Will xServe tranistion to Intel

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by macridah, Feb 5, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502a

Feb 18, 2004
    Will the xServer be transitioning to intel chips as well? Will it be 64 bit?
  2. macrumors newbie

Dec 6, 2005
    it will be xeon (64)

xserve and xserve raid will transition and i think the guys in that sector are also building for a third xserve type ;thing; but i cant imagine what it would be...

(i work for intel see my 30th anniversary mac post)
  3. macrumors regular

Nov 17, 2002
    why not woodcrest?
    any chance we will find woodcrest in the desktop (aka mac pro)?
  4. macrumors newbie

Dec 6, 2005
    i dont know, it depends on when xserve is released woodcrest is on target for 3rd quarter and the new mac pro but it wont be around any time soon (2-4 months prob) but apple will undoubtably try and use it before any-one else can get their hands on it
  5. macrumors 68030

Sep 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Woodcrest is a codename. If Intel follows their past behavior, its official name will be Xeon. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they change, since they dropped the Pentium name for CoreDuo.
  6. macrumors member

Oct 10, 2004
    Chandler, AZ
    ok, Im an Intel Noob. Whats the difference between Itanium and Xeon. Arent they both built for servers and workstations?
  7. macrumors 6502

Mar 15, 2005
    The heart of Europe
    They share the same target audience (more or less) - servers and workstations, as you say.
    But they have a very different internal architecture. The Xeon uses the same architecture (x86) as all the Pentiums. The Itanium is different (IA64)
    I don't think you will ever see an Itanium in a Mac.