Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sweener88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Im EVERYWHERE!
hi,
im going to be attending the apple store opening in toronto ontario on saturday and will be getting my first mac, a macbook pro. will the ones they have instock be of the latest revision? ie. will they have all the problems fixed like ove rheating and wireless not working that the other revisions first sufferd from? or should i wait for them to get out of the "market system"??

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
I would imagine that you would get the most recent one.

Just check the Serial number on the bottom before you buy (or right after you walk out of the store if they don't let you check before buying). :)

slackersonly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
given the fan whine and heat problems, do you think it is possible to express your concern and right after you buy a mac, take it out and run it for a while in the store.
if the stores are being difficult on return with these issues, i would think it best to solve it on the spot.

Sweener88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Im EVERYWHERE!
i know on my last somputer the serial number was on a sticker on the box, if not ill open it when i get out of the store, what is in the serial number that i should i look for?

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
I would say, buy direct from Apple online or over the phone for the latest
revision.

However, if you choose to buy at your local store, talk to the sales manager
before you buy your MBP and try to get a firm commitment that IF your
purchase has any problems AT ALL, that he/she will allow you to exchange it
no questions asked.

No restocking fee etc.

Otherwise tell the store manager that you want your MBP bench tested before
you leave the store.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Personally I will wait a bit more, as it stands Apple was last heard to tried and C&D a site that posted a link to a piece of misinformation found it their MBP service manuals, and until official word is out that the fix is ready I really wouldn't trust them to retroactively fix the current machines that they have all boxed up and sitting in stock.

After all you do want other suckers.. oh I mean Mac users to buy up these potentially troublesome machines right? :D

slyydrr

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2006
The serial number will start with a W86 most likely. The first 5 digits of mineare W8613, the 13 meaning it was built the 13th week of the year. The 4th/5th numbers are the ones you want to refer to for a timeline.

Sweener88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Im EVERYWHERE!
so instead of 13 i want the highest number? and if there is a big problem doesnt apple have to fix it as part of the warrenty?

sunrobby

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2006
Indonesia
i think the problem with MBP is not really related to latest production, yeah maybe latest production have less MBP that have the problem. I just got mine, week 14, and in many forums, some people compaining heat, whine issues on their MBP which is week 14. I live in Indonesia, i got my MBP from local Apple store, and they let me to take a look at the MBP first before purchase it, so at first i noticed that the MBP at the store is a week 14 (week 15 MBP is actually available in US) and they let me play with it for a while, and i performed the hardware test. The hardware test notify an error. So, i let them know, and they got me the second MBP which is week 14 as well (currently there were 2 MBP in stock left) so if this one fails, i will cancel the buy. The second MBP passed the hardware test very well. So that's the MBP i'm holding right now :) When the first MBP fails the hardware test, it gets very hot at the top of the keyboard area (like everyone saying, about the heat problem). But the second one, the one i purchased, have no problem at all. no whine, no heat. So i think the MBP problem is random, eventhough they are at the same weeks in production. I dont know if your local Apple store allow you to play with the MBP before purchase it, like i did. If you purchase from online store, you can't choose. You have to accept the MBP delivered to you. But you can return it if there is a problem though. But it'll take some time. Hope you got the perfect MBP :)

sunrobby

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2006
Indonesia
to perform the hardware test, you need to insert the mac os x cd 1, boot the MBP and hold the 'd' key when it's booting until the hardware test loaded. Then you can just follow the instructions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.