Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisWes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
New York City
For various reasons, I've decided to buy a G5 PowerMac rather than be a first adopter of the Intel update in the fall. My question is, will there be another G5 PowerMac update before the Intel's come out in the fall? That's still six months away, and the present PowerMac's have been out about 6 months already. By update, I don't only mean processors (like, say, a 2.5 dual core from the present 2.3), but also a better video card or other hardware? Or do you think this is it?

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Chris, I've been asking the same question as you for the past few months and I really hoped they'd do a hardware bump (not processor change, but improve graphics card or larger HD, etc) before my ADC student discount expired (well, my membership). My membership expired yesterday and I ordered my g5 last week. What that means is that there's a good chance there will be an update now.

Seriously though, I think there might be a minor update especially if the intel mac pros aren't announced until august just to help them clear out their g5 processor stock. I wish they just would have done it a little earlier so I could take advantage of it too.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
no, i don't think so. I think all new machines are going to be intel from now on. they don't want to confuse people by saying "we're switching to intel! ....but look, we are still putting out PPC products because Intel isn't ready yet." I think that would send the wrong message, and I highly doubt they'll do it.

ChrisWes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
New York City
Good point Cassidy, though perhaps Apple will quietly improve some specs. They had done that quietly several times with the PowerBooks, like increasing hard drive size or the read/write speeds of the CD drive. Still I wouldn't mind them throwing in a 2.5 dual core at their current 2.3 dual core price point. Maybe I'll wait a month or two more to see if there are any tweaks.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
p0intblank said:
Definitely not... you can quote me on that. Apple is only looking into the future from here on.

I wouldn't be so definate. There is a chance simply because Apple, like all companies, are in it to make money. The Powermac line is old and could use one more speed bump to hold people over until the Intel desktop mac come out. Who's to say that they won't sell Intel alongside of PPC? As for the speed bump, it would be relatively simple to do one more bump and that would help sales through the summer. There are a lot of professionals who need the speed and can't wait for all of the pro apps to be ported to UB, nor do they want to buy the first versions that come out. I think the transition to stable professional desktops is going to take a year, and in the meantime Apple would be losing sales if they don't stay competitive in the desktop market. You can quote me on that.

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
Doubt it. Like QCassidy352 said, everything is going intel and it probably wouldn't be good PR to do a PPC bump now.

ChrisWes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
New York City
The IBM processors used in the current line max out at 2.5 ghz by IBM's own design spec, so I'm not expecting anything more than that. Apple has taken that chip set design as far as it can go by using the highest speed IBM makes and multiplying it by 4 (the quad).

Rather my thought was that since there is still about six months (a hell of a long time) to go before even the first desktop Intels, and a whole year until a Photoshop UB (not to mention printer and scanner drivers, monitor calibration software, 3rd party plugins, raw converters), I'm hoping they'll "tweak" with better video cards, larger HD, or maybe use the highest 2.5 speed in the dual core model without any price leap. I guess we'll have to wait and see, but I agree any tweak won't be earth shattering, just perhaps giving us a tad more for the money than they do presently. It's more a question of better configurations using current technology at a given pricepoint, rather than any breakthroughs.

bah-bah'd

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2006
You don't think apple could continue to push PPC marketing to a niche like Quad processor machine owners without disrupting iNtel machine sales? From what I understand, PPC is not going away by any means. If they are going to put it in game consoles...

edit: removed pointless cite

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
p0intblank said:
Definitely not... you can quote me on that. Apple is only looking into the future from here on.
Exactly. Technologically there's no reason why they couldn't, from the marketing side...this would be a disaster.

There will be no more PPC updates in any Apple line. I think that's been pretty clearly established. So to the OP, no worries, you won't miss out on a PPC upgrade.

My money is on the Intel PM being announced at WWDC and shipping 30-60 days after that.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I doubt it. Apple has done silent bumps in the past, but any since intel boxes have shipped? I doubt it.

Not to mention that the faster the G5's are, the smaller the improvement they can brag about will be.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
THX1139 said:
There are a lot of professionals who need the speed and can't wait for all of the pro apps to be ported to UB, nor do they want to buy the first versions that come out.

The contract with IBM is over, done, fini. I can imagine few applications needing more than a Quad G5 in 6 months. If that's not enough, buy two and use fibre channel!

There were some of us who thought (read: hoped) the PowerBook would receive an update before Intel, with the MPC7448 or even, dare I say it, the MPC8641D Dual Core Processor.

I think Apple will rush the Intel PowerMac, just like the MacBook Pro.

The best way for Apple to stay competetive is a price-cut.

bah-bah'd said:
From what I understand, PPC is not going away by any means. If they are going to put it in game consoles...

Those are special-use configurations, with an optimized architecture that isn't suited for conventional computing. Not only that, they take years to develop. They could hardly fab at 65nm; the POWER5 chips are spent.

lonelemur90

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2006
New Jersey
i Very highly doubt it. But why would you even want another update? I think a 2.5Ghz quad core processor which still runs at a more than respectable speed will hold them over until the intel ones arrive later this year if not the beginning of '07. In fact, i think they are just going to make less and less of htem so the powermac transition to intel will be almost instantaneous.

Sammis89

macrumors regular
May 30, 2005
I think that unless there's a problem with whatever Intel chip they're going to put in the PowerMac, there wont be another G5. However, if there ends up being a problem(I dont know what it would be), then i think that they might throw in a small update to feed peoples Mac addiction.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
i doubt it, but hang on if you can

ChrisWes said:
For various reasons, I've decided to buy a G5 PowerMac rather than be a first adopter of the Intel update in the fall. My question is, will there be another G5 PowerMac update before the Intel's come out in the fall? That's still six months away, and the present PowerMac's have been out about 6 months already. By update, I don't only mean processors (like, say, a 2.5 dual core from the present 2.3), but also a better video card or other hardware? Or do you think this is it?

HI Chris,

i doubt they'll bump the G5s before the intel versions come out. I'm personally waiting for the new ones to come out so i can buy a Powermac G5 at a discounted rate. Anything would be good, but i'm hoping to rack enough sales to justify the need. I find my dually 2.0 is a great machine so if i can get another one, i'll be one happy little camper :)

the G5 imacs went down in price so i'm hoping for a repeat.. :)

ChrisWes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
New York City
Good point Keebler. Probably it's more likely there'll be a price drop on the current PowerMacs over the summer/fall as Intel gets nearer, rather than any bump in specs soon. I guess I'll wait a bit and see what happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.