Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poblack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
As a devoted iphone user since day 1, I'm worried the next iphone will not meet expectations.

Let's be honest, the Samsung Galaxy is awsome. I tried it out my co-workers galaxy and I was amazed on how cool it is and the features it has. This is now the standard and if Apple doesn't (at the minimum) meet it then they will continue to lose market space in that sector.

I honestly think Apple dropped the ball on the 4S. Its should have had a bigger screen, it's own maps app, and a better home screen interface along with SIRI. Now they have to catch up to Samsung and HTC.

This new phone has to be game changer.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
As a devoted iphone user since day 1, I'm worried the next iphone will not meet expectations.

Let's be honest, the Samsung Galaxy is awsome. I tried it out my co-workers galaxy and I was amazed on how cool it is and the features it has. This is now the standard and if Apple doesn't (at the minimum) meet it then they will continue to lose market space in that sector.

I honestly think Apple dropped the ball on the 4S. Its should have had a bigger screen, it's own maps app, and a better home screen interface along with SIRI. Now they have to catch up to Samsung and HTC.

I had the s3 for a little over a week, and after the initial "this is a nice change" wore off, I realized how much better the iphone really is, at least to me. The most important things a phone can do, Apple does best. I mean visual voicemail....hello google...it is 2012

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Probably not, and not because the phone will be bad. People's expectations for new tech have just been blown WAY out of proportion. People want the moon in the palm of their hand and they don't want to see any change in price.

Which is somewhat problematic.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
The most important things a phone can do, Apple does best. I mean visual voicemail....hello google...it is 2012

Most carriers have apps for visual voicemail for free on Google play. I have the AT&T one and it functions pretty much exactly as the iPhone does.

So name the other things that iPhone does "best". I'm waiting... :p A week is not enough time to compare.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Most carriers have apps for visual voicemail for free on Google play. I have the AT&T one and it functions pretty much exactly as the iPhone does.

So name the other things that iPhone does "best". I'm waiting... :p A week is not enough time to compare.

att one is not available on the nexus w/ Jelly bean b.c it is not offically out via att. The others I have tried do not work either and i shouldn't have to pay for that feature.

The other things it does better:
-never crashes
-Email, by a mile
-Texting/keyboard (swiftkey is ok, but not iphone good)
-browsing (safari works better than chrome and jellybean is HTML5 only, so flash is irrelevant)

I will say multi tasking and google now are really really good, and obviously navigation is better with google maps built in, but navigation is not an every day feature for me, and ios siri could be on par

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Probably not, and not because the phone will be bad. People's expectations for new tech have just been blown WAY out of proportion. People want the moon in the palm of their hand and they don't want to see any change in price.

Agreed. Many people, especially those that hang out at forums like this, have such high expectations that there is no way Apple can meet them.

Twixt

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012

We dont ask for holograms or fuel cells yet...
Larger screen with better res, faster CPU and GPU, more RAM and flash are just specs bumps NOT innovations...
NFC could be one!
LTE is not.
So people are note asking for crazy things, AAPL is in the process of milking its markets infusing as less innovation as possible and pricing it the high way!

And I highly doubt iphone 5 will meet expectations...

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK

Catch up? sweet jesus. The Only people Apple have to improve on are themselves. They are doing that with each release.

The next iPhone and iOS6 should be enough for anyone with any sense to accept and upgarde.

Haha. I agree with this. Everyone's an expert these days.

----------

Larger screen with better res, faster CPU and GPU, more RAM and flash are just specs bumps NOT innovations...
NFC could be one!
LTE is not.
So people are note asking for crazy things, AAPL is in the process of milking its markets infusing as less innovation as possible and pricing it the high way!

And I highly doubt iphone 5 will meet my expectations...

fixed that for you

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010

This! A thousand times THIS!

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA

This concept of a "game changer" is a product of Apple Hype.

The next model will be nothing more than a recycled design stretched out just enough for Apple to make the claim it's screen is 4".

Even at 16:9 which is their rumored target, it's a rather wacky size. Another row of icons is not going to do anything of significance.

Now long in tooth, a three year old design that Apple continues to use with the same flat front and back, I'm very surprised that this is what is so heavily rumored and quite likely be what Apple ships.

There's no way I'm paying for something billed as "New Model" when it looks the same and only has a few additional features.

Apple is in an envious position since they know they can serve up the same old phone and sell them in such large quantities, they can barely keep up.

In the industry it's known as profit taking, since the cost to make this new phone will be nearly exactly the same as the old one. At a glance you won't even be able to tell the difference.

The sooner they get these out, get them sold, and move on to the next one, the more it will help to restore some of my trust in Apple.

At some point in time, they are bound to cave in and build something new, fresh and befitting of the exemplary style that J. Ive typically creates.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
NFC could be one!
LTE is not.

And I highly doubt iphone 5 will meet expectations...

LTE and NFC are not what I'm talking about. There was a guy on here yesterday talking about a 21MP shooter, 4k video rear and 720p on the front. That's more what I'm talking about.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
-never crashes
-Email, by a mile
-browsing (safari works better than chrome and jellybean is HTML5 only, so flash is irrelevant)

-The iPhone does crash. It's rare, but apps do crash, and the phone does freeze. Every now and then I've also experienced oddities like missing icons, or weird folder hangups/lag.
-I couldn't disagree more. Mail on iOS is appallingly bad. No attachments, no threaded messaging, cumbersome to use multiple accounts (the "All Mail" only shows the Inbox). Gmail is leagues better than Mail.
-Also couldn't disagree more. The iOS keyboard is outdated and fails to keep up with my thumbing speeds. There are constantly missed keys, and terrible autcorrections.
-This can go either way, but Chrome still edges out Safari, in my opinion. It allows for more tabs, swipe between tabs, and is blazingly fast on the Nexus (not sure if it's as fast as Safari on iOS).

You have your opinions and preferences, but I just thought it's interesting that the things you listed as "best" are actually what I feel stock Android does better/best.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
iPhone doesn't have to be close to a Game Changer.

LTE will provide a substantial speed upgrade especially for Verizon customers.
iOS 6.0 will feel immediately familiar to all current iOS users but there will be a lot of little delights in the system to keep people happy (Turn by Turn, better stores, improved Siri)

A larger screen will also help. The .5 inch difference will be just enough to keep most iPhone users happy. 3.5 is just a bitt too small but 4" is still comfortable IMO.

The Galaxy is nice but a lot of people don't want such a huge phone.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
The next gen iPhone will do fine, in my opinion. Generally speaking, there will be three groups: 1) People who will love the iPhone no matter what. I think this is the majority. 2) People who will complain, but eventually give in and get the new iPhone because they're dedicated to iOS. 3) People who will be so disappointed that they will move onto other platforms. This last group, in my opinion, will be people who have been considering the change long before the new iPhone is revealed.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I think it will be tough for Apple if they want to keep such a high profit margin.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth

Considering that the 4S broke records in sales despite not having a larger screen or a different homescreen UI kind of refutes your notion that they have to play catchup. I'm encouraged that you feel like it has to be a game changer considering how incorrect you were on your first assertion.

Some of you don't seem to understand consumers at large. Simplicity is really the driving force behind Apple and it is Samsung and others that have to prove their phones appeal to more than blind people who need huge phones and geeks that waste time customizing to the nth degree.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
att one is not available on the nexus w/ Jelly bean b.c it is not offically out via att. The others I have tried do not work either and i shouldn't have to pay for that feature.

-never crashes
-Email, by a mile

I will say multi tasking and google now are really really good, and obviously navigation is better with google maps built in, but navigation is not an every day feature for me, and ios siri could be on par

My S3 has never crashed even once so far, but it's just been a few weeks. My iPhone HARDLY ever crashed, but it did occasionally, but that's judging over a much longer period of time.

I'm not sure why you say that Apple email is better - I really don't see much difference. Explain.

In terms of keyboards - are you kidding me? You can get like 50 different keyboards for Android. Some are phenominally better than the iPhone. and with a bigger screen, certainly much easier to type on. And most are skinnable, meaning that you can get an iPhone like skin if that suits your fancy. :)

Browsers are very similar to me - I don't really see any issues with Chrome. How does safari "work" better?

I can't speak for visual voicemail working on 4.1 as I'm using ICS. But it works 100% perfect on my S3 and it's free, so no issue for me. Plus, in your original post you said you tried an S3 and the iPhone was a lot better than that (which should be the point of comparison then), not a Nexus, so which is it? :)

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I would like to see the next iPhone (if it is, in fact, this stretched thing we've been seeing) result in disappointing sales for Apple. It might light a decent fire under their bums.

Don't expect either to happen though. There still isn't decent competition out there yet: The GSIII looks awful, design-wise and while the One X looks incredible, it's limited by only having 16gig (about 10 of which is available).

So, it may not meet expectations, but I'm sure it will meet and/or exceed sales forecasts.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
My S3 has never crashed even once so far, but it's just been a few weeks. My iPhone HARDLY ever crashed, but it did occasionally, but that's judging over a much longer period of time.

I'm not sure why you say that Apple email is better - I really don't see much difference. Explain.

In terms of keyboards - are you kidding me? You can get like 50 different keyboards for Android. Some are phenominally better than the iPhone. and with a bigger screen, certainly much easier to type on. And most are skinnable, meaning that you can get an iPhone like skin if that suits your fancy. :)

Browsers are very similar to me - I don't really see any issues with Chrome. How does safari "work" better?

I can't speak for visual voicemail working on 4.1 as I'm using ICS. But it works 100% perfect on my S3 and it's free, so no issue for me. Plus, in your original post you said you tried an S3 and the iPhone was a lot better than that (which should be the point of comparison then), not a Nexus, so which is it? :)

I prefer the nexus to the s3 b.c I like having the newest OS available. The s3 still didn't feel as polished as the iphone to me. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact i have a little apple eco system (appletv and a mac too) and everything works perfect. The nexus Q is horrid and makes the eco system impossible....not the phones fault, but an issue i have with syncing.

Email i am referring to the default app (more than just gmail since i have a yahoo account too). It is horrid at searching archives and just looks like hell....sizing is bad and just flat out ugly. I do agree with another poster than attachments is a huge issue with the IOS email.

What visual voicemail app are you using? I tried one and it didn't work and the ATT one is not an option on JB.

poblack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
Considering that the 4S broke records in sales despite not having a larger screen or a different homescreen UI kind of refutes your notion that they have to play catchup. I'm encouraged that you feel like it has to be a game changer considering how incorrect you were on your first assertion.

Some of you don't seem to understand consumers at large. Simplicity is really the driving force behind Apple and it is Samsung and others that have to prove their phones appeal to more than blind people who need huge phones and geeks that waste time customizing to the nth degree.

Incorrect? I don't think so buddy.

Sales of iphone 4S were large because:

1. A number of folks, including myself, had iPhone 3G's that didn't support the current iOS. We were forced to upgrade and many chose the latest and greatest.
2. People where holding out because they thought the 4S was going to be the "5" with a new form factor. They decided to get the 4S anyway because of my next point
3. SIRI was hyped up and got people excited but currently has failed to meet many expectations. How ofter do you use it? For me, not often. Only when I'm driving and need to look up an number and call somewhere.
4. Competitor phones were not as good as they are now
5. More countries started carrying the iPhone

Let's do this. Mark this post and lets see the numbers after 1st Qtr.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Incorrect? I don't think so buddy.

Sales of iphone 4S were large because:

1. A number of folks, including myself, had iPhone 3G's that didn't support the current iOS. We were forced to upgrade and many chose the latest and greatest.
2. People where holding out because they thought the 4S was going to be the "5" with a new form factor. They dicided to get the 4S anyway because of my next point
3. SIRI was hyped up and got people excited but currently has faild to meet many expectations. How ofter do you use it? For me, now often. Only when I'm driving and need to look up an number and call somewhere.

Let's do this. Mark this post and lets see the numbers after 1st Qtr.

1 As you should have the 3G was slow.
2. Only those that followed rumors thought a redesign was coming.
3. I don't have a 4S. Some rely on it some don't. Camera update was big
4. They're still not good. Most Androids are running lame OS 2.3
5. And carriers. I wouldn't be surprised if T-Mobile gets the "5"

All it's going to take is a new iOS 6 version. LTE and a slightly larger screen and people are going to be all over the iPhone like stink on shiza.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
2. People where holding out because they thought the 4S was going to be the "5" with a new form factor. They decided to get the 4S anyway because of my next point
3. SIRI was hyped up and got people excited but currently has failed to meet many expectations. How ofter do you use it? For me, not often. Only when I'm driving and need to look up an number and call somewhere.

1. The iPhone 3G had a 412 mHz processor and 128MB of RAM. You should be thankful it didn't support anything after 4.2.1.

2. Like nuckinfutz said, people saw RUMORS of a 5 and thus assumed the next iPhone was going to be a huge redesign. People were let down because they bought into the rumors even though Apple said absolutely nothing about a new iPhone until the October 4th event.

3. I don't see how it failed to meet expectations when it does exactly what Apple said it does at the 4S keynote. It's not for everyone so you can't really say "it's didn't meet anyone's expectations" when some people use / like it and some people don't.

4. That may be true, but people still like the simplicity of iOS and the iPhone. People will continue to buy iPhones for a long time because of the fact that they work without a hitch.

5. So did more carriers as nuckin said.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I personally think that the 4S is a superb phone, the camera is absolutely brilliant, Apple will do very well to make many upgrades, although I do expect them too. Will it meet up to expectations, I think it will, I think that we will be pleasantly surprised, I think that it will be completely different from the stretched iPhone 4 that has been extensively championed. Im looking forward to it.

Some photos I took with iPhone 4S, I can't match them with my SG3S at the moment but will do once I have mastered it.

IMG_1686-1.jpg

IMG_1680.jpg

IMG_1714.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.