Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sibu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2013
I am new to the ios family, with just a month of use/experience with ios. I just wanted to know whether ios GM versions have any expiry date just like the beta versions? Will the Ios 7 GM have any expiry date? I am asking this because i shall/may not have any internet connection till from Sept 15 till december this year. so in case the ios expires, my device could become unusable.
P.S.: my device is Ipad 4th Gen.

Please, any help would be thankful.

MinEderPlayz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
Because GMs are basically the public release, it won't if I am right.
Only if there is a second GM (e.g. major bug), you should update.

May I ask why you're not going to have internet access?

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
I am new to the ios family, with just a month of use/experience with ios. I just wanted to know whether ios GM versions have any expiry date just like the beta versions? Will the Ios 7 GM have any expiry date? I am asking this because i shall/may not have any internet connection till from Sept 15 till december this year. so in case the ios expires, my device could become unusable.

Might be best to downgrade back to iOS 6 to be on the safe side.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
GMs can't expire because they usually end up being the same as the public release. Wouldn't want the software randomly expiring would you?

Betas have expirations because Apple wants developers running the latest beta.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
Chances are (like every ios prior) GM will be announced at their conference on September 10th, so you should be ok.

sibu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2013
Because GMs are basically the public release, it won't if I am right.
Only if there is a second GM (e.g. major bug), you should update.

May I ask why you're not going to have internet access?

Thank You Sir, for your helpful answer.
I may not ve internet connection because, i will be off to a new place/town in my country, where 3G connectivity is very poor, so it might take some time to arrange internet access.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
GM's do have an expire date, even with the same build number as the final release.

I had the joy last year on Oct, 1st, when my iPhone with iOS6 GM locked itself cause of the passed expiration date. I wasn't home for three days when it happened, so couldn't connect to iTunes to restore it to the "normal" iOS6. No iPhone for three days...

So even when you have the GM installed, when the iOS is released to the public a week or so later, download the .ipcc and update manually. Even if the build of the GM and public release are the same.

sibu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2013
Another doubt!!!!!!
some websites claim(which is supposedly to be a rumor) that ios 7 for IPADS may be delayed due to slow development of ios for ipads and they may release it as 7.0.1 along with release of new version of ipad in some ipad conference in October.

does this mean that even the ios 7 GM version for IPADS will be delayed(or, will it not released on 10th Sept)??

----------

GM's do have an expire date, even with the same build number as the final release.

I had the joy last year on Oct, 1st, when my iPhone with iOS6 GM locked itself cause of the passed expiration date. I wasn't home for three days when it happened, so couldn't connect to iTunes to restore it to the "normal" iOS6. No iPhone for three days...

then what you had to do ??? :confused:
but i guess putting your device into DFU mode must ve worked to restore your device back to the last version of ios 5, or if official version of ios 6 was released, you could ve tried to restore your device the the official final build of ios 6. (IF I AM NOT WRONG)

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
No need to DFU cause the locked device will already ask to USB-connect to iTunes. Google for a direct link to the public .ipcc file, shift-click on "update" in iTunes, choose the file you downloaded, and wait for iTunes to finish.

aka "manual update" to the public build.

And yes, iOS7 may be released only for iPhones and at a later time for iPads. We'll have to wait 'till Sep 10th to know.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Do you know how pissed off people would be, the media backlash, if Apple shipped out handsets that after 30-60 days expired and refused to boot.

The amount of tech support calls, and apple store visits.

That would be monumentally silly.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

So even when you have the GM installed, when the iOS is released to the public a week or so later, download the .ipcc and update manually. Even if the build of the GM and public release are the same.
If the GM is what is installed on the new phones, like the iPhone 5S, how can they have an expiration date given that it will cause ton of people with new phones to suddenly have no access to them. GMs are note beta releases, there are no expiration dates.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida

No they don't. You must be thinking of a beta. Apple loads the GM onto devices when they're manufactured in the factory do they can't expire. There's no need to do anything if the build numbers the same as the public release because they'd be completely identical.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
Do you know how pissed off people would be, the media backlash, if Apple shipped out handsets that after 30-60 days expired and refused to boot.

The amount of tech support calls, and apple store visits.

That would be monumentally silly.

There will be plenty anyway, what with the redesign and all.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I've had an iPhone since day 1.

Been playing with every beta of iPhone OS and now iOS had.

I also thought GM's don't have an expire date.

iOS6 GM proved me wrong when it bricked my 4S on Oct 1st last year. I had to manually update it to the public released version that had the exact same build number to fix it.

So, wether you believe it or not. Please download iOS7 public when it's released and manually use the .ipcc-file.

I cannot foresee the future and maybe the iOS7 GM won't have an expire date, but iOS6 GM update had one, that I can say for 100% sure.

Last edited:

Mr.Chow

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2013
Austria

iOS6 GM proved me wrong when it bricked my 4S on Oct 1st last year. I had to manually update it to the public released version that had the exact same build number to fix it.

So, wether you believe it or not. Please download iOS7 public when it's released and manually use the .ipcc-file.

I cannot foresee the future and maybe the iOS7 GM won't have an expire date, but iOS6 GM OTA update had one, that I can say for 100% sure.

As far as I know the GM release is NOT available OTA.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
was too fast typing the OTA.

Nevertheless, you all do as you please, couldn't care less if your phone ends up showing an iTunes logo and USB-cable one day with the GM installed...

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK

I cannot foresee the future and maybe the iOS7 GM won't have an expire date, but iOS6 GM update had one, that I can say for 100% sure.

You can't say that for sure at all.

Either:

a) You didn't update to the GM
b) Your phone coincidentally broke on that date

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

1. Plenty of nooblets reporting their beta running, un-updated devices expired Oct1 on them: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4380888?start=0&tstart=0

2. 6.0.1 didn't release until Nov 1. Every iPhone out there would have been unusable for the entire month of October.... LOL. That sure as hell didn't happen.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I have always been under the impression it's possible that GMs do have an expiration date. Maybe it's possible the version coming in the new iphones are different avoiding massive amounts of new bricked iPhones?

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
You can't say that for sure at all.

Either:

a) You didn't update to the GM
b) Your phone coincidentally broke on that date

a) I did update to the GM and know that it didn't say that there was an update when it got released to the public.
b) iPhone breaks at midnight on oct, 1st. Sure, can be a coincidence, but I doubt it.

1. Plenty of nooblets reporting their beta running, un-updated devices expired Oct1 on them: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4380888?start=0&tstart=0

2. 6.0.1 didn't release until Nov 1. Every iPhone out there would have been unusable for the entire month of October.... LOL. That sure as hell didn't happen.

1) Check how long I've been registered here on macrumors. I'm not a nooblet. Been running beta's since OS X 10.3 and from the first beta available for iPhone OS. The second a new beta is released I will be on it like a fat lady on a bucket of Ben & Jerry's.
2) And as I stated GM =/= public release. iOS6.0 GM had an expire date where the public release, ofcourse, didn't. I also assumed then that the GM would be identical to the public release due to the fact my GM said that there are no updates and the identical build number on the GM and the public release.

I'm in the military and was on a manouevre during the time and awake all night, the iPhone was working fine and at 1-2ish am during the night it was showing the iTunes logo with the cable, out of the blue. And it wasn't beta 3 nor 4.

But again, feel free to do as you please. Doubt me, question me. I know that when I have the GM installed, I will manually install the public released beta to make sure I don't have the same b$ like with iOS 6.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
a) I did update to the GM and know that it didn't say that there was an update when it got released to the public.
b) iPhone breaks at midnight on oct, 1st. Sure, can be a coincidence, but I doubt it.

1) Check how long I've been registered here on macrumors. I'm not a nooblet. Been running beta's since OS X 10.3 and from the first beta available for iPhone OS. The second a new beta is released I will be on it like a fat lady on a bucket of Ben & Jerry's.
2) And as I stated GM =/= public release. iOS6.0 GM had an expire date where the public release, ofcourse, didn't. I also assumed then that the GM would be identical to the public release due to the fact my GM said that there are no updates and the identical build number on the GM and the public release.

I'm in the military and was on a manouevre during the time and awake all night, the iPhone was working fine and at 1-2ish am during the night it was showing the iTunes logo with the cable, out of the blue. And it wasn't beta 3 nor 4.

But again, feel free to do as you please. Doubt me, question me. I know that when I have the GM installed, I will manually install the public released beta to make sure I don't have the same b$ like with iOS 6.
iOS6 GM did not expire.

GM by definition is what you think of as 'public release'. It is the build that in the weeks prior to launch they spend massive man hours loading into the ROM of millions of iPhone's preparing for launch day. GM is what all these iPhone's shipped with. There was no further update until Nov 1.

----------

Here's you more evidence from a Google search.

So, your beta just expired. Now what?
by Erica Sadun Oct 1st 2012 at 11:00AM
1. Download a GM copy of iOS 6 for your device. You'll find it at developer.apple.com/ios.
http://www.tuaw.com/2012/10/01/so-your-beta-just-expired-now-what/

Sounds like a enough nooblets stayed on iOS6 beta, let it expire on Oct 1. that even TUAW made a guide to help those update to the iOS 6 GM... since it did NOT expire.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland

iOS 6 GM was same as public build as I ran it until the next iOS update came out without expiry. You couldn't OTA update from the last beta to GM, so that's one way to know if you were on GM. Also, if GM had an expiry, then there would always be a different build number to the general release. You're spreading fud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.