Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sandleford

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2008
Linux has a version of nvidia driver that works for my mac pro in efi mode. You know if windows does?
I looked around but maybe I missed it.

Just cloned the windows install I have and it took like an hour and a half. The funny part is afterwards I used mbr2gpt.

kaidelorenzo

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2018
Has anyone had success on the mid 2009 iMac? I can't even boot the installer.
Ok I was finally able to boot various windows 8 and 10 installers. However, they take a long time to get to the installer welcome page, and then when I try to use diskpart the internal HDD doesn't seem to be recognized correctly. Everything with diskpart is super slow and none of the commands I run seem to work correctly.

Does anyone have any advice for what I might try next?

larkrahman

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2021
Well just checking in, I managed to get this working on my Macbook Pro.

I am not having very much success reproducing this on my Mac Pro. However, I believe this is because I integrated all boot camp drivers into my install.wim file and not just the Nvidia drivers. I will check back sometime tomorrow with my findings.
Hi,

Does anyone have the EFI script for the :

iMac11,1 ("Core i5" 2.66 27-Inch Late 2009 with ATI Radeon HD 4850) ;
MacBook6,11 ("Core 2 Duo" 2.26 13" Uni/Late 09 with geforce 9400) ;

Thanks in advance ...
Hi did you find the efi script for 2009 late 27 Inch with ati video card. Would be so greatfull if you could share.
Hi,

Does anyone have the EFI script for the :

iMac11,1 ("Core i5" 2.66 27-Inch Late 2009 with ATI Radeon HD 4850) ;
MacBook6,11 ("Core 2 Duo" 2.26 13" Uni/Late 09 with geforce 9400) ;

Thanks in advance ...
Hi can you share efi script Imac late 2009 ati 4850
Thanks

atway70

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2022
away8907 checking back in after a conversation reminded me of this endeavor. Wild that it has 46 pages today.

kocoman

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Now that it's morning, I can go into more detail with this:
1) It's legal as long as the user (the owner of the device) is responsible for the modification.
2) It's hard to explain to the users that they are buying an application that modifies the flash and that they take all responsibility over bricking their device (and voiding the warranty in the process). They are paying hard money to brick their device.
3) If the user updates his firmware, he would need to reinstall the application in the firmware.
The process would be the following:
a) I generate a EFI Firmware Volume containing the Boot DXE (Posts the OptionROM and sets the VGA regs and switches the gMux to the correct video card) and the Runtime DXE (provides the RS->QueryVariableInfo service) and possibly other goodies (say some not yet written filesystem drivers like NTFS, ExFAT, EXT4, ZFS, etc.).
b) The user runs the setup application that sets the correct NVRAM variables and adds the Firmware Volume as an EFI FFS File in main Firmware Volume.
c) When the machine reboots, the DXE dispatcher automatically loads the Boot DXE and the Runtime from the Firmware Volume and runs them DXE _BEFORE_ loading the BootPicker. As a result, you can run Windows Vista SP1+, 7 and 8 straight from the original DVD.

While the process is clear, I'm not sure on the risks and I think that we should test on all possible logic boards and have a white list in the Setup Application of the logic boards that have been tested successfully and are confirmed working, otherwise I will not attempt this. The problem is that testing this requires testing the app on ALL post 2008 Mac logic boards and firmware versions and a few months ago when I counted them it was more than 50 logic boards, each with 2 or more firmware versions.

I believe you can understand why I'm hesitating.

The good news is that the Flash on most Macs is half empty, so there's enough room for this.

Furthermore, this method could be used to replace the bootpicker on each mac with a "Lion Recovery" aware one and to add AirPort card booting to all Macs (basically add the Broadcom wireless DXE to them). There are a lot of things that could be improved by editing the flash. You could take down the start-up time on a lot of Macs, clean the flash of duplicate files (some Macs have two copies of the discrete Option ROM), improve the bootpicker with Lion Recovery and Airport support, etc.
Has anyone got Bus/Pci/BroadcomWireless/4360 dxe to work with ipxe? thx

SamDaaEpic

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2023
Is Anyone Alive in this Thread???? If so, Does anyone have any idea on how to run Windows 10 In EFI Mode on my Macbook Pro 5,1? I've looked through this entire thread and only found 2 or 3 mentions on my mac model, I did try everything stated in the guides people wrote from slipstreaming drivers into the iso to going to the efi shell and setting the gpu and then booting; Nothing Worked for me. Any help would be really appreciated.

tqbinh

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2016
I figured out how to convert a Bootcamp Win7 installation on my 2009 Macbook Pro to EFI, everything works except the following caveats: screen brightness control doesn't work (starts at full brightness or likely the brightness of screen when OSX shutdown), webcam maybe doesn't work, bluetooth untested. Bootcamp Control panel won't open without a hack. Check my wiki post: http://wiki.bazz1.com/w/index.php/EFI_Win7_Macbook_Pro_5,4_2009
The link is broken, could you, please, post this wiki here?

tqbinh

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2016
My efforts for running Windows 7 in EFI mode on Macbook Pro 17" 2009 are all unsuccessful, even with VGAShim.
I ended up by running Windows 7 in legacy mode, but from GPT disk. I followed this instruction and use rEFInd to boot from the helper USB. This allow me to give away hassles in converting GPT back and forth to Hybrid MBR and renew BCD record every time I switch from Windows 10 UEFI to Windows 7 legacy.
The reason I prefer Windows 7 over Windows 10 is that Windows 7 renders text better using MacType.

Windows 7Pro2009

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2022
My efforts for running Windows 7 in EFI mode on Macbook Pro 17" 2009 are all unsuccessful, even with VGAShim.
I ended up by running Windows 7 in legacy mode, but from GPT disk. I followed this instruction and use rEFInd to boot from the helper USB. This allow me to give away hassles in converting GPT back and forth to Hybrid MBR and renew BCD record every time I switch from Windows 10 UEFI to Windows 7 legacy.
The reason I prefer Windows 7 over Windows 10 is that Windows 7 renders text better using MacType.
have you tried using UEFISeven? Apparently it's a fork of vgashim that allows 7 to boot on systems with UEFI Class-3 firmwares.

leo015

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2016
(Original thread : https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/cant-get-windows-fully-working-imac-10-1.2423791/)

Hey everyone, would someone please be kind enough to offer any input/advice to the problem I'm having?

I have an iMac 10,1 (Late 2009, 21.5 Inch, Core 2 Duo E7600, ATI Radeon HD 4670).
The problem is that the internal screen ONLY works with a UEFI installation. Otherwise as soon as I boot either into a Windows legacy setup or legacy installed disk my internal screen goes completely black, no backlight whatsoever. It's like it's disabled, not even recognized in settings. Windows only detects my external monitor. I've confirmed this isn't only a Windows problem but rather booting a BIOS (Legacy) device in general. For example - Plop Boot Manager disc or Zorin Linux install disc. Both turn off my internal screen and show only on external monitor.

If i try to install my GPU drivers on the UEFI installation, then both screens are detected but the internal monitor display is severely corrupted (Image : https://ibb.co/HFn5G0R).

At first I believed it was a driver problem due to Windows. However I now suspect it's a EFI issue.

gotsn0w

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2014
(Original thread : https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/cant-get-windows-fully-working-imac-10-1.2423791/)

Hey everyone, would someone please be kind enough to offer any input/advice to the problem I'm having?

I have an iMac 10,1 (Late 2009, 21.5 Inch, Core 2 Duo E7600, ATI Radeon HD 4670).
The problem is that the internal screen ONLY works with a UEFI installation. Otherwise as soon as I boot either into a Windows legacy setup or legacy installed disk my internal screen goes completely black, no backlight whatsoever. It's like it's disabled, not even recognized in settings. Windows only detects my external monitor. I've confirmed this isn't only a Windows problem but rather booting a BIOS (Legacy) device in general. For example - Plop Boot Manager disc or Zorin Linux install disc. Both turn off my internal screen and show only on external monitor.

If i try to install my GPU drivers on the UEFI installation, then both screens are detected but the internal monitor display is severely corrupted (Image : https://ibb.co/HFn5G0R).

At first I believed it was a driver problem due to Windows. However I now suspect it's a EFI issue.

I had to create an unattended Windows 7 installation. I don't quite remember all of the details, but I know that it was configured for a UEFI installation, and in the install spec it was set up wipe the internal disk completely and partition it for UEFI using the GPT scheme; it also had IPv4 networking set up for DHCP (connected to Ethernet, no Wi-Fi), and was configured for Remote Desktop access out of the box; I then RDP'd into the Mac, downloaded the video drivers, installed them, and I had video upon the next reboot.

I can't post links in replies yet, apparently, but a quick Google search for 'windows 7 unattended install', yields an article from InterWorks titled ’Creating a Windows 7 Thin PC Unattended Installation'—hopefully that's a good starting point.

Once you build the system image and flash it to a USB stick, you'll start up the iMac holding Option, as usual, and then select the installer, which should be called "EFI Boot" but might be something different. If you've already wiped the internal disk (via a Mac OS X installer USB or CD) then it'll be the only option on boot. The install will take some amount of time, and after the Mac reboots, you can try connecting it to Ethernet and using RDP to access it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.