Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
How do you hate OS X? I've never heard this from an Apple fan.

I am a huge Apple iOS fan, have owned every iPod, iPhone, and iPad on Day 1 of its release, biggest fan you'll ever find.

But just like 92% of the world in a corporate environment, I'm a power Windows user and am used to how it operates. OSX is like a bad version of Windows, completely frustrating, my kids use it, I can't stand it. Flash forward to May and it was time to replace my Sony VAIO with the next best thin/light option and the new Retina MacBook was up to the task, it runs Windows phenomenally, couldn't be happier. And now that I have an OSX notebook of my very own and could play with it for awhile I can tell you its slow compared to Windows 10, very unintuitive, and gets in the way.

And that's the thing with operating systems today- they need to stay out of the way. No one cares about operating systems anymore. We just want to get to our apps. OSX is invasive, from a different era. Love my MacBook, hate OSX.

BJ

shahin90

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Congrats, sorry it was a bit cumbersome with the install but glad you got it working.

I am using 1920 x 1200 resolution so the type and icons are a bit larger and easier to see. Do a Google Images Search for "2304x1440 wallpaper" and that'll get you started with those.

BJ
interfacelift.com for wallapapers of any size!

Reactions: boltjames

shahin90

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
I am a huge Apple iOS fan, have owned every iPod, iPhone, and iPad on Day 1 of its release, biggest fan you'll ever find.

But just like 92% of the world in a corporate environment, I'm a power Windows user and am used to how it operates. OSX is like a bad version of Windows, completely frustrating, my kids use it, I can't stand it. Flash forward to May and it was time to replace my Sony VAIO with the next best thin/light option and the new Retina MacBook was up to the task, it runs Windows phenomenally, couldn't be happier. And now that I have an OSX notebook of my very own and could play with it for awhile I can tell you its slow compared to Windows 10, very unintuitive, and gets in the way.

And that's the thing with operating systems today- they need to stay out of the way. No one cares about operating systems anymore. We just want to get to our apps. OSX is invasive, from a different era. Love my MacBook, hate OSX.

BJ

I think you are just too used to Windows 10. I grew up using Windows, and switched to OS X 8 years ago and I can not stand Windows 10 anymore. It feels clunky and I can manage my tasks so much smoother on OS X. It is only a matter of preference for most people and for me Windows 10 just feels awful.

I do have a windows PC at home for gaming, so I am familiar with the latest Windows updates.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I think you are just too used to Windows 10. I grew up using Windows, and switched to OS X 8 years ago and I can not stand Windows 10 anymore. It feels clunky and I can manage my tasks so much smoother on OS X. It is only a matter of preference for most people and for me Windows 10 just feels awful.

I do have a windows PC at home for gaming, so I am familiar with the latest Windows updates.

I hear ya, and my son feels the same way.

But in the end, everything that once was considered special about an operating system is called an "app" now, the same things are available on both platforms (iMessage vs. Skype for example, AirDrop vs. Dropbox) I don't think anyone has a special joy or feeling of a great experience with them any more. The great advances in operating systems are over, we're left now with subtleties. What most want is something that boots quickly and gets out of the way so we can launch our browsers and hit up Facebook. And what most don't want is to have to re-learn a different operating system than that which they have already mastered.

BJ

Reactions: shahin90

CatBookPro

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
Salem, MA
I have Windows 10 running with Bootcamp - I use Windows at work (BYOD) for software development purposes.

I have to say that I do like both operating systems... I use OSX for personal stuff (iTunes / Photos / Logic music remixing).

As a personal preference: I like Windows Mail / Calendar for consolidating my personal mail and calendar with my Exchange/work stuff. I feel as though Apple should update their mail app a bit more. I like the way that I can just have the Windows mail/calendar worker processes running in the background without having the apps opened. But that's just my personal opinion. I had the "Letterbox" Mac Mail AddIn back in the Snow Leopard days, and the latest Mac Mail app looks exactly the same.

In regards to Win10 - I've had no issues at all with software dev tasks in Windows 10 (rMB / 1.3 model)

Reactions: boltjames

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
1990s? But XP wasn't released until August 2001! The 1990s called asking for their next century OS that was still supported until 2014 back!
I'm guessing you don't follow the black hat conference and competition. You and others bromances with OSX and IOS security would be questioned.

CatBookPro

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
Salem, MA
I'm guessing you don't follow the black hat conference and competition. You and others bromances with OSX and IOS security would be questioned.

Wasn't this supposed to be about Windows 10 on the rMB?

Sorry to be one of the a%%holes to stop the arguments, but this is one of the reasons I haven't posted to MacRumors that much over the past years...

Again... sorry to be such a douche, but let's keep the forum on-topic... please? Please? I'm asking in all honesty - We all have our opinions, and so do I, but these question/topics seem to go off track way too often

lite426

macrumors regular
May 24, 2013
Scaling: I played with this quite a bit, suggest you try setting the resolution to 1920 x 1200 and then adjust the scaling to 150%. I find that this gives me terrific retina resolution and text size that's better on the eyes.
BJ

How do you cope with that res?! I tried and that's waaaay less sharp than the native 2304*1440!

You've just been updated to the November update for Windows 10 which is major and causes a few bumps to Boot Camp.

To fix the keyboard controls for volume and keyboard backlight, first shut the notebook down. Then reboot to OSX. Then shut down. Then boot into Windows 10. That should solve the problem. If it doesn't, you need to reinstall the Boot Camp drivers (see earlier post, download them on the OSX side to a thumb drive, bring them over to the Windows side to install).

It's a strange Apple sequencing thing. Boot Camp drivers don't like having Windows installed 'over' them; they like to be installed 'over' Windows 10.

BJ

Thanks for this suggestion. Have reinstalled the drivers, I still experienced the issue of left click being held down in some applications, and in games it sometimes didn't work altogether, very annoying. I haven't had the problems with the brightness and keyboard backlight again yet, or with the high CPU usage of the Bootcamp assistant. Hopefully those are resolved for good.

Last edited by a moderator:

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
How do you cope with that res?! I tried and that's waaaay less sharp than the native 2304*1440!

I don't see a difference in image clarity and I need a more reasonable area for icon size, cursor size, and certainly text size. If there is a better way to get all that and keep the 2304 x 1440 native resolution instead of 1920 x 1200 I'd love some advice, would try it right away.

BJ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.