Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crampy20

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2005
macridah said:
Will the xServer be transitioning to intel chips as well? Will it be 64 bit?

it will be xeon (64)

xserve and xserve raid will transition and i think the guys in that sector are also building for a third xserve type ;thing; but i cant imagine what it would be...

(i work for intel see my 30th anniversary mac post)

crampy20

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2005
localghost said:
why not woodcrest?
any chance we will find woodcrest in the desktop (aka mac pro)?

i dont know, it depends on when xserve is released woodcrest is on target for 3rd quarter and the new mac pro but it wont be around any time soon (2-4 months prob) but apple will undoubtably try and use it before any-one else can get their hands on it

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
localghost said:
why not woodcrest?
any chance we will find woodcrest in the desktop (aka mac pro)?

Woodcrest is a codename. If Intel follows their past behavior, its official name will be Xeon. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they change, since they dropped the Pentium name for CoreDuo.

lexfuzo

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
The heart of Europe
MaCaDDiCT21 said:
ok, Im an Intel Noob. Whats the difference between Itanium and Xeon. Arent they both built for servers and workstations?
They share the same target audience (more or less) - servers and workstations, as you say.
But they have a very different internal architecture. The Xeon uses the same architecture (x86) as all the Pentiums. The Itanium is different (IA64)
I don't think you will ever see an Itanium in a Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.