Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Computer Idiot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2014
Bear with me here, there is a rationale behind asking this...I had some viruses and malware on a laptop. I ran Malwarebytes, superantispyware and AVG (free versions) and took the remedial action. Because I am paranoid I then rest my router several times and then bought a new laptop as I need 100% confidence for shopping for elderly family members.

The new laptop became infected with the SAME malware that affected the old one, before I had even visited any website other than Malwarebytes and superantispyware to download. And even though I have NOT switched that old laptop on since I thought I had isolated the issues with the free software.

I am in touch with a technical support subscription service (iYogi) but they cannot explain why this has happened. My ISP refused to accept that this even happened, saying it is impossible. Great.

I am thinking of getting an iPad on credit as Apple products do not seem to suffer the same problems. This is my STUUUUPID question: is there any way the malware and viruses that are affecting my laptops and/or router will or could affect the iPad?

I don't want to fork out another hefty sum to find the same problems. Any thoughts, guys?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I am thinking of getting an iPad on credit as Apple products do not seem to suffer the same problems. This is my STUUUUPID question: is there any way the malware and viruses that are affecting my laptops and/or router will or could affect the iPad?
There is currently no malware that can run on an iPad, unless you jailbreak it. Windows malware cannot run on Mac OS X or on iOS devices.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
It's extremely unlikely that malware you may have gotten on your laptops would get on an iOS device.

That said... some information would be helpful about what you're experiencing. What kind of symptoms are you seeing?

Malware that infects computers before you even do anything on the internet is pretty much only in the theoretical stages at this point. Or something you might only get if you're doing something that certain three-letter agencies are interested in knowing about.

There is also the possibility that your router has malware on it, redirecting you to certain sites and such. In that case, no computer you buy will avert the problem; the router has to be reflashed. But again, without knowing exactly what's going on and what behaviors you're seeing, theres no way of telling for sure.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
your windows malware won't be able to spread to any other operating systems like iOS, OSX, linux, amigaOS, android,....

so you should be save on ios. besides, there is no anti-virus software for ipad, so you wouldn't notice anyway :)

what malware, viruses have you got?

Last edited:

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Wih an iPad, you will be safe paying your bills and ordering merchandise. Do NOT do it on public wifi, cause the info may be seen and stolen while exposed.
I pay my bills, even my house payment on my iPad. I shop Amazon and eBay with my iPad.
I've not had a hint of a problem. My banks are connected as well.
Use good judgement and don't answer any emails trying to sell you something. Period. Delete them unread.
Good judgement and an iPad should keep you safe IMO, although in this world of cyber bandits, things could change overnight but I don't think it will any time soon.
My 2 cents.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
im interested in knowing what is the name for that malware... possible false alarm?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.