Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

that be me

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
For those trying to fix this without a trip to the Apple Store, have you tried the "massaging"method or the "Suction cup" method? Any results?

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Honestly if it gets better overtime than good. If it does get worse over time than just use your one year warranty and get another. By then the refurbished ones should be better.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Beware that some of this may be your eyes playing tricks on you. I have a tiny blemish on my 6s Plus, however now my eyes are tricking me into seeing the same on my iPad Air 2, despite it not actually existing on there.

Bit like thinking your screen is yellow when you look at the settings app with the green icons of cellular, personal hotspot, carrier, phone, messages and FaceTime on the screen.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

mr_blanket

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2015
I have the issue. It was super annoying, especially on Facebook where the dark shadow at the bottom left bleeds in to whatever picture you are looking at.

Took it to the Apple Store, they drew rectangles around the issue and hooked me up with a brand new iPhone 6S+ gold 128.

MusicEnthusiast

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Los Angeles
Has anyone's exchanges been perfect so far, without a blemish? I might try an Apple store to see what there is to offer...

EDIT: Just set a Genius Bar appointment at 4:50 pm on Friday, the 9th just in case. This will be the 14th day I've owned the phone.

Last edited:

db0227

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Has anyone's exchanges been perfect so far, without a blemish? I might try an Apple store to see what there is to offer...

I swapped my Silver 6s Plus on 9/29. Both devices had the blemish, although the second one was a bit less noticeable. Now returned that device back to T-Mobile and placed an order for a SG 6s Plus. Hoping the 2-4 week backorder is enough time for Apple to correct the issue in a new manufacturing run. Not holding my breath though.

MusicEnthusiast

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Los Angeles
I swapped my Silver 6s Plus on 9/29. Both devices had the blemish, although the second one was a bit less noticeable. Now returned that device back to T-Mobile and placed an order for a SG 6s Plus. Hoping the 2-4 week backorder is enough time for Apple to correct the issue in a new manufacturing run. Not holding my breath though.

Thanks for this info.

I wonder... can Apple open the phone on the spot and quality-check it with me before I walk out?

db0227

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Thanks for this info.

I wonder... can Apple open the phone on the spot and quality-check it with me before I walk out?

I don't see why not. The only thing that can't be done at this point is replacing the screen only, which is why all Genius Bar replacements are brand new, not refurbished.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
People who say they dont' have it probably have the slightest version of it. The one video that someone posted though with literally a dark spot in the top left corner that to me is crazy. Otherwise the pics in here dont' show anything crazy..

Sanlitun

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Returned my second 6S+ today and got a Silver 128 6S+.

This one is a good as it gets as the display is consistent in the top and bottom right corners and the blemish is almost imperceptible. If you ran your phone brighter than I do the screen would be pretty much perfect. Pretty much, as it is still not as good as the display on the 6+.

Also this one has the TSMC chip, so I guess all of my obsessive compulsions are now satisfied.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Returned my second 6S+ today and got a Silver 128 6S+.

This one is a good as it gets as the display is consistent in the top and bottom right corners and the blemish is almost imperceptible. If you ran your phone brighter than I do the screen would be pretty much perfect. Pretty much, as it is still not as good as the display on the 6+.

Also this one has the TSMC chip, so I guess all of my obsessive compulsions are now satisfied.
What chip?

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
I've checked six 6s Pluses owned by myself, family, and friends.

They all have the little blemish on the lower left.

Annoyingly I now notice it, haha!

Should stay away from this forum! :p

bheathain

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2015
I've checked six 6s Pluses owned by myself, family, and friends.

They all have the little blemish on the lower left.

Annoyingly I now notice it, haha!

Should stay away from this forum! :p

Check your friends' phones, but don't point it out to them. You don't want to spread the insanity and give them buyer's remorse. ;)

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Check your friends' phones, but don't point it out to them. You don't want to spread the insanity and give them buyer's remorse. ;)

*looks at friend's phone*

"Oh wow yeah I was thinking of getting the gold one yeah it looks nice"

*sees obvious blemish, hands it back*

"Yeah no it's great, so nice, great screen!"

Hahaha

Reactions: bheathain

crawltochina

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2015
My 6S+ 128 GB also has the blemish, but on the left and right hand side. The one on the left is almost unnoticable but the one on the right is like the ones i've seen here in this thread on some pictures. It's not obvious but quite noticable when scrolling webpages. Do you think exchanging the phone and getting one with only one blemish is worth the hussle? I'm not that sure. But on the other hand i do see it all the time...

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
So I returned my Silver 64 GB 6S+ last week due to this issue and dark corners. Despite thinking that I was going to wait a while before getting another phone, I picked up one today when one of the local Apple stores got some stock.

At this time I gather I have seen more than 50 6S+ in the various Apple stores and they all have the blemish to one degree or another. The phone I just got still has a slight blemish, but the screen consistency is much better than the last I had. So far I would say that this is one of the best 6S+ screens I have seen.

To my eyes it seems that the 6S+ has a problem with the display not appearing flat. It bends slightly away in the bottom left and depending on what angle you are holding the phone the problem is more or less severe, with it being best looking head on. It looks like the glass is distorting the image ever so slightly, and I'm finding that there is something unpleasant and fatiguing about this display as compared to my old 6+ display.

As well as the distortion there is a slight color temperature and contrast change which makes it look like the gamma is too low.

I thought initially that I would keep this 6S+, but now I am not so sure. These things are $1300 here in Canada and it's not reasonable to be uncertain at that price. I feel that Apple will probably silently resolve this, but that resolution may leave current owners out in the cold.

Anyways here is a comparison pic. Like I said it's one of the best 6S+ screens I have seen so far. You can figure out which is which.

View attachment 589925
I am glad I do not suffer from this amount of OCD. I cannot see a difference between the 2.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
I showed someone my phone and one person saw a little something but others saw nothing. This forum makes me crazy lol. Wish I never saw this thread. By the way I don't see a difference either between those pics.

Sanlitun

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
I am glad I do not suffer from this amount of OCD. I cannot see a difference between the 2.

I was extremely disappointed on launch day to get my $1300 phone out of the box and lay it next to my old 6+ only to see right away that it had dark corners and the blemish shadow. The display was visibly inferior to the older phone and it was a big let down after all of the hype.

Apple must know the displays are not as good on the new phones, but they sent them out anyways. I feel a bit cheated by this, especially at the silly prices the phones go for. I don't think it's all OCD on my part, but rather there is a bit of consumer anger involved as well.

The picture I posted is of my second phone which was the best screen we had seen here on a 6S+, but it still had darker corners and the pinched glass blemish. The picture doesn't really do it justice to what you see in the hand or at any angle.

Anyways I ended up getting a phone I can live with now, and it is so much better than the first two I feel the effort was worth it and would recommend that anyone who is unhappy do the same and clearly tell Apple why.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
I was extremely disappointed on launch day to get my $1300 phone out of the box and lay it next to my old 6+ only to see right away that it had dark corners and the blemish shadow. The display was visibly inferior to the older phone and it was a big let down after all of the hype.

Apple must know the displays are not as good on the new phones, but they sent them out anyways. I feel a bit cheated by this, especially at the silly prices the phones go for. I don't think it's all OCD on my part, but rather there is a bit of consumer anger involved as well.

The picture I posted is of my second phone which was the best screen we had seen here on a 6S+, but it still had darker corners and the pinched glass blemish. The picture doesn't really do it justice to what you see in the hand or at any angle.

Anyways I ended up getting a phone I can live with now, and it is so much better than the first two I feel the effort was worth it and would recommend that anyone who is unhappy do the same and clearly tell Apple why.
Your blemish in the photos isnt really noticeable though. Unless it doesn't translate well but. It's not worth risk of getting something worse.

Sanlitun

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.