture, I have to attach a stupid big gaudy thing, use a stupid app, and then access it through a stupid new social photo sharing thing? No thanks. I'm pretty sure that anybody who takes real photographs will just use a good camera. The iPhone 5 camera (will.i.am, you do know the 5 is out now, right?) is pretty decent, but pales in comparison to a decent $1000 camera. Anyone who actually takes important pics will already have the camera, etc.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Ugh, ladies....One at a time.

OK....So are you telling me that because you've found a picture of Will.i.am wearing gold, that somehow proves he and all black people like gold and wear it all the time. Furthermore that they only want products that have gold in or on them?

Please explain to me how I'm being racist because I haven't chuckled enough already.

Well, you are quickly and directly associating bling to dark-skinned people. I wouldn't call you out on this if you weren't trying to call someone racist just for saying that Will.i.am likes bling.

...And you failed to understand what I was saying. Will.i.am clearly wears bling at least in some of his pictures (Google him), so it would be reasonable for anyone to assume that he likes bling. But according to you, having skin that reflects less light than "white" skin suddenly means that nobody can say that you like bling without being racist.

----------

Yup. It's completely ridiculous. So, to take a "more megapixel" picture, I have to attach a stupid big gaudy thing, use a stupid app, and then access it through a stupid new social photo sharing thing? No thanks. I'm pretty sure that anybody who takes real photographs will just use a good camera. The iPhone 5 camera (will.i.am, you do know the 5 is out now, right?) is pretty decent, but pales in comparison to a decent $1000 camera. Anyone who actually takes important pics will already have the camera, etc.

I also forgot to mention that this accessory costs more than a good point-and-shoot.

Gomff

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
If someone indeed intended to say something like "Will.i.am is black, which is why it's so cheesy and bling-covered", that would be racism. None of the comments are racist.

How much of this thread have you actually read? By the definition you quoted, plenty of posts meet that exact criteria for being racist, and plenty more have an inferred sense of the same thing.

Do all you people think that it's not racism unless there's a ********** burning cross on the lawn and a bunch of guys in white hoods stood around it?

Seriously.

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
How much of this thread have you actually read? By the definition you quoted, plenty of posts meet that exact criteria for being racist, and plenty more have an inferred sense of the same thing.

Do all you people think that it's not racism unless there's a ********** burning cross on the lawn and a bunch of guys in white hoods stood around it?

Seriously.

I've read enough this thread it to understand you think people you disagree with are automatically white.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
"Dear Asian Designers,

Golden painted plastic is tacky. Please stop.

Signed,

Moi "

Note to Mods: Why did you delete this post the first time?

I'm Asian, and I do not find this offending or racist at all. Problem?

Also, they probably deleted it because it derails the comment section by forcing people to respond to ridiculous comments (AKA trolling).

----------

Seriously.
Well, I climbed up your reply chains, and all I see is bad, probably overly bad comments about this product and Will.i.am. I'd say that this product does not create any honor for its creator, and bad comments are reasonable and overly bad comments expected on websites.

No, they just happen to dislike someone who happens to be African. That doesn't make them racist. Anyone is going to get lots of hate comments for making such a terrible product.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
This accessory practically doubles the size of the iPhone. The only way Steve Jobs would have ever release something like this to the public is if it far more than doubled the usefulness of the phone.

A Jobs iCase would probably include the following features:

-Doubles battery life
-Picture quality on camera rivals that of a low-end Canon DSLR
-Slide out keyboard is a second touch screen (retina version released as iCase 2)
-Low light camera performance 10X better
-One-piece aluminum construction
-Increased cell reception
-Compatible only with the iPhone 6
-And with Ive designing it, it would end up looking something like this (except 3mm thicker. iCase 2 would be 2mm):

EDIT: Oh, and Apple would release yet another version of mobile me/icloud called micloud to serve as a photo hosting service. And everyone's Apple issue email addresses would be changed to @micloud.com :p
Everything in the current iCloud would be transferred to the new micloud automatically with only half of it lost! Guaranteed! :rolleyes:

There's always at least one...

picard-facepalm.jpg

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
FTR, "Gomff" and everyone who engages him go on "ignore" so my view of this thread at least will resume its rightful purpose of mocking Will.i.am.

Gomff

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Well, you are quickly and directly associating bling to dark-skinned people. I wouldn't call you out on this if you weren't trying to call someone racist just for saying that Will.i.am likes bling.

OK....So let's give the person who made that comment the benefit of the doubt because this is getting a bit old (even though we both know what they really meant). Care to explain some of these other comments away? Let me remind you:

"Dear Asian Designers,

Signed,

Moi "

and

"I'm pretty sure every Lil Wayne listening hoodrat will sport one of these.... cuz you know, theres gold on it."

and

"..and certain proof that the towering cock jockey is as deluded as I previously assumed." (cramming a bit of homophobia in there as well, just for good measure"

Please explain to me how these comments are OK, and reflect a civilized intelligent critique of a new technology product.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
I was going to try and come up with an answer to your point.

But I couldn't find one.

That doesn't surprise me.

Getting back to topic, what value would this device have if it didn't have this particular person's "name" inscribed on (attached to, associated with) it?

Canezmd

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2011
WTF is "white shame"?!?!

I'm supposed to hate myself because **some** white people at some point in time owned slaves? That's just crazy. Just like I don't think I'm the sh** cause another white guy started apple, I don't think I'm a piece of sh** because some other guys did some bad things.

If you studied history you'd know that most African slaves were taken to the Ottoman Empire.... Not America. You'd also know that there was a prolific trade in white European slaves sold to Africa for quite a long time as well.

Bcordova

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
Denver, CO
Just checked out other sites and forums, looks a lot of people believe this is not even remotely useful and I quote "sooooooooooo g.h.e.t.t.o!". :D

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
WTF is "white shame"?!?!

I'm supposed to hate myself because **some** white people at some point in time owned slaves? That's just crazy. Just like I don't think I'm the sh** cause another white guy started apple, I don't think I'm a piece of sh** because some other guys did some bad things.

If you studied history you'd know that most African slaves were taken to the Ottoman Empire.... Not America. You'd also know that there was a prolific trade in white European slaves sold to Africa for quite a long time as well.

Also, very many African slaves in Africa. That's a real argument-killer in some cases.

Last edited:

Canezmd

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2011
OK....So let's give the person who made that comment the benefit of the doubt because this is getting a bit old (even though we both know what they really meant). Care to explain some of these other comments away? Let me remind you:

"Dear Asian Designers,

Signed,

Moi "

and

"I'm pretty sure every Lil Wayne listening hoodrat will sport one of these.... cuz you know, theres gold on it."

and

"..and certain proof that the towering cock jockey is as deluded as I previously assumed." (cramming a bit of homophobia in there as well, just for good measure"

Please explain to me how these comments are OK, and reflect a civilized intelligent critique of a new technology product.

Because every one who listens to little Wayne or wears a hoody is black!?!?

That makes your racist! Plenty of non-black people wear hoodies and listen to little Wayne... Including me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.