Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacintoshMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Britain
Hi there,
I have a powermac G4 quicksilver but I want a MDD logic board to make my computer faster. If I do, will it still work with all my other parts like the RAM, IDE Hard drive, Airport card etc... What parts (If any) will not work from the QS with a MDD Logic Board.
Thanks,
John.

(P.S I understand the case wont fit but I'm not using that case)

Last edited:

MacintoshMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Britain
Which is the most reliable logic board?

Hi there,
Which is the most reliable logic board out of these:

1. Apple G3 Logic Board
2. Apple G4 QS Logic Board
3. Apple G4 MDD Logic Board
4. Apple G5 Logic Board

Which one is least prone to problems?
Thanks,
John.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
They're all pretty reliable, I'd say all very reliable, and while the G5 series is the most problem-prone, I think thy're still reliable machines, however, I'd never buy one of the non-Dual-Core models (such as the Single and Dual processor models), both for reliability and performance factors.

Looking to trade a Mac Mini CD 2GB of RAM for a Dual Core G5 as I type this, actually :)

Strimkind

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2009
The PSU, and RAM will not work. The HD, Video Card, PCI cards, and airport card will all work with the MDD logic board. I am not sure about the QS CPU (probably will not).

Why are you just wanting to buy the logic board rather than the whole unit?

MacintoshMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Britain
The PSU, and RAM will not work. The HD, Video Card, PCI cards, and airport card will all work with the MDD logic board. I am not sure about the QS CPU (probably will not).

Why are you just wanting to buy the logic board rather than the whole unit?

Thanks for that!
For me it's cheaper to buy the logic board + CPU than the whole mdd computer.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Not trolling or anything, but as Zen said, surely the motherboards wont line up? Unless you don't mind butchering the case.

VQ7+

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
Parts that are transferable...

IDE hard drives, IDE cd/dvd rom, video card and pci cards, and the older airport cards (depending on the MDD model).

parts that can't be transferred...

the cpu (MDD uses a different cpu design, but has the same connector), ram (Quicksilvers PC-133 vs MDD DDR-266/333), power supply, case.

As for the Airport card, some MDD models can use the original card, while later models can take the Airport Extreme (802.11g) cards.

MacintoshMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Britain
Will any mdd logic board work with the 1.42GHZ cpu?

Hi there,
Will any mdd motherboard work with the mdd 1.42cpu? I know someone who has a mdd logic board from a 1ghz mdd.
Thanks,
John

MacintoshMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Britain
googlw is your friend.

http://www.everymac.com

1.42GHz DP is 167MHz FSB, so any 167MHz FSB LoBo would take the 1.42GHz CPU.

Thankyou for your reply!
So I guess the:

Apple 167MHz FW800 PowerMac G4 Logic Board 630-4496

would work with the 1.42Ghz?

Also, Will all my existing parts from the powermac G4 QS work such as the hard drive, graphics card, airport card etc...?
I understand that the Powermac QS case won't fit, but I'm using a different case so that isn't a problem!

Thanks!
John.

Last edited:

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
There is only one 1.42 and that is the PowerMac G4 1.42 Dual Processor FW800.
Your hard disk will work, direct swap. The gfx card if it came from dual QS should work, be sure it is 4x AGP. Airport card I am afraid will not. Your RAM from QS will not work on a FW800.

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
A 1.42 ghz MDD cpu will work in a 133 MDD logicboard, but it will be reduced in speed. *aka 933 MHz or something like that* The video card will be transferable. As long as it's not a flashed PC Nvidia 6800. They don't work so well on an MDD. The IDE hard drives and CD rom will work. The memory on the other hand will not work so you will need to get DDR ram (DDR-400 will work and run at DDR-333 speeds in the MDD). As for the Airport card, if the MDD has an 802.11b connector like on the QS, then yes, it will work. If not, then you will need to upgrade to a Airport g card like in the iMac G5 and Powermac G5's.

MacintoshMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Britain
Will the Antec High Current Gamer 520W PSU work with the Apple G4 FW800 Logic Board?

Hi there,
I'm doing a custom build computer

I will be using:

Apple G4 FW800 Motherboard
Apple G4 1.42 Ghz CPU
Nvidia GPU
Kingston RAM
Arctic Cooling fans
Sony DVD drive
Seagate IDE 120GB
Antec High Current Gamer 520W PSU

Will the antec high current gamer work with all these parts?
I won't be using an apple case so room isn't an issue

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2007
Hi there,
I'm doing a custom build computer

I will be using:

Apple G4 FW800 Motherboard
Apple G4 1.42 Ghz CPU
Nvidia GPU
Kingston RAM
Arctic Cooling fans
Sony DVD drive
Seagate IDE 120GB
Antec High Current Gamer 520W PSU

Will the antec high current gamer work with all these parts?
I won't be using an apple case so room isn't an issue

I can't speak to the PSU issue per se as that's not my area of expertise, but owning a Mirrored Door G4, I often joke about it as my winter space heater because it gets so hot I've burnt up graphics cards in it so many times that I re-programmed the fans to fire up to a higher speed, so if you're going to trick this thing out, I suggest you do the same with the internal fans. Those 1.42 G4 chips get smoking hot quick.

What Nvidia GPU are you considering by the way?

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
Hi there,
Which is the most reliable logic board out of these:

1. Apple G3 Logic Board
2. Apple G4 QS Logic Board
3. Apple G4 MDD Logic Board
4. Apple G5 Logic Board

Which one is least prone to problems?
Thanks,
John.

All of your questions that you ask on this forum can be answered with a quick google search.
Not trying to be rude, but it is just a suggestion. :eek:

nwc6624

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2011
nm
i would simply upgrade to one from eBay.......it would cost a little bit more, but you wouldn't need a new processor and ram...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.