Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
We don't have any information on this (as far as I know). But I would assume Apple is going to do it the same way they do iCloud storage. You have to enter a credit card that you want charged every month. In other words, I don't think so. Though that would be really nice.

al0kz

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2013
My iTunes Match subscription fee was deducted from my iTunes balance so I would assume it would be the same for Apple Music.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I currently have a gift card balance on my account but my iCloud payment gets charged to my credit card every month. I'm pretty sure that's the same for my iTunes Match subscription. I'm not sure you can pay for iCloud and iTunes Match with gift cards. I think hey have to have a credit card on file. Gift cards applies only to media purchases at the moment.

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2013
I currently have a gift card balance on my account but my iCloud payment gets charged to my credit card every month. I'm pretty sure that's the same for my iTunes Match subscription. I'm not sure you can pay for iCloud and iTunes Match with gift cards. I think hey have to have a credit card on file. Gift cards applies only to media purchases at the moment.
You can pay for iCloud using gift cards, I've done it.

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
Very cool.

Thanks for the confirmation guys, i think it will be the same for Apple Music too but we will see...

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
You can pay for iCloud using gift cards, I've done it.

My monthly iCloud payments are currently being taken from my iTunes balance - so it is possible.

Not that we need further confirmation, but I only use gift cards for my Apple ID and I pay for my iCloud storage every month with it. It is worth noting that I do not and have not had a credit card associated with my account at any point in time.

hattonna928

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2014
My iCloud storage is payed for with gift cards. I have a card associated with my account if I have to use it but thank goodness for swagbucks so I rarely have to. :) It also paid for my iTunes Match subscription. I assume it will work likewise with  Music as it will probably go through your iTunes account.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
My iCloud storage is payed for with gift cards. I have a card associated with my account if I have to use it but thank goodness for swagbucks so I rarely have to. :) It also paid for my iTunes Match subscription. I assume it will work likewise with  Music as it will probably go through your iTunes account.

Is there a setting for this? I have a balance on my account but iCloud and Match always get charged on my card.

hattonna928

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2014
Is there a setting for this? I have a balance on my account but iCloud and Match always get charged on my card.
Not that I can find... Are your iTunes/iCloud accounts the same? Thats the only thing I can think of that might be cause a problem. Sorry.

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
You must have a credit/debit card attached to your account before signing up to any subscription. After that if you have gift card balance, it will deduct from that first.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I might need to contact support because my account doesn't subtract from my balance.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I suspect that Apple will have an incentive to make the process as easy and familiar as possible.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Well folks, I don't know what to tell you... I just got off the phone with Apple support and they confirmed that there is no way to pay for iCloud or iTunes Match with a gift card. You have to have a card on your account before you can purchase additional iCloud storage or Match.
So you guys may want to check your credit/debit cards. I imagine this will be the case with Apple Music as well. Their reasoning is that since this is a monthly reoccurring charge there's no way for them to make sure that you always have a credit on your account.

mizxco

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Probably.
With iTunes match, you're required to have a cc on file but deducts your iTunes credit before charging your card.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i got a friends US paypal linked to my iTunes account even though i am using gift cards. i guess thats why iTunes Match has been working in the past and hopefully it will be the same for Apple Music

(i am in germany)

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
i got a friends US paypal linked to my iTunes account even though i am using gift cards. i guess thats why iTunes Match has been working in the past and hopefully it will be the same for Apple Music

(i am in germany)

That is not the case for me. Even though I have a balance on my account, the iCloud and Match payments go directly to me card.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
My iTunes Match subscription fee was deducted from my iTunes balance so I would assume it would be the same for Apple Music.

Same here. I would imagine that Apple Music will be the same way in that if you have an iTunes balance, each month it will deduct from that balance.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
Sooooo can someone confirm now that he just used iTunes gift card for subscription?

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
well then I won't be a music subscriber after the 3 months because I refuse to connect a credit card to my iTunes account. my iTunes/icloud email account has NO credit card info connected.

I use a completely separate email/account when making purchases (i.e. iphones)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.