Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
I really like Aqua a *lot* more than XP. In fact, I think XP does look fisher price-like and the color scheme certainly adds to that look.

That being said, I do think that XP is a needed overhaul to the crappy classic Windows look. As Mr. T would say, the old look was helluva ugly.

M$ does allow the classic theme to be applied in XP, though. And I see a lot of people using it. So I think the old blue-grey theme will be around for a while. Ha!

Matthew

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
if you are running VPC my advice would be to run and ONLY run windows2k that is VERY reghacked. take out all unnecessary boot programs and only use administrator with all other logins deleted. give it 256MB of ram if you have it, and only install SP1. i do not run VPC but i have ridiculous winblows experience. XP is bloatware that adds things completely unnecessary to mac users and has no special support that win2k does not.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
I am in a company which has just got 30 brand new Dell PCs and I was asked to put Win2000 on all of them (they had XP on them)

I refused so my father had to do it!

DOWN WITH WINDOWS!

(We still have more Macs and **** PCs.

Ensign

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by Ensign Paris
I am in a company which has just got 30 brand new Dell PCs and I was asked to put Win2000 on all of them (they had XP on them)

I refused so my father had to do it!

DOWN WITH WINDOWS!

(We still have more Macs and **** PCs.

Ensign

not everything will work and you may lose data...not a good idea...windows 2000 does not play well with usb and firewire and works sometimes with adobe products

but if its only for using microsoft office, then that is ok

windows 2000 was supposed to have windows nt reliability and the multimedia aspects of windows 98...well at least the stability factor worked out for the most part but windows 2000 as a multimedia os is bad even by windows standards

xp is windows 2000 with a new gui and a multimedia boost...only time will tell if that is the case though

i have a friend who had an xp machine and he put windows 95 on it because he is an old dog (10 years in the field) and is completely unwilling to learn anything new...the amazing fact that he is in IT for 10 years in the first place is commendable, espeically since he hated computers from day one

have your dad email me if he decides to put windows 2000 on a pc made for windows xp

jef
microsoft certified professional
unicorn@mbay.net

tallscot

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2002
Just use the metallic theme

XP has built-in themes and the Metallic theme looks close enough to OS X for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.