Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
The iPad 2 was much thinner and lighter than the iPad 1. The iPad 3 introduced Retina which made people want to upgrade from iPad 2. The iPad Air like the iPad 2 made the design much thinner and lighter. The iPad Air 2 once again made the iPad thinner, lighter, added Touch ID, went from vanilla A7 to A8X, and doubled the RAM.

The jump to iPad 4 from iPad 3 was probably the last model that didn't have people waiting on line to get the new iPad. Will the iPad Air 3 have a modest feeling of wanting to upgrade like the iPad 3 to iPad 4? Because they will probably keep the same amount of RAM, and I can't imagine it getting any more thinner or lighter. Unless they change the design to look like the iPhone 6?

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
It's hard to say what they'll do with the Air 3. I do agree that I doubt they'll bump the ram again. Maybe they'll go with the edge glass like on the 6+, faster processor.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I think the jealousy varies between users. Let me tell you of my experience. I got a 4th generation iPad 2 days before the iPad Air was announced. Don't ask me why I didn't wait, it was pretty much because it was my first proper iOS device. I wasn't jealous at all. The only thing which could have been a deal breaker for me is the weight. And it turns out, my iPad actually performs better on iOS 8. What do you know?
I don't know about the Air 3, if it has better battery life that could be a deal breaker for me.

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
The iPad 3 was the worst iPad release from apple. Adding retina without a good gpu was a really f**up from Apple . How did the fix it? Releasing another iPad with better cpu/gpu a few months later.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
The iPad 3 was the worst iPad release from apple. Adding retina without a good gpu was a really f**up from Apple . How did the fix it? Releasing another iPad with better cpu/gpu a few months later.

I wonder who was the idiot that was involved in that. A lot of people were waiting for a retina screen so they jumped on the 3.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I really hope they don't increase the screen resolution with iPad Air 3 dramatically, that could make it another "iPad 3 situation".

Maybe the A8X and I assume A9X will be enough to handle these resolution changes, I don't know. Just don't want to take any chances as iPad Air 3 could be my next iPad. Already got an underpowered iPad mini 2, don't want an underpowered iPad Air 3 in other words. The translucency on a retina iPad is really taxing, I want to finally get an iPad that doesn't struggle with every slightly translucent UI element.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
The iPad mini 2 has an A7 chip like the iPad Air 1 no? I wasn't aware it was so underpowered. Not when I owned it at least. The Safari refreshes due to the 1GB RAM was the real kicker for me.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
The iPad mini 2 has an A7 chip like the iPad Air 1 no? I wasn't aware it was so underpowered. Not when I owned it at least. The Safari refreshes due to the 1GB RAM was the real kicker for me.

Yes, iPad mini 2 has an A7 chip. Yes, it is underpowered. With iOS 8 everything is pretty stuttery, leaving apps you have been using for awhile stutters pretty bad a lot of the time, rotating with keyboard up, control center with keyboard, Notification Center with keyboard, sliding down for spotlight, turning spotlight, starting Siri... All stutter. Smooth as butter on iPad Air 2.

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
The iPad 3 was a product of the times...

I wonder who was the idiot that was involved in that. A lot of people were waiting for a retina screen so they jumped on the 3.

You have to remember the climate - it was so competitive with Samsung, and Apple was losing iPad market share for the first time. What was Apple's leading edge had been the screen resolution, but by that point, every other tablet had higher resolution. I think they felt they couldn't afford to wait any longer with a competitive screen, even if it was underpowered.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Yes, iPad mini 2 has an A7 chip. Yes, it is underpowered. With iOS 8 everything is pretty stuttery, leaving apps you have been using for awhile stutters pretty bad a lot of the time, rotating with keyboard up, control center with keyboard, Notification Center with keyboard, sliding down for spotlight, turning spotlight, starting Siri... All stutter. Smooth as butter on iPad Air 2.

My iPad mini 2 is running iOS 8 and pretty smooth. There is no reason why it would stutter if the iPad air is running smooth, since they both sport the same specs.

I also can't think how they will improve the iPad air 3. The processor will obviously be faster, though the camera will stay at 8 mp. Unless they can somehow make it even thinner and lighter? Probably will just throw in force touch and call it a day. :p

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
It's actually quite obvious that "next gen iPad envy" doesn't exist or sales would be going up instead of down and the iPad 2 wouldn't be the version with the most users out there.

It takes 2-3 generations before most people even consider getting a case of the "gotta have its". That's the way it is with tablets.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I may be one of the biggest proponents of the iPad. I have 2 and my wife has one. We use them constantly. I may buy the next rMini, but the tech that I'm using now is MORE than ample. I don't need the Air 2 or 3 and I won't need the rMini 4.
Maybe if I screw up and upgrade to iOS 9 and my current tech takes a nosedive in performance, then I might. But, I don't see that happening.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I think apart from the usual spec bump for camera and CPU/GPU, the main "killer" feature will be force-touch.

That also goes for the new "s" iPhones.

Although the iPads may become more iPhone like in design.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
I felt for the iPad 3 trap and we ended up with 2 of them. We also have one iPad 2. the iPad 2 is still performing decently on the latest iOS, but the iPad 3 web experience is horrible. I have been looking to upgrade those to iPad Air 2, but for some odd reasons the iPad Air 2 is still not available in the refurb store. At this point, I am hoping that the iPad Air 3 is a minor upgrade, so this could save me some money by not going with the latest and greatest, and instead I would chose iPad air 2 refurb which should be at some point available for low $300 - same price point as current iPad 4 with retina. For a little more than $100 I could get two nice iPads instead of one new/latest one.

NeilHD

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
I have an iPad 2 and an iPad 3 - I've never felt the need to upgrade to any of the newer models.

Actually, it's really only the kids that use the iPads these days. I got a Macbook Air a year or so back, and have completely switched to that instead for nearly all my uses. The iPhone 6+ does me for my minimal gaming needs and really casual use. The Macbook takes care of everything else. So really, I don't see myself needing another iPad. At least until they both break and the kids are desperate for a new one!

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Because I don't upgrade every year and tend to keep my tech gear for a long time, I hold off buying, read reviews etc, to get what I call evolved things ... Or balanced in terms of features/power. So, I bought the iPad 2 instead of 1, and iPad 4 instead of 3. Both excellent, I still use the iPad 4, gave the 2 to a family member, it still works well.

I replaced the iPad 2 with a refurb iPad Air 1 wifi only even though I didn't like the plastic feel of the screen, it was cheap and serves a specific purpose.

The iPad Air 2 feels 'evolved' to me, with nicer screen and increased RAM, really well balanced, like the 2 and 4 were, and is now my main iPad. No doubt the next one will have some new features, but I doubt I'll be upgrading for a long time.

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
-A9/A9X
-Possibly the curved glass although that would change the form factor again.
-Possibly shave off a graphite layer (pencil ad refrence).
-Force touch hopefully
-Doubtful of an improved Retina HD screen until we have seen this on the rumoured iPad pro first.
-Rumoured 256GB capacity, yet again this I would assume we will see on the Pro first.
-7000 Series or slightly improved grade of Aluminium
-On the off chance the display changed, same resolution AmoLED.
-Rose Gold if the iPhone features it to match said Watch.

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
I think apart from the usual spec bump for camera and CPU/GPU, the main "killer" feature will be force-touch.

That also goes for the new "s" iPhones.

Although the iPads may become more iPhone like in design.

I'd say force touch is only coming to the iPhone this year and iPad will have to wait on more generation. New hardware tricks always come to the iPad a year after the iPhone (see retina display, Touch ID, improved cameras, etc).

Matheew944

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2015
Ipad Pro 2 in 2016!!!! wont upgrade to the Ipad Pro 1 this year!! Ipad refresh is always better

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Ipad Pro 2 in 2016!!!! wont upgrade to the Ipad Pro 1 this year!! Ipad refresh is always better

Yeah I bought an Air 2 at launch so I think I'm gonna sit out the Pro 1 unless it's extremely compelling—which I doubt! The main thing is having pro-quality software. That is lacking from not only Apple but even bigger companies like Adobe who make toy apps (maybe Lightroom being an outlier but still needs full RAW import, etc) and are stopping support of some of their apps like Photoshop Touch.

As for the OP's question, yeah I don't see much they can do with the iPad Air 3, which has me worried that they will put artificial software limits on split-screen multitasking and stuff like that in iOS 9 so that it's iPad Air 3 only. The 2GB of RAM in the iPad Air 2 is plenty for most people for the next couple years in a tablet. The tri-core processor hardly ever gets taxed to the limit. It's also so thin that I don't know if they could put a headphone adapter or buttons on the next version if it's any thinner. Sure there might be a radical redesign coming up in a few years but I doubt that it will come next year.

Here is what I think they could do…

• Quad-core A9X (more likely in the Pro, however)
  • Force Touch
  • Improved Touch ID as the 6S is rumored to get
  • Upgraded FaceTime camera to 1080p
  • Improved camera used in the iPhone 6 with 240fps slow-mo
  • Improved battery life, especially if they don't increase the cores/speed as mentioned above
  • Better speakers, maybe ones that don't vibrate as much
  • 32/64/128/256GB sizes

I think for many people that list isn't very compelling. I think ForceTouch could be cool and a new way to do advanced gestures and potentially be more productive. I think that will be a central focus of the keynote if they can get it to scale up to the size of the iPad properly. If they put in full-blown pressure sensitivity for things like drawing then I'd be quite interested—but they will probably save that for the Pro. As for the rest…who cares? You don't need a beastly processor in an iPad. Maybe a better video chip for gaming…but then again iOS games designed for least common denominator and Apple limits the size to 4GB (only recently increased from 2GB). Better cameras? My iPad Air 2 has a much better camera than my last iPad and I still don't think I've ever actually used it to take a picture aside from the first day I got it. That's what iPhones are for. I suppose if you don't have a smartphone it could be useful but most people do. Improved battery life would be welcome but I rarely run out as it is. You have to use your iPad for a long time away from a charger before hitting that limitation. But again, it's welcome. Better speakers would be welcome but it's a minor gripe and not worth upgrading for. Lastly starting at 32GB could entice some people with older devices, and maxing out at 256GB could pull over a few early upgraders, but I doubt many.

So yeah, I just don't see the next iPad update being very compelling unless Apple has some super secret stuff up their sleeve. Force Touch could be cool but I can wait.

Oh and I don't agree with the OP saying that the jump from the iPad 3 to the iPad 4 was significant. The iPad 3 was way underpowered for that retina display and it showed. It was essentially an iPad 2 under the hood. The iPad 4 was a solid upgrade and made it a much smoother experience. My mom has one that is still going strong and has no inclination to upgrade. The nice thing about it was that it was before 64-bit chips so you get access to the full 1GB of RAM. The A7 was 64-bit which uses 20-30% more memory than a 32-bit chip. The 5-10% performance gain you get from using 64-bit isn't worth the hit you take from laggy apps and crashes from having effectively less RAM. Some of my favorite chips are the A6 and A8X. The A7 in my old Mini 2 and the A8 in my iPhone 6 Plus are laggy bastards without enough RAM. I honestly miss my iPhone 5 and I'm looking forward to the A9 in the 6S which should have enough RAM. The A8X is a dream too. Just the other day I was amazed because I had used my Air 2 all day long at work with Duet which makes an external display for my iMac, used it to check email and take notes in a meeting and reply to some iMessages, then when I got home I was browsing the app store and installed some updates, checked my order status in the Apple Store app and watched a YouTube video someone sent me. Went back to Safari and it still had the page loaded I was last looking at THE DAY BEFORE opened in the tab with it scrolled to where I had last left off. No reloading or anything. Now sometimes it does reload over time, or if you open more than 12-15 tabs, but nothing like my 6 Plus that can't even check email or iMessages without reloading my Safari tab and losing anything I type into a form, such as MacRumors or wherever.

Matheew944

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2015
I think the Force Touch feature will in 2016 Ipad, want a example?
Ipad Air 1 dont have touch id, while the 5s have touch id
Ipad Air 2 has touch id and much more

SO

Iphone 6s will have force touch , but the rumored Ipad Pro 1 wont have
So, we will have to wait one more year to get a Ipad with force touch,which will be in 2016. and we will see the A10X, .

I made the upgrade from an Ipad 4 , which was slow, to an Air 2, feels different... I usually upgrade every 2 years... dont need to buy every year....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.