Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
As this thread turns past 2800 posts, I'd like to say it's been the most amusing reading in recent history on any forum I follow.

I wonder what happened to the OP? :D

Honestly, I think this thread could have probably ended around post #4 or #6 (the latter being my fav).

Rock on though. I'm guessing this thread will hit 5000 posts before it expires.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Right, but you do?

So since Apple is clueless, and you are not, what CPU's should they put in the MacPro? Which ones are significantly faster than what's currently in there?

I think he's wanting them to put in their mobile processors since the Geekbench scores are so comparable to desktop ones...lol. Apple has no clue?!? We know who's really clueless.

Hackintoshes run circles around any Apple branded Macintosh. Better yet, they cost about half the price. If you're willing to spend a bit of time learning how to do the install, there's no excuse not to have one.

If your also willing to invest the time to troubleshoot when a system update breaks various parts of the system. Great for hackers, not so much if you rely on it to make a living.

Last edited:
Reactions: zephonic

Kpjoslee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
I guess this back and forth argument won't be over until Apple abandons the current design of MP and back to old cMP style lol.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
I guess this back and forth argument won't be over until Apple abandons the current design of MP and back to old cMP style lol.

Not really. People complained even when the classic Mac Pro was still being sold by Apple. People will always complain about something, no matter how ludicrous it may be.

Kpjoslee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Not really. People complained even when the classic Mac Pro was still being sold by Apple. People will always complain about something, no matter how ludicrous it may be.

Well, nothing wrong with complaining. It is certainly better than mindlessly preaching in happy tune on whatever Apple comes out with lol.
I do think we wouldn't see this many people complaining about nMP if Apple kept updating it with latest Intel Xeons n AMD GPUs.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Well, nothing wrong with complaining. It is certainly better than mindlessly preaching in happy tune on whatever Apple comes out with lol.
I do think we wouldn't see this many people complaining about nMP if Apple kept updating it with latest Intel Xeons n AMD GPUs.

Its certainly better then mindlessly complaining in a bad tune whenever Apple comes out with something new. See what I mean? Neither points of view are helpful. Its somewhere in between. I don't care if its criticism, but if it constantly distracts from the topic or does not bring anything new or informative. I do give a little leeway to Apple products as its not a Windows or Android centric site.

Kpjoslee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Its certainly better then mindlessly complaining in a bad tune whenever Apple comes out with something new. See what I mean? Neither points of view are helpful. Its somewhere in between. I don't care if its criticism, but if it constantly distracts from the topic or does not bring anything new or informative. I do give a little leeway to Apple products as its not a Windows or Android centric site.

Agreed.

While keeping current design (well, I don't think Apple will go back to cMP design), I think it will be better if they provide Dual CPU n 1 GPU in there instead of single GPU n dual GPU while providing external connector with full PCIe speed enabling up to 4 GPUs via external enclosure.
It probably won't happen, but it certainly will cater to pros requiring far more computational resources.

Reactions: mrxak and JamesPDX

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Its certainly better then mindlessly complaining in a bad tune whenever Apple comes out with something new.

I guess then that you missed the point of this thread.

nMP was announced in June 2013, at which point the GPUs were already going on 2 years old. And here we are MORE THEN 2 YEARS LATER, without so much as a shinier case or thinner xxxx. Meanwhile, the GPUs are literally just a couple weeks away from being 4 YEARS OLD. (Get your Ice Cream and cake ready. Who's getting the candles?)

So, the problem at this point isn't that people complain about new Apple products, the problem is that Apple hasn't 'come out with something new'.

Reactions: JamesPDX

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
I guess then that you missed the point of this thread.

nMP was announced in June 2013, at which point the GPUs were already going on 2 years old. And here we are MORE THEN 2 YEARS LATER, without so much as a shinier case or thinner xxxx. Meanwhile, the GPUs are literally just a couple weeks away from being 4 YEARS OLD. (Get your Ice Cream and cake ready. Who's getting the candles?)

So, the problem at this point isn't that people complain about new Apple products, the problem is that Apple hasn't 'come out with something new'.

Seems you missed the point of my last post. Well anyway, when the nMP was in development they chose what was the most current Graphic cards at the time. Since workstations and its parts are on a much longer development cycle. Now we have Xeons using different sockets and new Firepro cards. Its not unusual for the Mac Pro to go longer then two years before updates. Even your beloved classic Mac Pro.

Simon R.

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2006
Seems you missed the point of my last post. Well anyway, when the nMP was in development they chose what was the most current Graphic cards at the time. Since workstations and its parts are on a much longer development cycle. Now we have Xeons using different sockets and new Firepro cards. Its not unusual for the Mac Pro to go longer then two years before updates. Even your beloved classic Mac Pro.

That is downright wrong. The only time the Mac Pro has had 2 years+ refresh is between then 2010 and 2012. This is around the time Apple clearly stopped caring about its pro line. So from 2010 till 2015 there has now been TWO updates. And the nMP is close to hitting the same two year refresh time the old one did from 2010 to 2012 - and if it doesn't refresh this year, it will AGAIN be the longest between updates. So... updates will be further and further apart - maybe three years this time, maybe 4 years next time, who knows. And even if CPU gains are not as big as they used to be, that is no excuse for not updating them + new TB + new RAM standards + new GPU's etc etc.... This is not because Apple CAN'T do a good, solid update, it's because they won't - there is no money in it and that is all that matters for Apple now.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Seems you missed the point of my last post.

You're right, I completely missed the point.

KPjoslee said "Well, nothing wrong with complaining. It is certainly better than mindlessly preaching in happy tune on whatever Apple comes out with lol."

And your response was "Its certainly better then mindlessly complaining in a bad tune whenever Apple comes out with something new."

What is "new" about 6,1 running 2013 tech and 2011 GPUs? I thought the point of this thread was looking forward to getting updates on those old parts? Certainly complaining about these things being old 28 months after announcement isn't being unreasonable, is it?

Or should we all be "mindlessly preaching in happy tune on whatever Apple comes out with lol"? Was that your point?

That is downright wrong. The only time the Mac Pro has had 2 years+ refresh is between then 2010 and 2012. This is around the time Apple clearly stopped caring about its pro line. So from 2010 till 2015 there has now been TWO updates. And the nMP is close to hitting the same two year refresh time the old one did from 2010 to 2012 - and if it doesn't refresh this year, it will AGAIN be the longest between updates. So... updates will be further and further apart - maybe three years this time, maybe 4 years next time, who knows. And even if CPU gains are not as big as they used to be, that is no excuse for not updating them + new TB + new RAM standards + new GPU's etc etc.... This is not because Apple CAN'T do a good, solid update, it's because they won't - there is no money in it and that is all that matters for Apple now.

And that will be a BINGO ! But you will be called out for not "mindlessly preaching in happy tune on whatever Apple comes out with lol". (I'm really starting to like that quote, has a nice ring to it)

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
That is downright wrong. The only time the Mac Pro has had 2 years+ refresh is between then 2010 and 2012

So there you go, you just verified my statement, thanks.

You're right, I completely missed the point.

Thanks for also verifying my post.

Agreed.

While keeping current design (well, I don't think Apple will go back to cMP design), I think it will be better if they provide Dual CPU n 1 GPU in there instead of single GPU n dual GPU while providing external connector with full PCIe speed enabling up to 4 GPUs via external enclosure.
It probably won't happen, but it certainly will cater to pros requiring far more computational resources.

If I were to guess, they will still keep the Dual GPU option. But add a new updated GPU similar to the W9100 at a higher price and get rid of D300 and make the D500 the new base model dual GPU.

Last edited:

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
So there you go, you just verified my statement, thanks.
Thanks for also verifying my post.
If I were to guess, they will still keep the Dual GPU option. But add a new updated GPU similar to the W9100 at a higher price and get rid of D300 and make the D500 the new base model dual GPU.

Hey, when you have nothing real to add, just blame everyone else, right?

These are good, solid questions and you are ignoring them. Very Apple like.

And if D500 becomes the "NEW base model GPU" then 2011 tech gets moved into 2016? See, you still aren't getting what "new" means I see. (Hint #1, check title of thread, if people want a NEW thing, will a warmed over leftover really please them?)

Would you like a Wikipedia link? Merriam's?

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Hey, when you have nothing real to add, just blame everyone else, right?

These are good, solid questions and you are ignoring them. Very Apple like.

And if D500 becomes the "NEW base model GPU" then 2011 tech gets moved into 2016? See, you still aren't getting what "new" means I see. (Hint #1, check title of thread, if people want a NEW thing, will a warmed over leftover really please them?)

Would you like a Wikipedia link? Merriam's?

Oops, you right. More of an updated model for the base configuration. I guess I have to throw you a biscuit sometime.

Talking about ignoring good solid questions...You never seemed to answer my questions on using unsupported graphic cards in the classic Mac Pro's or workstation GPU's are not necessary using the same consumer versions. I noticed you seem to avoid certain questions, even when directed toward you. Oh, and no wikipedia links needed.

Last edited:

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Oops, you right. More of an updated model for the base configuration. I guess I have to throw you a biscuit sometime.

Talking about ignoring good solid questions...You never seemed to answer my questions on using unsupported graphic cards in the classic Mac Pro's or workstation GPU's are not necessary using the same consumer versions. I noticed you seem to avoid certain questions, even when directed toward you.

I don't recall any such questions, please link me back to them so I can answer them for you.

Unsupported PC Cards have had driver support since 10.7.3, thread in the stickies. Use the scroll bar to go upwards, I can explain anything you can't work out.

If you haven't updated to El Cap you may be surprised to find that 570s with no EFI may now support 2 DVI outputs. Can't confirm, all mine have EFI.

"Workstation" cards are the same as "consumer" cards in OSX, sorry if you never figured that out. At least in Windows they get special drivers (when they have special device ids).

I don't recall you ever asking any actual questions about either topic, just some snarky insinuations, so I apologize if you had serious questions.

Even the above paragraph seems rather difficult to make sense of. Seems rather jumbled and confused. Perhaps your spell checker mangled it a bit?

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008

It's certainly an issue but they pulled the same thing with cMP, so it's not a nMP-unique issue. Main complaint most of us have is they made unnecessary compromises with the machine. That you have nearly nonexistent internal expansion options, compromised computing power, have to buy expensive, messy peripherals just to achieve functional parity with the cMP - all to achieve something very low on the priority list of professionals who would use the machine, it being "lighter" "more power efficient" "smaller" "thinner" "prettier" - ALL of which are negated (and then some) with the rat's nest of peripherals attached to the machine, so the entire purpose defeats itself.

Mac-Pro-v-Old-Mac-Pro.jpg

Sums it up in one image, really.

jimj740

macrumors regular
As this thread turns past 2800 posts, I'd like to say it's been the most amusing reading in recent history on any forum I follow.

I wonder what happened to the OP? :D

Honestly, I think this thread could have probably ended around post #4 or #6 (the latter being my fav).

Rock on though. I'm guessing this thread will hit 5000 posts before it expires.

It is a mere infant... https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/the-new-mac-mini-is-almost-certainly-coming.1681773/page-226

Interestingly enough a parallel thread where a devoted group of owners perceive the newest generation mac mini to be a step backwards.

-JimJ

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Sums it up in one image, really.

heh.. you're using a composite image made by someone with similar views as you to sum up your thoughts..
that's fine but it's not a photograph.. it's a composite. it's not real.

surely, after 2 years of nmp sales, you can find at least one real photograph showing the rat's nest.. or can't you?

Kpjoslee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
heh.. you're using a composite image made by someone with similar views as you to sum up your thoughts..
that's fine but it's not a photograph.. it's a composite. it's not real.

surely, after 2 years of nmp sales, you can find at least one real photograph showing the rat's nest.. or can't you?

While that image is certainly not real, but it pretty much represents biggest shortcomings of nMP. It no longer represents elegant solution if you keep adding stuff via external solution compared to cMP where it could be kept internally.
But most likely if the one had to purchase that many external solutions just for the sake on working on nMP, he/she most likely moved onto different platform already......

Reactions: mrxak

filmak

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2012
between earth and heaven
While that image is certainly not real, but it pretty much represents biggest shortcomings of nMP. It no longer represents elegant solution if you keep adding stuff via external solution compared to cMP where it could be kept internally.
But most likely if the one had to purchase that many external solutions just for the sake on working on nMP, he/she most likely moved onto different platform already......

Unfortunately this image is not away from reality. Of course if you 're careful you can still have a tidy place.
This was certainly a positive point of the beautiful cMP.

Reactions: mrxak

s-hatland

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2014
can't pop the popcorn fast enough for this thread!!

seriously, though, i don't blame apple for waiting on newer technology when it's moving as slow as it is lately. i do blame them for castrating what used to be a top-tier, pro machine with options (i realize the nmp has "options", but when you compare that number with the number of options the cmp had/has - it's a huge difference)

mac pro isn't going anywhere (availability nor direction) but when it gets updated with the newest goods, i'm about due for a new one, so i'll just wait for that to happen and likely drink that sweet, sweet koolaid.

Reactions: Melodist
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.