Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radiohed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Portland, ME
I'm not sure if anyone know the answer, but I have a 2010 Mac Mini server that I want to upgrade to Lion when it comes out. The thing is, I don't need any of the server functionality and am hoping I will be able to upgrade to Lion client. I know from reading the forums, that changing the mini server over to the client version of Snow Leopard was not a simple process. I am hoping that it will be easier with Lion. When Lion comes out, I want to format my drives, change my RAID and install the client version. Is that going to be possible without jumping through hoops? :confused:

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
i want to know too. i bought the mini server just cause i thought it was a better value, but i dont need the server part. I'm hoping if i buy lion from app store it will work

PorterRocks

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
Idaho
I would love to get a Mac mini server just so I could utilize the two hard drives and lose the optical drive. I don't need the actual server functionality.

Is this possible?

Last edited:

radiohed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Portland, ME
yes, I ignore all the server software and just use it as a regular mini

But there is some functionality that is not included with SL server that is on the client version. I am currently running SL server on my mini but it does not have the migration assistant. I don't want to pay extra for Lion server and then "ignore" the server functions. I want to run Lion client only.

Minicube

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2011
I don't have a server version, but I can't imagine you would not be able to simply reformat the drives and install Lion. If not, you may need to buy a $30 regular Snow Lep. DVD, install that, and then upgrade to Lion. Anyone know otherwise?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I've got Snow Leopard Server, and have the Lion Developer Preview, including Server. Still there is a certain amount of guesswork as to the shipping product.

As long as you are running 10.6.7 you should be able to install Lion (client) and have all the client OS features. What I'd be unsure about is whether the server features will go away! I've done an upgrade to Lion Server (on an external drive -- I'm not about to install on my running system!) and fresh installs of Lion Client. Everything has worked surprisingly well. But I've got to admit I haven't tried a Snow Leopard Server to Lion Client upgrade. Since Server to Server upgrade is a two step process (first install Lion Client then Server) since Preview 2, I'd expect you could just stop after the first step.

rcp27

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
All the official announcements about Lion suggest that the server version will simply be the regular version with some server type applications on top. It seems to me that there's no reason that you would have to buy/download/run those extra apps if you don't want them.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
Looks like I will just have to wait and see :D

You will be able to run regular Lion on your Mini server. You will have to run a clean install - so during the install process, you'd need to launch Disk Utility, format the drives, and then install Lion client on clean partition.

There is nothing in MacOS client that prevents it from running on a Mini server hardware (or visa versa - MacOS Server can be installed on "non-server" computers).

Undo Redo

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2009
Colorado, USA
Can't wait to see how the install process works with Lion, from a downloaded disk image or whatever. Seems like it'll be quite different than installing from a DVD.

Rivanov

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2010
Netherlands
Mac mini Server is just a normal Mac mini but without the optical drive and with two harddrives. But it's just a normal Mac mini where you can install an client version.

Last edited:

radiohed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Portland, ME
Thanks for the replies. Bring on the Lion!

I still don't know how a clean install is going to work when you download the software from the app store. Wouldn't it need to be put onto disc or a thumb drive in order to do a clean installation?

Last edited:

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
I still don't know how a clean install is going to work when you download the software from the app store. Wouldn't it need to be put onto disc or a thumb drive in order to do a clean installation?

No, if you hold OPTION key down during the boot - it will give an option to boot from Lion install image stored on a hidden partition of your HD. From there, you should be able to run clean install.

radiohed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Portland, ME
For customers wanting OS X Lion Server, it will be available as an add-on for $49.99, in addition to the $29.99 upgrade for standard Lion. Snow Leopard Server is not required to purchase Lion Server, but existing Snow Leopard Server installations can only be upgraded to Lion Server. Both Lion and Lion Server need to be purchased for Snow Leopard Server-equipped machines.

This is from the official announcement. It sounds like I can't upgrade my Mac mini server to client only Lion. I hope that isn't the case. :eek:

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Since upgrading Snow Leopard Server to Lion server is a two step process:
1. Upgrade to Lion ($29)
2. Install Lion Server components ($49)

If you stop after step 1 you should have client Lion. You can ignore or delete the Snow Leopard Server apps that remain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.