Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
I was given a Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 9 200GB ATA/133 drive ( i have no idea if it works or not )

Will this HDD work inside of my G5? If so that's great news because thats a free extra 200GB scratch disk for me :)

if you guys know id would love to hear from ya

gothicx00

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
If we are talking about a PowerMac G5 tower, I can't remember if there are two IDE chains on the MB. The main system drive is a SATA drive. But if not you could spend $30 on an external case and run it in via Firewire. It'd be just as fast if not faster.

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
i mean as far as the connections go. (I know all about using and manipulating computers, but im a fish out of water when it comes to changing components lol )

gothicx00

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
While that is slick looking, you can pick up a generic case just about anywhere. I'm willing to bet your local computer shop will have one, and if they don't, they might be able to order you one from their distributor and save you the hassle of paying shipping.

I personally prefer Adaptec external cases, partly for looks and cooling but mostly because my gf works at a local major chain retailer and I get em cheap (like nearly half retail, which is $60). But really anything will work as long as it's got ATA on the inside and USB/Firewire on the out side.

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
i went over to compusa and got one for $35 it is from acomdata ( never heard of them )

plugged it all in reassembled everything and bam. it works. I reformatted it to HFS journaled and now i have an extra 200GB backup drive! yay!

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
gothicx00 said:
Did you have any doubt that it would? :p

I had a few fleeting moments of doubt because the box said 3.5" IDE drives and i didn't know if that was the same thing.

( and setting the master plug on the hard drive itself, had to look that one up )

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
well i'll be! look at that, that would have been a great way to go. Lol i wish someone told me about that sooner.

Oh well, I'll keep that in mind for the future.

thanks!

gothicx00

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
timswim78 said:
It can work if you get an SATA to PATA adapter.
Obsidian6 said:
well i'll be! look at that, that would have been a great way to go.

Don't feel too bad. I feel like an idiot for not thinking of that solution either.

BTW for future reference, all HDD designed for desktops are 3.5" drives. Nearly all the drives intended for use in laptops are 2.5"
It's a universal standard. You can use 2.5" drives in a desktop, and it is far easier with sata than pata (no adapter needed) and i've seen it done a few times for small formfactor cases, but it is a rairity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.